Samsung forum

General discussion

UN40B6000V Optical Audio Question

by draco751 / May 12, 2009 9:22 AM PDT

I consider myself fairly tech savvy but this sorta has me stumped at the moment. It seems as if the optical output on my 40"LED Samsung is only putting out Stereo. Here is my set up and how I confirmed it.

XBox360 ----(HDMI)----> TV -----(optical)---- Sony Surround Receiver

In this setup, the receiver is only showing stereo availability in (auto decide) for the optical input.

XBox360 ----(optical)---- Sony Surround Receiver

In this setup, the receiver shows all the speakers of the 5.1 setup illuminated. And sure enough my test DVD I am playing off the Xbox (Resident Evil) is playing in true surround sound.

Thus leaving me to beleive the output from the TV is stereo only? I've looked all over the menu and settings of the TV, I see nothing indicating surround output vs stereo to the optical output.

Has anyone seen this before? Am I doing something wrong?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: UN40B6000V Optical Audio Question
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: UN40B6000V Optical Audio Question
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
hookup
by CHUCKMALLEY / May 13, 2009 7:12 AM PDT

Let's pretend the xbox is a dvd player (in essence,it is)you don't want to output the dvd player directly to the tv. The receiver is the brains of the operation...everything in,signal out. xbox in,tv in,tv back out to tv (from receiver).That may seem redundant,but that's how it works.

Collapse -
TV Fail
by draco751 / May 13, 2009 7:32 AM PDT
In reply to: hookup

Actually I was using my TV to do the switching between devices, instead of selecting inputs on the tv and receiver both. Though I was trying to avoid this by using the TV as the selector and using its digital audio output to the receiver apparently this simply won't work, after talking to samsung tech support last night the TV doesn't allow pass through of 5.1 or higher, it only supports 2.1 output. The only way it puts out 5.1 on its optical output is by its internal tuner.

"The receiver is the brains of the operation...everything in,signal out. xbox in,tv in,tv back out to tv (from receiver).That may seem redundant,but that's how it works." Unfortunately my receiver doesn't have HDMI, hence why I was trying to get away with the 4 hdmi's on the tv and only using the receiver to process audio not to actually do the selecting :\

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.