Samsung forum

Question

UN60F7100 wireless connection keeps dropping

by Kmcollin / January 1, 2015 1:19 PM PST

I really like this TV but am frustrated by regular wireless network connection drops while watching netflix. The tv will also not stay connected long enough to download a software update. It always reconnects immediately when I subsequently search for a network. The router is about 18' from the TV. The current software level is 2203. My wireless connection is configured to use DNS and it is linking to an open network. The wireless Apple TV I have hooked to this TV is located in the same location as the TV and exhibits no dropouts as happens with the TV. I have many other wireless devices that have no issues maintaining a consistent connection.

I have seen numerous forum entries with similar issues but none seem to have a solid solution....other than run a wire across the living room. Ideas?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: UN60F7100 wireless connection keeps dropping
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: UN60F7100 wireless connection keeps dropping
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Since WiFi can be interferred with
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 1, 2015 2:07 PM PST

I like powerline networking. You could try other ideas such as moving to 802.11g WPA2 and various channels.
Bob

Collapse -
Sin
by Kmcollin / January 2, 2015 12:53 AM PST

I can do this but the question remains-- why does my Apple TV stream without a hitch located in exactly the same location? While I agree wired is inherently more stable, Samsung seems to be the problem, not wifi.

Collapse -
You won't be the first or last to ask that.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 2, 2015 12:57 AM PST
In reply to: Sin

Different devices do better or worse. Samsung gets a lot of these questions due to the sheer numbers out there. I have examples where Samsung followed the rules to a fault. Here's one:
http://www.tp-link.us/article/?faqid=510

So an Apple TV would work in that situation because most other products aren't following the rules to the "t".

What to do next? If you feel this is a Samsung issue and will not try the usual, the next move is clear.
Bob

Collapse -
So I guess I run a wire
by Kmcollin / January 2, 2015 3:28 AM PST

Thanks for your help. However, I find it irritating that two Vizio's, 1 chromecast, and a blueray all work fine wirelessly on a *different floor* from the router and the apple TV works fine sitting wirelessly attached right at the TV. Only the Samsung requires I run a wire or use an an a/c line for it even though its in the same room as the router. I'm suspicious Samsung gets a lot of the questions because there is clearly a problem with their product's ability to maintain a connection.

Collapse -
My example was just one.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 2, 2015 3:35 AM PST

It appears that trying the usual is unacceptable. I've yet to read that Samsung has corrected this or improved WiFi range overall and after the set is sold, unless it's broken (as in no WiFi detected) they don't seem to fix it.

That's why I collected a lot of tips about it and troubles folk run into. The market share means more reports than the others.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
I have the same model and have the same issue.
by vdipietro / January 3, 2015 8:37 AM PST

I have the same model Samsung and often when I use Netflix the TV shutdown and tells me the internet is not working. I reload and restart Netflix and sometimes works fine and sometimes shutdowns again. I moved to my Apple TV or Samsung DVD player and have no issues.

Obviously a defect in this model Samsung TV. I just bought the UHD 8550 the TV is great but the WiFi from the TV is very slow and has problems with Netflix high quality streaming, often spooling to catch up. Back to Apple TV and Samsung DVD player. Solution is Apple TV or DVD player.

Collapse -
Answer
UN65F9000 UHD wireless connections keep dropping on NetFlix
by rjm99999 / January 3, 2015 9:23 AM PST

I have owned this tv for 9 months.
I have had the problem since day 1.
I load HD NetFlix and begin watching a movie, during a 2 hour movie netflix tells me I have No Internet connection. After exiting Netflix and reloading Netflix app I resume the movie and it loads and runs for another 20 mins. And I get the No Internet connection again.The Samsung diagnostics shows loss of signal between the TV and the ATT Router. I have had Att 3 times come and upgrade me from 24 mbs to 45 mbs, change the Router Twice to the newest and best and install a battery backup for the Router. As an aside all computers, TV's and network devices are on APC 1250 and larger battery backups and FPL is running at a 99+% no flicker up time, so it's not power. I have run both wireless and RJ45 directly to the Smart Hub. In the last month I installed an Apple TV ver 3 and have not had a failure with Netflix since. I watched 6 full movies without an interruption. I then decided to try the Samsung App just to see what happens and it died in about 20 mins. I have no doubt that the Netfix problem is in the Bios installed in the TV, to upgrade the bios I have to replace the external smart hub. I'm gonna call call Samsung on Monday since the TV is under Warranty and under a Samsung Service contract and get it upgraded or replaced.

Collapse -
Calling Samsung
by Kmcollin / January 3, 2015 11:47 AM PST

I'm interested in what you hear from Samsung. I'm not sure they are going to have a wireless solution unless there are parameters that can be tweaked (e.g., no DHCP).

Collapse -
My 8550 is Slow but does not disconnect
by vdipietro / January 3, 2015 9:24 PM PST
In reply to: Calling Samsung

Just to be clear my 7100 disconnects same as your but the 8550 which I just bought is just slow and has difficulty with streaming high quality movies. It doesn't happen all the time on the 7100 I have been able to update the programing using the wifi. As far as I know the up dated programing hasn't helped my situation.
If new programing would help then I could update either using the wifi or a temporary line connection. I think you can also use a stick drive to update also if needed. Did that on an older Samsung TV. If it's hardware issue well then it is what it is and the DVD player or Apple may be the best solution.

I will contact Samsung also to see what they say.

Collapse -
Answer
See my post under "Samsung forum: Netflix issues on Samsung
by rjm99999 / January 8, 2015 11:20 PM PST

I have a WiFi Problem that fits this post.
Please check it out.
Richard

Collapse -
A link to that post please?
by Kmcollin / January 9, 2015 6:17 AM PST

I cannot seem to find your post in searching the forum. If I search on the phrase you have in your subject (Samsung forum: Netflix issues on Samsung), I get over 14K hits! Apparently I don't understand how to use search in this tool very well or its implementation here is uh...less than optimal.

Collapse -
FYI
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 9, 2015 6:27 AM PST
Collapse -
FYI--I hate re-inventing a subject for every response!!
by Kmcollin / January 9, 2015 6:32 AM PST
In reply to: FYI

thanks, I had just finally figured that out.

Collapse -
(NT) You can sometimes answer it in just one line (like this.)
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 9, 2015 7:09 AM PST
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.