Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Un-installing

by bonbonish / November 22, 2005 9:45 PM PST

Hi,

I downloaded a software and tryied to install it.

I got an error msg... and the installation process has been stopped. I send the error msg to the developer... he updated his software and send me a link to download the updated software.

As I wanted to install the updated software... the same thing happened as before... I wrote the developer... and the developer wrote me back... you have to delete all the privious thing that the program already installed.

My question is: I know what I have to delete... but I do not know where is the piece of something that I can delete... how do I find it... and how I delete it...
I know... that XP has a function that brings back my computer to a state as it was before I installed a new program... but I have win 98

Thanks in advance for any help....

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Un-installing
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Un-installing
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
What was the error message and
by TONI H / November 22, 2005 11:28 PM PST
In reply to: Un-installing

Where were you doing the uninstall from?

Is the program still listed in the Add-Remove Programs List? If it is, you can use the free MS Uninstaller to get rid of the remnants so you can then reboot and install the updated version again.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;290301

Windows Installer Cleanup Utility can be downloaded from the above link and it will remove installed programs that can't be uninstalled from the Add-Remove Programs List because you don't have the cd anymore or because the program itself can't locate its uninstall file info.

There is one version of this utility available for individual windows versions from W95, W98, ME, NT 4.0, 2K, XP, and Server 2003. Direct download can be reached at this link:

http://download.microsoft.com/download/e/9/d/e9d80355-7ab4-45b8-80e8-983a48d5e1bd/msicuu2.exe

TONI

Collapse -
Thanks
by bonbonish / November 24, 2005 9:41 PM PST

Hi Toni,

Thanks for the reply.
The program I am talking about wasn't fully installed into my computer.
When I tried to install the program I got an error msg:
saying that something wrong... :(...

And after I got that error msg... the installation process has been stopped automatically :(...

Because I do not want to reveail the program name that I am talking about... the programmer seems to be a very nice guy... just do not know how to help me out with my problem... I will write down the msg... in that way [The name of the program == instead of the real name of the program...] :

Here is the msg:
Component: 'The name of the program', file group: 'the name of the program' example files: file d:\example ~3\newer~1\'one example of the program'.'extention specified for this program'

So, as you see I need to delete that 'example ~ 3' from my computer... and I do not know how to do that :(...

Thanks in advance for your answer.

BonBonish

Collapse -
Is D: your cdrom device?
by TONI H / November 24, 2005 11:39 PM PST
In reply to: Thanks

If so, perhaps it's telling you to insert the cd into the drive because it needs to find that location for the files?

If D: is a separate partition, go to that folder in Windows Explorer and right click and delete from there?

TONI

Collapse -
Deleted
by bonbonish / November 25, 2005 4:34 PM PST

Thanks TONI for the reply.

D is a separate partition, and I did what you suggested.

I went to my D and find that specific piece of thing and
I deleted that 'one example of the program'.'extention specified for this program'

And than tryed again to install and I got the same error msg... as before :(...

According to the developer of the program if I delete all the remnants of the previous installation trying that it will work... It didn't work...

Anyway... I find it strange that the error msg says:

Component: 'The name of the program', file group: 'the name of the program' example files: file d:\example ~3\newer~1\'one example of the program'.'extention specified for this program'

And I find that 'one example of the program'.'extention specified for this program' on
d:\newer~1\'one example of the program'.'extention specified for this program'

and not on:
d:\example ~3\newer~1\
I do not have 'd:\example ~3\... on my mashine at all... I have just d:\newer~1\.... and I find that thing that I deleted under d:\newer~1\...

Thanks in advance for your further help...

BonBonish

Collapse -
So try this then
by TONI H / November 25, 2005 8:59 PM PST
In reply to: Deleted

on D: create a folder called example~3 and then drag the newer~1 folder or file and put it inside that new folder

This way, the path will be what it's looking for and possibly will allow the uninstall or the reinstall finally.

Obviously it's looking for a specific path that doesn't exist and it doesn't know how to create it on its own like windows normally would.

Poor programming by the author, it appears.

TONI

Collapse -
Another thanks :)....
by bonbonish / November 26, 2005 2:42 AM PST
In reply to: So try this then

Thanks again for your reply :)...

Your advice is a very good advice... I agree with you... it looks like a path problem... so I went and did sort of what you suggested...

I write sort of... because I noticed it is a zip file... and I know zip can install things on different paths if I want to :)... and you know there weren't any really specific installation info... I mean nobody said that you have to extract the zip 'exactly' as the programmer wanted... anyway... I gave an order to zip to install on its pre-ordered paths... and when I installed the program in that way... it worked... so the problem was really a path problem...

Thank you very much helping me sorting out the problem :)...
BonBonish

Collapse -
Glad I could help
by TONI H / November 26, 2005 6:26 AM PST
In reply to: Another thanks :)....

