HolidayBuyer's Guide

Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

unable to change sound scheme

by pizzaboy1555 / March 21, 2011 10:43 AM PDT

I am unable to change the sounds associated with certain events by going through control panel-- sounds and audio devices--sounds. When I make changes they do not stick. They change back to what they were before.

Any ideas?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: unable to change sound scheme
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: unable to change sound scheme
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
pizzyboy, I had changed my sounds in Media
by Darrell / March 22, 2011 10:49 PM PDT

right click Start to Explore click on that, go to C: down to Windows and in that folder is Media, click to open to see if you have the incorrect sounds in there. They also could have been changed by your using another program that changes them. right click on the sounds there and go to properties and click on that. you see that they can be changed back to another format - mine shows that it is looks like a a small wmp on them, type of file is "wave sound" , under that is "Opens with:" and I have "Windows Media Player" so you know what to change it back to on clicking on "Change" you will see a long list of everything that has an icon, look for the correct one and select it. Now, if Windows Media Player is missing, Browse to Program Files, Windows Media Player folder and to the correct icon in it.
I had mentioned that I had replaced them all with a Media folder [("new folder" renamed)right click on the desktop and there is a list to New and on the side, is a Folder] on the Desktop. I had put other sounds from 2 other sources in there plus winxp sounds. This is an alternative solution. Once all your sounds are in THAT folder on the Desktop you can under Edit on the top of your Media file and select all. I have the red X that will delete them all if you haven't that move, over to File and delete is there. Now you can replace ALL your Media sounds from the Desktop folder under "Edit, select all, and copy both in Edit, hold your left side mouse pointer down on any media sound move the entire sounds listed over into youe Media Folder, this is called Drag and Drop when you release the click. If you can store that folder on the desktop in a floppy or a flashdrive. save it for any other problems with Media and you can delete the Desktop Media folder. Darrell

Collapse -
Darrell
by pizzaboy1555 / March 23, 2011 12:43 AM PDT

As you suggested I looked in the windows\media directory. However, all of my files are Wav files and all will open with windows media player. I am not sure where that leaves me?

Collapse -
Where does this leave you?
by Kees_B Forum moderator / March 23, 2011 1:05 AM PDT
In reply to: Darrell

Yep, that's a common feeling after reading posts by Darrell. Not your fault at all.

So the changes you make in Control Panel>Sounds do not stick. When are they changed back? Could vary from "If I press OK" to "If I reboot".
Also, do you use schemes? If you change the scheme, does that stick?

Kees

Collapse -
He did find that ALL his sounds was intact
by Darrell / March 23, 2011 6:02 AM PDT

BUT then KEES_B loves to put people down.

Collapse -
Where does this leave you?
by pizzaboy1555 / March 24, 2011 6:15 AM PDT

As soon as I click OK and then come back into Control Panel> Sounds the sound scheme for events associated with Windows Explorer revert back to what they were prior to the change. The only way I am able to change those sounds is to edit the Regristry file.

Collapse -
oops
by pizzaboy1555 / March 24, 2011 6:17 AM PDT

got a little keyboard happy and sent the reply twice

Collapse -
I have in the Control Panel, Sounds & Audio Devices
by Darrell / March 25, 2011 5:40 AM PDT
In reply to: oops

Under the Sound Tab, Sound Schemes is "blank", think that is where it reads the default sounds. Is there something listed in that space, pizzaboy1555? That be were the problem is. Mine stay put when I select the sounds down on the bottom. Test to see if they play on the right of that box were you put in the sounds.
Darrell

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.