Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Unable to complete XP repair install

by manu08 / April 23, 2007 6:14 AM PDT

I've been trying to do a XP Home Edition repair install for a very long time now. I've restarted it a lot of times but in the "Installing Windows" section when it says setup will approximately complete in 25 mintues it starts "copying files", I get this "copy error"

"Setup cannot copy the file licwmi.dl_.

Ensure that the disk labeled 'Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 1 CD' is in the drive section below, or provide the location where the file can be found."

Why is this coming and how do I get rid of it? I've tried copying the files from the cd onto an external hard drive and browsing to that location to copy the file but that doesn't seem to work either. I also made a copy of my XP HE cd and that didn't work either. Any ideas?
I've disconnected all but one of my hard drives, all but one of my optical drives, disconnected my sound card and also am using only one RAM module.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Unable to complete XP repair install
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Unable to complete XP repair install
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I've seen those type of "cannot copy..." errors...
by Edward ODaniel / April 23, 2007 6:22 AM PDT

many times when attempting to install from a DVD drive rather than a CD drive.

You might also copy the CD to a directory on the hard drive and attempt the install directly from the hard drive.

Collapse -
Tried that...
by manu08 / April 23, 2007 6:31 AM PDT

Well, initally I was trying to do the XP repair install using my cd-writer and since it didn't work with that I tried it with the dvd-writer. Now that doesn't work either. How did you manage to fix it when you got the "copy errors"? I copied the contents of the XP HE cd onto my external hard drive and tried using the external hard drive instead of the XP HE cd as the source to copy the files from but that didn't work either.

Collapse -
When I have copy errors I find these to be the cause.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 23, 2007 6:39 AM PDT
In reply to: Tried that...

1. It's not a Microsoft XP CD.
2. It's a bum copy.
3. To fix item 2 I copy the original with a verify pass at 1/2 the rated media speed.
4. If it still fails I disable the CPU L2 CACHE and retry.
5. I unplug any extra USB device.
6. I replace RAM.
7. I point a big fan at the machine's internals.

That may not be all I've done but I don't have a good description of the machine, it's age, if there are bloated caps, etc.

Bob

Collapse -
Tried most of them.
by manu08 / April 23, 2007 7:01 AM PDT

Well, I'm 100% sure it's an authentic Microsoft CD. The upper surface of the cd is holographic. The only thing is, when I notice it carefully it says "Version 2002", does this mean Service Pack 1?
Also, nothing except my keyboard, mouse and monitor is connected to my machine. Right now I've even disconnected my UPS and have connected the machine directly to the socket.
I have an Intel D875PBZ motherboard, tried looking for an option to disable the L2 Cache but couldn't find anything, any ideas?
I bought new RAM just a week back, I'm going to try the repair install again with that pair and see how it goes. If there is an improvement I guess the old RAM is bad and I'll post back though I don't really think it would help. If you come up with any more suggestions please do post them up.
Also, I'm in an A/C room so I really doubt the computer is overheating, when I checked in the BIOS the processor was at 40C and system zone 1 and 2 were in the high 20s.

Collapse -
"Version 2002" could be a bad sign.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 23, 2007 7:05 AM PDT
In reply to: Tried most of them.

There were bad counterfeit copies with that. Try another XP CD. We don't care which as we only need to sort it out.

You didn't tell about the board before but XP (all versions) can't install to SATA without help in most cases. I don't ask for such details since the forum note asks each time you post.

Bob

Collapse -
I've installed using CD before
by manu08 / April 23, 2007 7:20 AM PDT

I've installed XP using this cd many times before without any problem at all. This is the first time I'm performing a repair install and coincidently the first time I've got such an error.
I've got a more interesting note though. I've got a Windows XP Pro SP2 cd with me as well. When it gave me a copy error what I did was insert this XP Pro cd (tried this out a few days back). The copy error went off and then it said that for the setup to proceed further I should insert my XP HE cd. Then another copy error came up (different one) and I inserted the XP Pro cd again and then again the error went off and I was asked for the HE cd. I did this for a very long time until for one file it refused to accept the XP Pro cd even. That just seemed strange to me and I didn't want to mention it in the start cause it could have caused a lot of confusion. I have two SATA hard drives and one IDE hard drive. Now I'm trying to install XP onto my IDE hard drive which before was used only to store data so basically it's not a repair install but just a brand new fresh copy of XP. I'm doing this to see if the other hard drive maybe faulty and to make sure all my hardware in the machine is not defective cause otherwise trying out all these things for the repair install itself could seem pointless and a waste of time.

Collapse -
I'm confused.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 23, 2007 7:24 AM PDT

It appears you didn't duplicate the XP CD as I noted. However you claim all the items I listed were tried.

Help me understand this.

Bob

Collapse -
Explanation...
by manu08 / April 23, 2007 7:31 AM PDT
In reply to: I'm confused.

If you read my initial post you would see I have mentioned that I made a copy of my original XP HE cd and tried using the copied one but that came out with the same problem as well.
Also, I just finished installing XP using the original Version 2002 HE cd on my IDE hard drive without any errors. Now where does this leave me? Is my SATA hard drive having hardware problems or could it be just that the Windows files were so corrupted on my SATA hard drive that the installation could not even be repaired. What do you reckon?

Collapse -
Bingo. Very clear now.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 23, 2007 7:35 AM PDT
In reply to: Explanation...
Collapse -
Thanks..
by manu08 / April 23, 2007 7:45 AM PDT
In reply to: Bingo. Very clear now.

I will go through some of those and try to locate the solution to my problem. Seems to be I needed to install the SATA drivers, never done that before so wasn't aware of it. Will try it out again and post back with the results. And hey, we're all here to help each other out, the last thing we need is frustration growing over some tiny misunderstanding. Thanks a lot for the help. I'll post back if I run into any question marks or if I do manage to find the solution.

Collapse -
Btw...
by manu08 / April 23, 2007 8:52 AM PDT
In reply to: Bingo. Very clear now.

Oh btw, now that I've installed a brand new fresh copy of XP I need to know a few things.
I will want to recover all my data from my other hard drive but I'm guessing I should leave that to the last right? My ethernet card has not yet been detected so I would have to install the drivers for that in order to connect to the internet so I guess I'll have to that right away. After that how should I proceed? In what order should everything be installed on a new installion of XP such as applications, drivers, windows updates, anti-virues, firewall etc. Right now I've got Windows XP Service Pack 1 on my computer after this re-installation.

Collapse -
Yes. Leave that till the end. Here's why.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 23, 2007 10:08 AM PDT
In reply to: Btw...

We don't want to take the chance of an accidental write or delete of it's partition. Just wait till you get the XP all updated with motherboard, video, audio, etc (all the drivers) and then shutdown and add it on.

Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.