Speakeasy forum

General discussion

UN inspectors in Iraq: I'll drink to that!

by Paul C / February 18, 2005 6:24 AM PST

The popular mantra, "had we not invaded Iraq, the inspectors would have ferreted out the truth" seems more and more like utter fantasy as we discover more details about the inspectors' Clouseau-like competence and what they were really doing while on the UN payroll: UN inspectors "spent their days drinking":

UN inspectors in Iraq spent their working hours drinking vodka while ignoring a shadowy nocturnal fleet believed to be smuggling goods for Saddam Hussein, a former senior inspector told the US Senate yesterday.

In a move that provoked fury from officials of the Swiss firm Cotecna, an Australian former inspector detailed a picture of incompetence, indifference and drunkeness among the men acting as the frontline for UN sanctions.

Arthur Ventham, a former Australian army officer and customs officer, joined the operation in 2002 and worked at various sites in Iraq and neighbouring states.

He said that at Iskendurun in eastern Turkey, some officials had refused to work.

When he asked one of his bosses why, he was told: "They were friends or relatives of potential clients, and are only in the mission so the company could secure future contracts in Nigeria, Comoros and another African country.

"When I said that this was unfair on everyone else, I was told that it was general practice in Cotecna."

Hey, there'll always be another one of those efficient and effective UN sanctions regimes to work on, right?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: UN inspectors in Iraq: I'll drink to that!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: UN inspectors in Iraq: I'll drink to that!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
and when saddam trew them out they
by Mark5019 / February 18, 2005 8:15 AM PST

tucked there tails between there legs and left.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) You mean the (U)nunited (N)ations?
by caktus / February 18, 2005 9:58 AM PST
Collapse -
Question
by JP Bill / February 18, 2005 10:28 AM PST
had we not invaded Iraq, the inspectors would have ferreted out the truth"

Are you referring to the truth about weapons of mass distruction?

The link you posted seems to refer to smuggling of oil.

Two entirely different matters or are you condemming the UN on both matters?
Collapse -
the un
by Mark5019 / February 18, 2005 12:29 PM PST
In reply to: Question

inspectors couldnt find there butts in a well lit room

Collapse -
Why bother looking when
by JP Bill / February 18, 2005 12:35 PM PST
In reply to: the un
http://www.cnn.com/2005/WORLD/meast/02/02/iraq.oil.smuggle/

The oil trade with countries such as Turkey and Jordan appears to have been an open secret inside the U.S. government and the United Nations for years.

The unclassified State Department documents sent to congressional committees with oversight of U.S. foreign policy divulge that the United States deemed such sales to be in the "national interest," even though they generated billions of dollars in unmonitored revenue for Saddam's regime.

The memos obtained by CNN explain why both administrations waived restrictions on U.S. economic aid to those countries for engaging in otherwise prohibited trade with Iraq

Timely, reliable assistance from the United States fosters the political stability and economic well-being critical to Jordan's continuing role as a regional leader for peace," Talbott said.

Identical language was used four years later in a 2002 memo by Richard Armitage, undersecretary of state under President George W. Bush.

Deputy State Department spokesman Adam Ereli told CNN Tuesday the waivers were given to Jordan and Turkey every year since 1998.

He called both countries "special cases" in which the money Saddam made through the smuggling did not allow him weapons.

"How is it that you stand on a moral footing to go after the U.N. when they're responsible for 15 percent maybe of the ill-gotten gains, and we were part and complicit of him getting 85 percent of the money?" Menendez asked.

"Where was our voice on the committee that was overseeing this on the Security Council?

"The reality is that we were either silent or complicit, and that is fundamentally wrong."

Ruggie said, "The secretary of state of the United States said each and every year that those illegal sales were in the national security interest of the United States. So it wasn't just that the U.S. was looking the other way."

They might as well be out having a drink
Collapse -
like i said they cant find the money now
by Mark5019 / February 18, 2005 12:48 PM PST

and when the un inspectors wanted to look in buildings saddam said nope and said you must leave the country so how can they control anything.

