Samsung forum

General discussion

UN46C6800

by ORTHOTIC / May 28, 2010 8:12 AM PDT

I am in the market for a new high-end (non-3D) HDTV and am interested in the UN46C6800. The problem is that since it is a new model I cannot find any reviews or customer feedback. However, the biggest complaints I have seen with similar models is poor side viewing and audio. I am somewhat perplexed that (any brand) TV costing thousands of dollars would have poor audio. And why are there so many issues with off center viewing? How does the UN46C6800 measure up in these areas and overall? Does a model such as this (LED) measure up to similar Plasmas? Please help. I am ready to make a purchase and am leaning towards Samsung but am on-the-fence on LCD, LED vs. Plasma (again non-3D) and the related model. Regardless, I would not want to go larger than 46 inches. Thanks!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: UN46C6800
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: UN46C6800
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
UN46C6800
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / May 28, 2010 12:35 PM PDT
In reply to: UN46C6800

ORTHOTIC,

Side viewing is traditionally better on a plasma, but what degree of side-viewing are you looking at? In most cases, off center viewing with today's LCD panels is still pretty impressive and can compliment most applications nicely. The true test here is to look at the unit in the store, and stand off-angle to see if that's acceptable for your situation.

The audio is a result of the panels being more thin, and the availability and increase in Home Theater systems. Since there's often less than an inch to work with in many of today's flat panel designs (and traditional tube televisions had several inches in comparison), there is only so much that can be done with the audio options. And this years' models are designed to be extremely thin in form.

I do appreciate you considering Samsung products. If I can help further, please let me know.

Does that help?

--HDTech

Collapse -
BEST 46" HDTV
by ORTHOTIC / May 28, 2010 10:30 PM PDT
In reply to: UN46C6800

You mention that this year's models are thinner than ever. Does this mean that the related audio is poorer than ever? If Samsung told you that you can pick (as a free gift) any (non-3D) 46" in their line (LCD, LED, Plasma) which model would you choose? I understand that all technologies have their pros and cons but am having a problem deciding which comes out (overall) on top. I know that the UN46B8500 is the highest rated but on the other hand there are several models (such as the 2010 UN46C6800) that have yet to be reviewed). Sorry for all the questions, but I tend to make these type of purchases only once (maybe twice) a decade so I want to get it right! Thanks for your time and help.

Collapse -
BEST 46" HDTV
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / June 1, 2010 1:16 PM PDT
In reply to: BEST 46" HDTV

ORTHOTIC,

Side angle viewing and audio seem to be pretty important, based on what you're saying. For that, a plasma may be your best bet. There are very few seats in the house where a plasma doesn't come out on top. As far as models go, that's a very personal thing. My answer isn't your answer, because your answer fits your needs better for you.

So here's what I'd suggest.

Here's a Link for the plasmas. On the left hand side, there's a "Narrow Your Results" section that will help you decide based on most of the criteria that someone might want to consider in a purchase.

http://www.samsung.com/us/consumer/tv-video/televisions/plasma-tv/index.idx?pagetype=subtype

Click the blue arrows next to "Price Range", and then slide the slider bar on "Screen Size", and then expand the "Picture Quality", "Connectivity" and "Features" to choose your choice of options. Models that don't qualify will drop off the list.

The remaining products - up to 3 or 4 of them - you can compare against each other and pick the model that best meets your needs.

Here's the comparison grid for the LCDs:
http://www.samsung.com/us/consumer/tv-video/televisions/lcd-tv/index.idx?pagetype=subtype

And the LED models:
http://www.samsung.com/us/consumer/tv-video/televisions/led-tv/index.idx?pagetype=subtype

Plasma generally gives you a larger screen for the same money.

If audio is a serious consideration, there are many bookshelf speaker systems out there with an AUX-IN RCA input that you could connect any of the televisions to, and get sound as rich as you'd like.

--HDTech

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?