Samsung forum

General discussion

UN65HU8500FXZA burns HDMI plugged devices

by crespoguido / September 27, 2014 3:56 PM PDT

Hi there, i am really very worried about this problem and need serious help here to know the best way to repair the problem my TV is having.

I bought 4 months ago the new 8500 Series UHDTV beautiful 65" 4K LED TV Model UN65HU8500FXZA Serial 02FV3CDF300511P Manufactured on March 2014, in USA and personally imported to Argentina myself, so i received it on August.
I installed at home on my livingroom where before i had my other Samsung 6500 Series 55" for 2 years and after 2 days of usage it burnt the HDMI output of my HD Cable Receiver, at first i knew that something was wrong and inmediatelly thought that should had been caused by an electrical discharge from the TV thru the HDMI cable to the receiver. The receiver turns on normally, you can see on the display how the channels are changed but there is no video output from it.
As i have other 4 receivers at home, 3 of them to other Samsung LEDs TV, i could quickly test it and replace it by another one. The 2nd one and the 3rd one last for less than a week and today i installed a HDMI Splitter and worked perfectly for around 5 hours and got burnt!!.
As i am in Argentina, i can't send the TV to get repaired under warranty in the US so i would like to conlcude if this is caused by a defective video board so i can get one and replace it direclty.

Please note i tried other HDMI cables and 220v-110v transformers. Also tested the neutral, live and ground power leds to be correctly connected and also the voltage between neutral and ground is zero and ground with live is 220v at the wall.

What is very interesting now is that if i plug the cable receiver with the tv on stand by and turn on the receiver, it tilts, and if it turn it on with the hdmi cable unplugged from the tv it works fine, that's why i tried the splitter but worked for some hours only. I have the ATV2 but don't want to burn it too.

Help will be appreciatted,
Guido Crespo

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: UN65HU8500FXZA burns HDMI plugged devices
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: UN65HU8500FXZA burns HDMI plugged devices
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I fear this would be unsupportable. But trying anyway.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 28, 2014 5:03 AM PDT

When dealing with gear over inverters and transformers I find I "SHALL!!!!" have the mains to the power system and then all gear SHALL be on the same power system. If anyone hooks up one thing to the mains, another to a transformer then there is a chance it can go horribly wrong.

HDMI is not isolated so there is one and only one solution I know of today to stop HDMI burnouts in such a setup. Here is one such from one maker. There may be more.
http://www.gefen.com/kvm/ext-hd-cp-fm10.jsp?prod_id=10661

Bob

Collapse -
HDMI optic extender
by crespoguido / September 28, 2014 7:57 AM PDT

Thank you Bob for your suggestion. I am looking forward to know if the problem is caused by the TV because cause a defective videoboard or power board. It is not a problem of the power transformer as yesterday i swap the Samsung 6500 Series 55" that i have in my bedroom to the living room and is working in same place and with same HDMI cable and same power transformer perfectly.
If the problem is becasue a defective videoboard, i prefer to buy a used one and try it, tha'ts why i would like to receive also a suggestion from a Samsung technician.
Thanks, Guido.

Collapse -
Then ask the maker. My view is simpler.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 28, 2014 8:13 AM PDT
In reply to: HDMI optic extender

This is not a standard power system so all bets are off if things are going to or not going to get fried. The only fix I can offer is to optically isolate devices.

If you feel the set is defective, have it serviced.
Bob

Collapse -
Final conclusion
by crespoguido / September 30, 2014 12:01 PM PDT

HDMI circuits are shorted as the component input works perfectly. It seems the TV did not pass the quality test, as the first cable receiver was damaged after 2 days of usage in continued use surely less than 8-15 hours.

The final test to know that the internal hdmi video board is shorted is that with the tv unplugged from the electricity, and with the hdmi cable connected to it, the cable receiver did not boot.

Samsung, be aware of this issue. If you can give me the part number of the video board so i dont have to open it, i will appreciatte that.

LED TV Model UN65HU8500FXZA
Serial 02FV3CDF300511P
Manufactured on March 2014

Guido Crespo

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.