HolidayBuyer's Guide

Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Unable to change desktop theme and wallpaper!

by corabell99 / July 8, 2010 6:27 AM PDT

I run a Dell XPS M140. I'm ready to pull my hair out. Three days ago I was infected with the "AV Security Suites" virus. I immediately shut down my computer, restarted in Safe Mode With Networking, and ran every single thing I had. I ran Avast, Spybot, Ad-aware, Malwarebytes, CCleaner, Registry Mechanic, Advanced System Care, and Glary Utilities. I thought I got it. I restarted my computer in normal mode and all seemed well until I noticed I cannot change my desktop theme or wallpaper. When I change the theme to "Windows Classic", it works, but when I restart my computer it's right back to the XP theme (green start button/blue taskbars)
My wallpaper is blue. I have searched forum after forum and have tried it all. If I choose a picture, right click set as desktop, I see the preview of what it SHOULD look like, but when I click "apply" and then "ok" nothing changes. Here's a screen shot http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d123/corabell99/untitled.jpg
And just to save you the trouble, here is what I've tried:
"Open Display Properties.
Click the Desktop tab.
Click the Customize Desktop button.
Click the Web tab in the Desktop Items window.
Make sure all checkboxes in this window are un-checked including My Current Homepage.
Restart your computer.
Check to see if you now can change your desktop background.">>>>> Didn't work.>>>>>
Also tried: "erase everything under the folder in your registry (HKeyCurrentUser/Software/Microsoft/Windows/Policies)
except the default key which is inside of the policies folder, and the subfolder called "Explorer". In the Explorer folder should be only two keys, the default key and one other key which reads:
NoDriveTypeAutoRun REG_DWORD 0x00000091 (145)">>>>Also didn't work.>>>
Also tried this with (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE_\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System)
Please help! I think my biggest fear is that there may be something lingering behind from the virus and I'm half-afraid to use it!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Unable to change desktop theme and wallpaper!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Unable to change desktop theme and wallpaper!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Unable to change desktop theme and wallpaper!
by Tufenuf / July 8, 2010 7:10 AM PDT

Try the reg file fixes on line 187 at the link below.

Restore Themes Functionality
Restore Classic Theme

Save the REG File to your hard disk. Double click it and answer yes to the import prompt.

http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm

Tufenuf

Collapse -
More info
by Tufenuf / July 8, 2010 7:29 AM PDT

Go to the link below and under the letter "W"---"Wallpaper - Desktop - Disable Changing" click on (you may want to right click and use Save Target As)the underscored "Allow Wallpaper/Background Changes " to download a reg file fix. Save the REG File to your hard disk. Double click it and answer yes to the import prompt.

http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_abc.htm

Tufenuf

Collapse -
Notepad
by corabell99 / July 8, 2010 8:33 AM PDT
In reply to: More info

Thank you for your prompt reply. I've tried this. I right clicked and "save link as" to my desktop. It saves it in Notepad. When I double-click it it just opens in Notepad. When I right click the file, I see no option to merge at all.

Collapse -
Still not working...
by corabell99 / July 8, 2010 8:56 AM PDT
In reply to: Notepad

I figured out the reg/merge thing. I just ran "regedit" and imported the file. BUT IT'S STILL NOT WORKING! Auuuggghh! The crazy thing is, when I start the computer, the picture I chose to be my desktop wallpaper pops up and I get my hopes up... but then it goes to the Welcome screen and after that - right back to where we started.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.