General discussion

Unable to access copied folder

I just moved my folder/data/files from Old HD to a new drive, but then I can not access those folder/data/files.

Windows XP Pro-SP2

This is what I do:

Removed Old HD
Install New HD, clean install Windows XP
Installed Old HD as 'Slave'
Copied all folder/data/files to new HD
Remove Old HD
Trying to access or open any folder/data/files... --- Access Denied.. ---

What I'm doing wrong in copying the data/files/folders that causing the problem?

How can I fix this?

Thank You

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Unable to access copied folder
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Unable to access copied folder
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
try this
- Collapse -
Thank you, its work, but

how can I copied any folder/data/files from old HD to the new one, without having to worry about the ownership?

Is there a way to do it?

Thank you again

- Collapse -
Only if you do not use NTFS

If using NTFS permissions are just part and parcel of the FS.

- Collapse -
:-( not all files and folders are created equal

most files (text, mp3, mpg etc) can be copied with no problems....

data files (and the programs that create them) can't be copied Sad

this is because when windows installs a program, it notes exactly where it is, and sort of "puts a signature" on the HD to let it know where to look for it...

to the best of my knowledge you'll have to re-install all your programs on the new hard disk (although i would be happy -for both our sakes- if someone were to prove me wrong...

jonah

- Collapse -
Jonah, I have installed the proram prior to copying.

My mistake if I didn't mention it before.

I nstalled windows XP Pro and most of the critical updates, Install MSOffice XP, then copying the files (Doc, xls, mp3, jpg etc.) from old HD (now its a slave)

Maybe.. just a maybe, because its still contain the OS (even though its as a slave drive)

I would like to try to remove the OS from the old drive and try copying the files... let see what happened.

Have a nice week end..

CNET Forums

Forum Info