Question

Unable to access a particular website from home

I am able to access all website except one particular website from my home network. Also, I am unable to access the same website using my ipod-touch. The website is up and running and it is not down. In order to verify, I took the laptop and ipod touch to starbucks. I was succesfull in accessing the website from starbucks using my laptop as well as my ipod-touch. Also, I tried to replace m existing router with a new router, but still the problem exists. Would really appreciate if you can advise resolution for this issue. Operating System: Windows Vista 64bit

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Unable to access a particular website from home
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Unable to access a particular website from home
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Answer
Site blocked

Since you have tried you equipment on another network it is unlikely it is a software firewall the most common cause of this issue. It is also unlikely it is your router.. I am assuming you do not have any firewall active or do any strange routing. If you can try it without the router by plugging into the modem, if that is a option. If it works without the router be sure to see if you are getting the same IP address both for the router and your PC directly.

I would open a cmd prompt and issue a traceroute to the web site from your home and from starbucks and see where it looks different.... obviously the first couple of hops will be different.

Watch very carefully what ip address the web site resolves to. If it is different you could have a DNS issue. You could try one of the public DNS servers like 4.2.2.2

Most other causes are intentional blocks placed by the ISP or the WEB site. Finding out why the may have blocked it and what it takes to unblock it will take a lot of persistent emails

- Collapse -
Answer
DNS issue most likely

CNET Forums