Samsung forum

Question

UN40EH5300 Smart TV; connected to internet but no apps work

I have a problem very similar to one posted by "lolsociety" on 8/21/2013. Tried the suggestion of using FFWD 289 REW, but SmartHub just displays a "Loading" message and doesn't respond after that.

I use Comcast/Xfinity service with their modem, model Technicolor TC8305C.
The TV model is UN40EH5300, as in the title. The problem may have started when I changed from a Linksys router to the Comcast one, but I don't know for sure.

I'm connected to the internet per the TV, and I see the TV from my PC and the router. However, I cannot open the web browser nor the Samsung apps from the SmartHub. Accuweather works, however.

Any suggestions? Do I need to do port forwarding on the router?

Oh and btw, I've tried changing DNS to 8.8.8.8 per other suggestions; that hasn't helped either.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: UN40EH5300 Smart TV; connected to internet but no apps work
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: UN40EH5300 Smart TV; connected to internet but no apps work
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
What about the other items?

In reply to: UN40EH5300 Smart TV; connected to internet but no apps work

1. Be sure the date and time is correct in both router and TV.
2. Be sure the TV has it's latest FIRMWARE. Factory reset after the firmware update or when the TV is befuddled like this.

Remember no one is going to fix these issues. If you need a smarter TV go get a Roku or Amazon Fire TV stick or box.

Collapse -
How long should the updates take?

In reply to: What about the other items?

I did the reset process. The TV now displays a message: "updating...". And has been for over an hour. Is this typical? Not sure how long to wait here.

Collapse -
There are priors about update issues.

In reply to: How long should the updates take?

But the screen usually has more on it than "updating."

Remember I think Samsung and all Smart TV makers have been too quiet about the limited lifespan of the smart part of these sets. But the good news is a Roku or Amazon Fire TV stick can fix this for not much.

https://www.google.com/search?q=UN40EH5300+updating doesn't find that message. I use what's on screen to look for articles about this. You could try manually updating or just disable SmartHub since I don't expect the browser and most apps to function today.

PS. Added with edit. The update varies with the Internet connection and of course other issues. The recurring one I run into is it never updates because of the date/time/DNS issue. I've learned to never use WiFi for this update and to quickly move to update via USB memory sticks. Finally, as the set gets about 5 or more years old I never update since we don't fix what's not broken. That is, we know the maker's abandon old sets, don't keep the company services up and we don't want to risk bricking the TV. So we turn off the Smart Hub and get it working as a TV. The Roku or Amazon is plugged in and we are done.

Post was last edited on April 16, 2019 3:25 PM PDT

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

REVIEW

Sublime suburban chariot

High on style and technology, the 2019 Volvo XC90 is an incredibly satisfying everyday crossover.