Samsung forum

General discussion

UN55C6300 and PC Share - has anyone gotten this to work?

by graymon / December 13, 2010 1:02 PM PST

I've been trying to get a DLNA server to work with my UN55C6300. So far, nothing seems to work. I've been at it for about two weeks now.

Attempt #1 and #2
PC Share 4.2 on XP -and- Media Tomb on Fedora 13 (same results):
- Server is detected by TV under Media Play
- Shares are listed and files load when selected.
- "loading" icon spins for a long time before movie starts
- Movie plays less that 1 second before pausing while "Preparing to Play" icon spins
- 30 seconds later, TV plays another 1/2 second of content
- TV pauses and the "Preparing to Play" process restarts.
- This continues forever.

Attempt #3
miniDLNA on Fedora 13
- Server is detected by TV under Media Play
- Folders are visible, but files are not visible. Does not work

All content was also copied onto a USB flash drive and played okay under Media Play

Content Checked
mkv, avi (xvid, mp3 codec), mpg, mp3, jpg

I have another client (xbox) that plays all the content from all three servers fine: loads instantly, pause, FF, Rewind. I just can't get the UN55C6300 to work correctly.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: UN55C6300 and PC Share - has anyone gotten this to work?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: UN55C6300 and PC Share - has anyone gotten this to work?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Here's the short short version.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 14, 2010 2:18 AM PST

"All content was also copied onto a USB flash drive and played okay under Media Play"

Folk discover that the DLNA encoding is less than the USB flash drive support.
Long discussions have been had over this so given we know this, folk either keep asking or find other DLNA servers.
Bob

Collapse -
UN55C6300 and PC Share - doesn't work well at all
by graymon / December 14, 2010 11:07 PM PST

I've tried to use the same setup (UN55C6300 and PC Share running on an XP computer), this time just doing photos (jpegs). The files are roughly 2-3 MB, like most digital cameras. I put them in a folder and shared the folder. The UN55C6300 sees the photos, and generates thumbnails for them (or the server generates the thumbnails and sends the thumbnails to the TV, not sure)

45-70 seconds to load a 3 MB jpeg photo. That is terrible. (100 Mbit wired connection)

It should take about 1-2 seconds. The UN55C6300 is non-responsive during the loading process. This UN55C6300 has bigger problems that server side transcoding video files. At this transfer rate, the DLNA feature is not usable.

Is there anyone from Samsung that can help me debug this. Thanks

Collapse -
UN55C6300 DLNA broke- no luck with Mezzno or Serviio either
by graymon / December 16, 2010 10:15 AM PST

I tried Mezzmo and Serviio today as well. Similar story. Both of these servers install easy enough. The shares show up immediately on the UN55C6300.

Same story - files load VERY slowly. There are connection failures periodically. It takes about 60-90 seconds to load a 3 MB jpeg file, and large movies will play about 1 second before they need to reload more data which takes about 2 minutes. So the following servers seems to perform all about the same

PC Share
Mezzmo
Serviio
miniDLNA
MediaTomb

Does anyone know how to contact Samsung or have any advice. Thanks

Collapse -
Where's the bottleneck?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 16, 2010 10:18 AM PST

Something's off with the times. Is this some old Pentium 4?

Collapse -
Bottleneck - I'm thinking it the TV
by graymon / December 16, 2010 10:32 PM PST

I tried the server on the following

linux box, fedora core 13, Intel Core 2 Duo, 2.0 Ghz CPU load 0-1%
Windows Box: XP SP3, Athlon 64 bit 2.0 Ghz CPU load 0-1%

The network load was pretty minimal.

I've streamed the same files to other devices and they all work fine: I sure looks like the UN55C6300 is broken.

Collapse -
Thinking it over.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 28, 2010 9:47 AM PST

This sounds just like the old twisted pair problem. I ran into this again recently.

The owner had made their own cable and had the pairs set to 1+2, 3+4, 5+6 and 7+8.

The sad part was they were resisting fixing the cable as well as trying an off the shelf cable. We had to add another hour to the bill as it took that long to gently try it their way and test all other possibilities.

The customer is always right but they pay the bill.
Bob

Collapse -
Have you gotten it to work yet?
by FuLLT1LT / December 28, 2010 8:55 AM PST

Also have a Samsung UN55C6300 and attempting connect it to a media server.

I am using a PC with 64 bit Windows 7 installed.

So far have also tried Serviio. The result with Serviio was the TV could not even see any of my shared media files.

I am currently trying PS3 Media Server. The TV can see and browse my shared media files. When I attempt to stream them to the TV the message of "unsupported file type" is sent even though the files have been either .avi or .mkv

Let me know how you're doing with this project.

Collapse -
Still working on it - minimal progress
by graymon / December 28, 2010 12:16 PM PST

I am still trying this one. I tried transcoding (not on the fly, I just made new files: test1.avi, test2.mkv, test2.mpg, etc) some of my movie files into different formats, and some worked better than others. But I didn't have any plan, I just tried a bunch of different formats. None worked great, but some worked better than others, so I'm going to continue trying different schemed.

The fact that the Media Play can't render a jpg or mp3, so what makes me think it could handle some GB size movie file makes me wonder if I'm wasting my time. But I'm still wasting it Happy

I wish Samsung could post a few guidelines on this. Simply using "PC Share" is not the answer.

Collapse -
Tried TV Mobili, Tried mini DLNA, Tried Mezzmo - used mc/pc
by Shree7272 / January 11, 2011 11:06 AM PST

I tried using any and every available server out there - my TV just wont see anything.
I tried finally connecting my mac to my TV and that worked!
So much for samsung's help and TV - frankly they really really need much improvement to their documentation and their help - I for one will never go back to samsung again...

Collapse -
Mac to PC
by graymon / January 12, 2011 4:14 AM PST

When you said you connected your mac to your PC - do you mean just connecting the audio / video out of the computering and connecting to the back of the TV.

Or do you mean you're running some MAC DLNA server and doing the whole thing over the network using this mac program?

I haven't had any luck getting this working. This thread has had no input from Samsung. They must know that this feature is broken and can't admit it.

Collapse -
UN55C6300 - Samsung, how about a firmware update?
by graymon / February 2, 2011 10:25 PM PST
In reply to: Mac to PC

I tried for a while with this one and I've given up. This Samsung UN55C6300 DLNA feature does not work. It needs a firmware update to fix this. Hooking a PC or Mac up to it is a expensive workaround, but that will work)

The firmware update should:

- allow the UN55C6300 to use PC Share
- Include a few recommended DLNA servers with details of the files used for testing (server name, media file wrapper and codecs tested - Serviio, avi files, mp4 video, mp3 audio, etc)
- add Adjust audio delay by +/- 0.1 seconds to the remote (like mplayer) for a/v sync issues
- provide some debug information when it fails.

I'll put in a warranty claim and see what happens, but the DLNA on this UN55C6300 is a buggy piece of garbage.

Collapse -
UN55C6300 - DLNA is working - it was a hardware problem
by graymon / February 21, 2011 1:57 AM PST

I finally got fed up and called a technician. The UN55C6300 was still under warranty, so he came in a swapped one of the boards. (The board with all the I/O on it, HDMI, Ethernet, etc). The TV came up fine - networking, HDMI input for the satellite, etc. I had to "Allow" this new device on the PC Share manager on the XP Computer(The MAC address had changed with the new board), and after that - everything works well - video, music, pictures.

So this issue is closed for me. Bye

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?