General discussion

UN46B8000 auto dim problem

I just bought a UN46B8000 TV and I am having troubles with the picture during dark scenes. At first I thought the reason for my TV dimming automatically was because of the energy saver mode. However I checked and this is off. I have tried everything and messed with every setting to try and make the picture visible during dark scenes but nothing works. Is there anything I can do to get this TV to stop dimming down on darker scenes? I am having trouble seeing what's going on during my shows and or movies because the auto dimming function doesn't work properly. Everything on the screen just fades into one big black blob and there is no distinguishing between anything in the picture. Is there any updates that I can get for my TV to shut this function off? Is there anything that I can do to make this less noticeable? I really can't stand the auto dimming function because it does not work well AT ALL! I just bought this TV and am considering to return it because of this. If there isn't I would really appreciate if someone at Samsung would put out some new firmware or software to allow us to shut this function off.

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: UN46B8000 auto dim problem
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: UN46B8000 auto dim problem
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Auto Dim Problem Resolved......

Hi, I have noticed the same problem on my UN46C6300 LED TV, I figured out that it is the Shadow Detail under Advanced settings is set to -2, I put mine to 0 (you can get higher if you like), when I watch dark movies or dark scenes (in space with stars) the TV would dim by itself, by changing this the TV would not darken anymore and all type will stay bright. Good luck

- Collapse -
UN46B8000 auto dim problem

Patchen_9001,

In the Advanced Picture settings as Geoartz noted, I also found that turning the LED Motion Plus option to "ON" works with dark scenes. I did a test with a dark movie (Dark Knight, no pun intended!), and it improved viewing in dark scenes.

--HDTech

CNET Forums

Forum Info