Samsung forum

General discussion

UN55C8000XF/WIS09ABGNX Connection Keeps Prompting

by bseelinger / August 13, 2010 3:58 AM PDT

Apologies if this has been covered but multiple searches on the forum have not produced and close matches to the following issue:

I recently purchased the Samsung LED 3D TV, model UN55C8000XF along with the Samsung Wireless Adapter, model WIS09ABGNX. I also have a Cisco/Linksys wireless router, model WRT54g with the latest firmware that is available on it. I can get the TV with the wireless adapter to connect to the wireless router just fine. The network test passes just fine. The problem is after the TV is powered off and then on again it keeps saying "wireless network detected - do you want to switch from wired to wireless?". I indicate "Yes" and it eventually connects to the wireless router and everything appears to be ok. Then with the TV still on (never powered off since switching from wired to wireless) it asks the same question again in a minute or two. I indicate "yes" again, it eventually connects and all is fine...for another couple of minutes when it keeps asking over and over again.

No other devices, (PC's, iTouch), have this problem with the wireless connection dropping. I also purchased a USB 2.0 extension cable thinking that possibly the signal was being blocked by the TV itself but that didn't help and the TV is literally 20 feet from the wireless router.

Any ideas? By the way WEP is enabled and the SSID does not have any spaces in the SSID name. Again, it connects and "talks" to the internet but seems to be constantly re-prompting me for switching from wired to wireless.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: UN55C8000XF/WIS09ABGNX Connection Keeps Prompting
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: UN55C8000XF/WIS09ABGNX Connection Keeps Prompting
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
When you wrote WEP
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 13, 2010 4:24 AM PDT

I nodded. In the CNET Networking forum the issues with WEP are legendary with folk bewildered by how other machines work fine except this or that one.

The short answer is to move to WPA today. I have limited time today so I can't type in the long reasons why this matters as well as not hiding the SSID or how important it is not to use MAC filters.
Bob

Collapse -
Finally! Thank You R. Proffitt
by bseelinger / August 13, 2010 5:03 AM PDT
In reply to: When you wrote WEP

Your suggestion to move to WPA from WEP did the trick. Working fine now.

Thank You!

Collapse -
My apology.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 13, 2010 5:14 AM PDT

Getting ready for a plane trip but I saw your post fly by in real time.

That should work better and the reasons why can be researched but I'll note that WEP was weak in 2001. http://developers.slashdot.org/story/01/07/27/1734259/New-Weakness-in-80211-WEP

Today a WEP protected(?) network can be connected to in about 120 seconds. As the usual kiddie tool they use also SPOOFS (sorry for the technobabble) the MAC address causing the home owner to wonder why only this or that machine has issues.

Again, WEP networks are safe for about 120 seconds even with hidden SSIDs and MAC filters. Sorry but this is why we move up in security today.
Bob

Collapse -
No Apology Needed - You Were Very Helpful!
by bseelinger / August 13, 2010 5:35 AM PDT
In reply to: My apology.

I had WEP set up years ago and basically never thought about it again. The switch to WPA was quick and painless - and it solved the TV connectivity problem as well as my wireless network being a bit more secure.

Thanks again!

Collapse -
The Problem is Back - Re-Prompting for Switch to Wireless
by bseelinger / August 13, 2010 10:25 AM PDT

I appreciate the help from forum user R. Proffitt, but unfortunately I spoke too soon. The original problem is back. I'm updating this should anyone else is having the same issue they will know that while switching to WPA from WEP may make their network a bit more secure it did not solve the re-prompting issue that was originally posted. Worth a try if anyone else is having this same problem but so far in my case the issue still exists.

I'll try a few other things and will update if this issue finally gets resolved. I welcome any suggestions in the meantime. Thanks!

Collapse -
The Problem is Back - Re-Prompting for Switch to Wireless
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / August 13, 2010 12:04 PM PDT

bseelinger,

This symptom almost sounds like your TV might be in SHOP Mode. Try going to the Plug and Play option and running through the setup again. If you're having trouble getting there, you can also point the remote at the TV and hold down the EXIT button for 15 seconds. You'll be prompted to "RESET?", choose YES [ENTER} and then go through the setup process again.

