Samsung forum

General discussion

UN55B8000 vs. LN55B750

by rsjagtia / April 26, 2010 5:33 AM PDT

Hey folks,

I'm new to this forum and i've been trying to do some research on replacing my current LN32A330 Samsung LCD TV because i need a bigger one. My main uses are:

- Xbox 360 Gaming
- NetFlix streaming via Media Center (Over HDMI via HTPC)
- Media Center show recordings (Over HDMI via HTPC)
- Watching HD Cable or SD cable TV
- Watching HULU over the HTPC and HDMI
- Occasional Netflix DVD playback
- Light conditions are DIM but not dark most of the time (I rarely watch TV in the Dark)

I don't have a Blu Ray player at the moment, but i'm looking to invest in one soon. I've got an Onkyo HT-6200 7.1 Home theater system so sound on the TV speakers isn't a concern for me as much.

I'm confused between the LN55B750 which has got amazing reviews almost everywhere, and the new LED TV's by Samsung - Specifically the UN55B8000 because its approximately $2000. I'd like some recommendations from people with regards to pick between these two sets. I'm also wondering if there are stores where I can compare these two sets in person - They don't seem available at Best Buy or At Fry's (My local area - Seattle, Washington).

Has anyone viewed these sets side by side? My biggest fear is the light bleeding on the edges which people seem to be talking about online with the UN558000. My Present LCD does have that effect and it is a bit distracting when it comes to gaming. Has anyone felt this with the UN558000?

At the end of the day i'm just looking for a comparison between the two and would like to save as much money as possible (Just like anyone :)). I'm sure either of these sets is going to blow me away compared to my 4 year old 32" LCD form Samsung. I just want to make sure the purchase i make is forwad looking enough, and also provides me with the best bang for buck. Blu - Ray viewing would also be a factor once I purchase my player later in the year.

Any other tid bids would really help!

Thanks everyone!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: UN55B8000 vs. LN55B750
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: UN55B8000 vs. LN55B750
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
UN55B8000 vs. LN55B750
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / April 29, 2010 8:03 AM PDT
In reply to: UN55B8000 vs. LN55B750

rsjagtia,

Welcome to the forum!

I noticed you said LN55B750, but there is no 55" size panel for the 2009 model LCDs. Did you mean the plasma PN55B750? or the LN52B750?

Assuming you mean the 52" LCD, both of the models you specified are 2009 models, so availability may be limited based on what the retailer has on hand, and may reduce or limit the ability to see both units side by side. A general rule of thumb might be to watch them both - even if they're at different retailers - and decide which one had a better picture quality. Since you mentioned that screen uniformity is something you notice, this might be a detail you include in your search.

The UNxx-C-xxxx models are 2010 models.

With a DIM environment, I would personally lean towards the LED. The panel still has (arguably, I suppose) less glare than a glass tube television. All of your viewing habits are in line with either LED or LCD, so really the choice leads to which picture you prefer.

Does that help?

--HDTech

Collapse -
UN55B8000 vs. LN55B750
by ctran94538 / April 29, 2010 10:39 AM PDT

I have UN46B8000. I bought it last November and have the problem which I am fighting with Samsung's customer service for the last 5 weeks. I have never seen any customer service as bad as Samsung's. I do love the look of it but quality is questionable. If you decide to buy one, then hope it will have no problem. Otherwise you will be regreted when dealing with Samsung's customer service.
I give Samsung customer service an "F". I would rate it lower if there is a lower grade.
Good Luck

Collapse -
What was the issue?
by rsjagtia / April 29, 2010 2:38 PM PDT

Hey thanks for the response - what was the problem you saw exactly?

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.