MS claims to be doing away with DOS, but no matter how you look at it, even with XP, you gotta know the basics to figure out how to get around problems. And 'paths' all go back to dos and how it did things...only instead of directories, now they're called folders and can use long names. lol

TONI

Collapse -
You are so right...
by bonbonish / November 26, 2005 4:05 PM PST
In reply to: Glad I could help

I agree with you very much... we have to know the basics to figure out how to solve problems :)...

I agree with you also that the only improvement with naming is that now we can use long meaningful names. For me that is a big improvement... I remember how hard it was back than when I had to figure out what things a file named aabb8 had inside :)...

You know, I was thinking about that 'paths' thing... how can somebody change the logic? After all logically we need to know an address... and also we need to know how to get to that address...

If I may, would like to ask you... would you be so kind and walk me through a 'computer speed up' process? If you agree I will open a new thread... under the name 'computer speed up'...

Thanks in advance for your answer.

BonBonish

Collapse -
Speed up computer
by TONI H / November 26, 2005 10:05 PM PST
In reply to: You are so right...

There are many of us that can help with suggestions of things we've done ourselves to speed up the computer. So yes....start a new thread, then sit back and get ready to print because you'll get lots of good info.

As for the path of things....if you go to Windows Explorer, click Tools/Options, there will be an option in there to check off that says 'show full path in Address Bar'....and make sure the Address Bar is also on by right clicking the toolbar of Windows Explorer and putting a checkmark in Address Toolbar.

That way, no matter where you 'travel' in Windows Explorer, you will see the whole path of that journey....Drive letter, folder, subfolder, subfolder, filename

This is extremely helpful in that if you ever need to delete or rename a file that Windows won't let you mess with, you can drop down to the MSDOS reboot and do it from there instead. Windows won't be running in the background and you get access to making changes you couldn't otherwise do.

TONI

Collapse -
speed up computer
by bonbonish / November 27, 2005 3:59 PM PST
In reply to: Speed up computer

Thanks :)... so I am going to open an new thread with that title..

TONI, on my computer that Windows Explorer doesn't have that 'tools/options' :(... on the MS Internet Explorer I saw that 'tools/options'....

Also, I am thinking about to buy another computer besides the computer I am working with now... now I have a Sony notebook several years I am using it... and I like it very much... would you be so kind and see that threat of mine also ?
It is on the 'Notebooks forum'...
http://reviews.cnet.com/5208-7587_7-0.html?forumID=69&messageID=1563204&threadID=139089

Thanks in advance for all your help...

BonBonish

Collapse -
Explorer has no Tools/Options
by TONI H / November 27, 2005 7:54 PM PST
In reply to: speed up computer

Right click in the top area of the window where you see the "back" "forward" etc arrows, and put a check mark in "Standard Buttons" (if you have the option also, take the check mark out of "Lock/Unlock Toolbar" first).

Once you see that you have checked the Standard Buttons, and it's not locked anymore, The File, Edit, View, Tools, Help buttons should all appear....but if they don't, on the left hand side you will see a broken vertical line...move your mouse over it until the mouse changes into two headed arrow, press down on the left mouse button, and drag that vertical line to the right.

Now you should have File, Edit, View, Tools, Help all visible.

TONI

Collapse -
Trying to find that tools...
by bonbonish / November 27, 2005 9:15 PM PST

Tony... thanks...

I put a checkmark to the 'standard buttons'... nothing has changed :(...

As you told me... I went and found that left hand side's broken vertical line... moved my mouse over it and the mouse changed into two headed arrow... pressed down on the left mouse button and dragged that vertical line to the right... no luck... there isn't Tools/options...

BonBonish

Collapse -
Tools/Options
by TONI H / November 27, 2005 11:44 PM PST
In reply to: Un-installing

Sometimes if you have everything on one line it's hard to see the rest of one of the toolbars so windows gives you two chevron arrows on the right hand side of each toolbar ( >> )that you have to click to see the rest of them in a drop down menu.

You can also try moving your mouse to the vertical broken like that is now in the CENTER of the one line and left drag it DOWNWARD so that the toolbar to the right will now move down to a line of its own.

Or...you can right click in that toolbar, choose Customize and use SMALL ICONS and NO TEXT, which will give you lots more real estate on all of the toolbars. Then just move that center vertical line over the right a little more and the rest of the first toolbar should show up with all of them showing.

Even with NO TEXT, when you hover your mouse over any of the icons it will tell you what its for with a small 'tooltip' balloon.

TONI

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

We are giving away 'Black Panther' swag!

Four lucky readers will be taking home *Marvel*ous "Black Panther" prizes, including magazines autographed by the King of Wakanda himself! Giveaway ends Feb. 25, 2018.