--HDTech

Collapse -
Problem Still Exists
by bseelinger / August 13, 2010 11:39 PM PDT

Hi Samsung_HD_Tech,

I followed the procedure you recommended, (holding down the exit button and performing a complete reset of the TV). Went through each menu and entered the appropriate choices and also successfully set up the wireless network and performed the internet connectivity test with no problems. Moved on to the rest of the set up and within 45 seconds the TV prompted me twice that it had detected a wireless network and would I like to switch to wireless from wired. Essentially, the same issue was found. I eventually told it not to switch and gave up. Not sure what else to do at this point. Frustrating but thanks for the suggestion.

Collapse -
Problem Still Exists
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / August 16, 2010 7:24 PM PDT
In reply to: Problem Still Exists

bseelinger,

I'm sorry to hear that isn't working out. At this point, it might be best to suggest having your unit inspected and serviced. Constant prompting for the network doesn't seem like normal operating procedures.

Keep me posted.

--HDTech

Collapse -
Having the same problem
by crbl999 / August 18, 2010 10:56 AM PDT
In reply to: Problem Still Exists

I just purchased a UN46C6500 and am using the WIS09AGBN with a 2Wire AT&T router and get the same error message. I called Samsung tech support and talk with tier 1 and tier 2. They told me to try the reset and they were going to check on a firmware upgrade. I am going to try a new dongle and see if that is the problem. If not I guess I need to have the TV looked at, which irritates me because it is less than 30 days old. Let me know if you come up with a solution and I will do the same.

Collapse -
Will Do
by bseelinger / August 18, 2010 12:12 PM PDT

I have tried all of the suggestions listed above as well as trying different wireless channels on the router, (originally 11, then 1 then 6), but the problem still exists. It does appear that the issue is either the TV or the adapter - not the wireless router.

When I purchased the TV they had a promotional package that included a free 3D Blu-Ray Player, 3D start-up kit, etc. One of the other "free" items they gave away was free setup from Best Buy's Geek Squad. I didn't really need them to connect everything up but had to choose the entire package to get the free stuff. I placed a call with them today and they are to arrive tomorrow morning and give everything the once over. It's rolling the dice with Techs as some are good and some not so good. At the very least maybe they can narrow it down and replace something.

I'll post an update tomorrow. It does sound like it may be a firmware bug especially if you are experiencing the same issue, (what are the odds of both having a true hardware failure?).

Thanks for your post.

Collapse -
Update
by bseelinger / August 19, 2010 12:20 AM PDT

The Best Buy Geek Squad came out today. I was able to get the problem to reproduce. Long story short - they noted the issue in the call log and said they would replace the TV if needed but wanted to wait for a couple of weeks to see if indeed there was a software update to correct this issue.

Call log number: 5881640

Collapse -
Update
by crbl999 / August 20, 2010 8:24 AM PDT
In reply to: Update

Received a new dongle from Amazon yesterday. I watched TV for 3 hours last night and had the TV on for about 4 hours today. Error message did not pop up and it has stayed on the wireless connection. I did not do a firmware update. The only thing changed was the wireless adapter. If you are still having this problem I recommend replacing the adapter.

Collapse -
Thank You for the Update
by bseelinger / August 20, 2010 11:07 AM PDT

I'm traveling this weekend but will get the wireless dongle replaced Monday or Tuesday. Please post if for some reason the issue returns.

Thanks!

Collapse -
Problem Resolved
by bseelinger / August 24, 2010 11:56 PM PDT

I replaced the Samsung wireless adapter and the problem is now resolved. Thanks for the suggestion.

Collapse -
Resolved
by crbl999 / August 25, 2010 2:54 AM PDT
In reply to: Problem Resolved

It has been almost 1 week with my new adapter and the problem has not returned. Glad it worked out for you as well.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Turn up the volume with our Apple Byte sweeps!

Two lucky winners will take home the coveted smart speaker that lets Siri help you around your connected house. This sweepstake ends Feb. 25, 2018.