Browsers, E-mail, & Web Apps forum

General discussion

Unable to Access Specific Site

I've been trying to access the website www.classmates.com, but always get the message ''Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage'' - I am currently using IE7 and can access other sites. By the way, I also had the same problem when I was using IE6. I'm trying to find out why I'm having this problem with this particular site and can access it on other computers/PCs.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Unable to Access Specific Site
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Unable to Access Specific Site
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Questions/suggestions...

In reply to: Unable to Access Specific Site

1.) Have you tried another browser, such as Firefox? If so, what happens?

2.) What security software do you have installed?

3.) Have you checked your HOSTS file to make sure that classmates.com has not been blocked? It can be found in C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc and opened with Notepad or Wordpad.

4.) Do you connect to the internet through a router or gateway? If so, check those settings to see if the site has been blocked.

Let us know.
John

Collapse -
Re: Questions/Suggestions

In reply to: Questions/suggestions...

I downloaded Firefox & Netscape - I'm only able to get to classmates.com's home page, but can't log in. When I click on "log in" via Netscape, I get a message stating that the connection was refused.

I went through the HOSTS file to no avail - no mention of classmates there - I even went so far as adding the site as one of my "allowed" sites...
As far as I know I don't connect to the internet through a router or gateway, although I have DSL service...
I use System Mechanic's security programs: Kapersky's Anti-Virus and Anti-Hacker
Any more suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Collapse -
Can you get

In reply to: Re: Questions/Suggestions

Collapse -
Re: "Can you get..."

In reply to: Can you get

When I tried to go to that link (https://secure.classmates.com/cmo/login.jsp), Firefox displayed "Unable to connect Firefox can't establish a connection to the server at www.classmates.com"
- Netscape displays "The connection was refused when attempting to contact www.classmates.com"

Collapse -
Secure site

In reply to: Re: "Can you get..."

The "https" in the site means it is a secure site.

I wonder of your security settings in all of your browsers are set too high.

In Firefox, goto Tools > Options, and under the Advanced tab, then Security, make sure "Use SSL 2.0" is unchecked and "Use SSL 1.0" and "Use SSL 3.0" are checked.

In Internet Explorer, goto Tools > Internet Options, then under Security, check your Restricted sites. Then under Advanced, scroll down to see if the SSL2, SSL1 and SSL3 settings are the same as for Firefox.

Do you use an anti-spyware utility that blocks certain sites? If so, review those settings.

I hope this helps.

Mark

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.