Question

Unable to access my routers interface.

Hi,

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Unable to access my routers interface.
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Unable to access my routers interface.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Answer
Re: IP-address

That's a quite uncommon IP-address for a router. What does your router
manual say it is?

In Windows, I would use ipconfig to find the
gateway-address or tracert and use the first IP-address it shows. But I
don't know about macs, sorry.

Moreover, most routers only allow access to that page from a wired connection.

Here also: check the manual.

Kees

- Collapse -
Reset

Thanks for the info Kees, so I just reset my router (it's a D-Link DWL-G700AP), I connected directly via cable I entered the default ip adress as described in the manual here and I'm still not able to access my router's settings, how is that even possible?

- Collapse -
Just so we're sure.

In your browser window's address bar you typed in http : //192.168.0.50/ (with no blank spaces), then pressed Enter on the keyboard?

After that, did you see the login window, type in admin for username, but leave the password field blank.

What happened when you did that, what error messages?

Has anyone else accessed this router and perhaps changed the password to something stronger?

Mark

- Collapse -
Re: Just so we're sure.

Yes, I did type in the ip adress in my browser's adress bar exactly like that after connecting my computer with my wireless router via cable, but immediately after I press enter Google Chrome gives me this error:

<div>Error 109 (net::ERR_ADDRESS_UNREACHABLE): Unable to reach the server.

- Collapse -
And you can use Internet normally ...

when connected via a cable?

Kees

- Collapse -
Yes

Yes, when connected via a cable.

- Collapse -
Answer
Router's IP addresses . . .

are usually 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1. I recommend you look at the router's documentation for the specific one for that router (you didn't tell us). The IP address you gave is probably the IP address of your connection to your ISP.

- Collapse -
Answer
Connectivity

Hi.

1. First you need to confirm that your computer and the router are in the same network.
2. You will need to set your network interfaces ip address in the same range as that of the router. From the control panel search for hardware and then network interface, to set its ip address to 192.168.0.51 and mask to 255.255.255.0. Be careful not to set the wireless interface ip address. You also need to enable settings to activate the adapter at boot time.
3. Now you will need to open the terminal window and type "ifconfig -a". This should display your ethernet adapters address. It will be something like "eth0 192.168.0.51".
4. Now type ping 192.168.0.50. Till you get a reply from 192.168.0.50 you will need to troubleshoot. If a reply is received then you will be able to open routers configuration window in the browser.
5. If the ping command shows an error, please post the error and we will proceed further.

Take care.

CNET Forums