Samsung forum

Question

UN40ES6100

I've researched this and other LED TV's thoroughly prior to purchase, being last weekend. I do have bleedthrough, flashlighting in lower corners, and clouding. Do I exchange this TV with another set (HHGREGG) or is this just what the deal is? I don't want to play the panel lottery and exchange tv after tv. If there is something to look for on this models tv panel, as far as date, serial number, or someway of identifying crappy panels, please advise. If this is just what the deal is, as far as edge lit led tv's, then advise on that as well. I'll deal with it, if the latter is the case...however, if there is a definite way of detecting the crummy panels, then I'll exchange this $1K tv to find the best one. Thank you, DM

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: UN40ES6100
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: UN40ES6100
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Flashlighting

In reply to: UN40ES6100

drmax1111,

You have a couple different remedies to try to improve the situation. You could simply put the TV in Standard or Movie mode. Or you could lower the backlight to 7.

But this issue sometimes happens only at the beginning of usage. So how long have you had it?

-- HD Tech

Collapse -
1 week

In reply to: Flashlighting

I've only had it one week. If I reduce the light to 7, it really makes the picture crummy, as in not as vibrant. When the entire screen is not used, it really shows the corner lighting. You know, since LED tech. is apparently just beginning, I'm returning this expensive set and just found LG has come out with a 38.5" width 42" plasma, with all the bells/whistles as Sammy, uh, but only at 720 HD, ah, but $350 less. Its only a bedroom set, and primarily in dim to complete dark. If/when full array LED's are prevalent, then I'll reconsider. Thx for your reply....

Collapse -
update

In reply to: 1 week

As I re-read your post Samsung Tech, how could one possibly think that the problem "might" go away, after a little time? The return policy from where I got it is 30 days. Where is your response posted, by Samsung? I mean, shouldn't they be advertising these T.V's with a "possible" flashlighting issue, that sometimes only happens at the beginning of usage? If they did... do you think they'd still be in the business of selling t.v.'s?

Collapse -
I looked at this and thought

In reply to: update

Since I've seen this effect on many makes, would you extend your thinking that all LCD panel makers should stop?

I haven't been able to craft the right words but I'm seeing many new folk (the 20 somethings?) that didn't live with ratty old NTSC televisions but grew up staring at PC screens PIXEL PERFECT and now comparing that to today's HDTVs.

Let's hope some writer can codify this into something of a nice article.

For you, you may want to skip any LCD and look again as plasma sets. Again, all this is a compromise of perfection versus price.
Bob

Collapse -
you're right

In reply to: I looked at this and thought

In other forums, namely AVS...there is much discussion on this topic. They name it "panel lottery". There are some who claim they have no clouding issues, nor flashlighting. Others are not as lucky. I love the TV...how the wifi operates, how the All Share software operates, how it recognizes avi files on my pc and pumps them wirelessly to the TV and plays them flawlessly in HD. Isn't it sad...that I'd have to take this set back and wonder if I try another one, that it may not have these issues? Why on earth would they allow any of their panels to bleed through.
Just a waste of mine (and several others) time. Take care.

Collapse -
firmware update

In reply to: you're right

Mr. Samsung Tech:
A member from AVS forums made a comment just now, that after his tv just recently took a firmware update, that his lighting issues dissapeared. A few hrs ago I was trying to show my wife the issues and oddly enough I could not see the abnormalties, that I had earlier yesterday. Late yesterday afternoon, I accepted an update, but it was only for when I went in to select an app. Is it possible, that a firmware update could have rectified this issue? Please advise. Also, where is there a list of firmware updates for this tv and a defintion of what the updates fixed? Thank you.

Collapse -
Wasn't alerted to this being a fix...

In reply to: firmware update

DrMax,

So I hadn't be alerted to this being a fix, but now that I go look at the patch notes on this page: http://www.samsung.com/us/support/owners/product/UN40ES6100FXZA

The downloads section contain this information:

April 19, 2012
Title: Firmware for 20 LED TV EH4500 / EH5300 / ES60-70
Applicable Model: UN**EH4500UN**EH5300UN**ES6100-7150
Description 1) Resolves compatibility issue with DLNA devices. 2) Improves picture quality.

So yes, it could fix it, based upon a potential reading of those patch notes. Hope that's what you're looking for, because I don't have any more detailed information than that.

-- HD Tech

Collapse -
My S--y has clouds.

In reply to: you're right

It's also has some uniformity issues but it's so much better than our last standard definition TV (SDTV) that I would hesitate to complain. However I do see Plasma and think how great that would be.

Maybe OLED can advance in some way to wipe out LCDs just like LCDs wiped out the prior systems?
Bob

Collapse -
fixed or not?

In reply to: My S--y has clouds.

Well, i took the latest download. What i had noticed...is that all of my pre-adjusted settings (by me) had been cleverly changed, to what would appear Samsung would like us to use. Uh, so people, you still need to go into one of your picture views, say "normal". adjust the backlighting all the way up, then go to say the end of a movie where the credits are, and view the picture in a dark room. if you have clouding, you're gonna see it. there are some panels that are worse than others...and this is where you will have to decide on your own issues. if you want to see clouding, or wonder "what are they talking about", then click on this link and look at some pics. see for yourself....
Samsung Tech...thx for the info. why not supply us a link to see these firmware updates for ourselves.
here is the link...http://guide2lcdtv.com/2008/10/checklists-new-lcd-televisions/

Collapse -
still with clouds

In reply to: fixed or not?

I turned up the backlighting and put into so dark scenes and there is no change as I still have the lower flashlighting, actually in 2 middle places as well as the corners, and patches of fainter white that look like the state of illinois, in the middle area. I'll take this back to the store, show the fellas there, then open a new box and cross check this issue on spot. If problem with new set, getting a refund and going with the LG plasma 42". Will respond with outcome.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.