Collapse -
RESPONSE
by JP Bill / February 18, 2005 1:15 PM PST

You do realize that the USA knew what was going on for years and did NOTHING.

Or don't yuou want to see that?

Blinders ON

Earplugs IN

Collapse -
did nothing??
by Mark5019 / February 18, 2005 10:38 PM PST
In reply to: RESPONSE

omg your funny we raised hell but yhe pc crown did squat.

and we did go in to iraq and were still there. oh you forget that allready

Collapse -
did nothing
by JP Bill / February 18, 2005 11:01 PM PST
In reply to: did nothing??

as in blind eye

you used this term

What do you think "blink eye" means?

Collapse -
another view
by Mark5019 / February 18, 2005 12:53 PM PST

The United States Treasury Department provided assurances that Washington would not obstruct two companies' plans to import millions of barrels of oil from Iraq in March 2003 in violation of United Nations sanctions, according to an e-mail from one of the companies.

Diplomats and oil brokers have recently said that the US had long turned a blind eye to illicit shipments of Iraqi oil by its allies Jordan and Turkey. The US acknowledged this week that it had acquiesced in the trade to ensure key allies would not suffer hardships.

http://www.thestandard.com.hk/stdn/std/World/GB18Wd03.html

and more
UN's former oil-for-food chief pocketed 1.2 million: US Senate panel

A US Senate panel has accused the former head of the UN oil-for-food program in Iraq of pocketing more than one million dollars in the scandal-plagued scheme.

An interim report by an independent UN investigative panel released earlier this month found that former program chief Benon Sevan obtained allocations of oil from Saddam Hussein's regime, but it stopped short of saying he had taken bribes or committed a crime.

http://www.turkishpress.com/w.asp?s=u&i=050215062709.lgggjm0c

so it seems the reason they turned a blind eye was to help our allies not all that sinister

Collapse -
You're joking right
by JP Bill / February 18, 2005 1:21 PM PST
In reply to: another view
was to help our allies

A few weeks ago you made numerous posts about the oil going to France an Germany.

I've never heard you refer to them as allies.

Now you say it was to help our allies.

You're killing me Mark. I thought you couldn't make a joke. Boy was I wrong.
Collapse -
open your eyes it says jordan and turkey
by Mark5019 / February 18, 2005 10:39 PM PST
In reply to: You're joking right

i never said the snail eaters and the nazi supporters

Collapse -
Response
by JP Bill / February 18, 2005 10:59 PM PST

Where do you think the oil went after it arrived inm Jordan and Turkey?

Maybe France and Germany

And you should speak nicely of your new allies.

Collapse -
do you know where it went?
by Mark5019 / February 19, 2005 12:14 AM PST
In reply to: Response

and you can speak nicely of them i wont.

Collapse -
you can speak nicely of them i wont.
by JP Bill / February 19, 2005 3:45 AM PST

I know that!!!

But you do realize the the President and C. Rice are snuggling up to YOUR enemies.

Will you express your views to the President about his position with France and Germany?

Collapse -
hey they frnch know what they need
by Mark5019 / February 19, 2005 10:24 AM PST

to get in good terms again they will lie down and play dead the french are good at that.

i hear the french have a surplus of rifles never fired dropped once.
and germany needs to run france

Collapse -
hey they frnch know what they need
by JP Bill / February 19, 2005 9:20 PM PST

[blinders off]I guess the USA does also

http://www.cnn.com/2005/WORLD/europe/02/19/bush.europe/index.html

(CNN) -- President Bush left for Europe on Sunday with an ambitious agenda for patching relations with "old Europe," bolstering support from the eastern European nations newly emerged from the end of the Cold War, and spreading democracy throughout the world [blinders on]

Collapse -
yes since we should the
by Mark5019 / February 20, 2005 12:08 AM PST

French and Germans we mean business he can go over there to accept there apoligies for being a holes.

i think he will let them skip kissing our feet do you feel thats ok?
Grin

Collapse -
I have no
by JP Bill / February 20, 2005 2:22 AM PST

doubt there will be a whole lotta kissing goin on, but I don't think it will be the feet getting kissed, and the French and Germans will be on the receiving end.

Collapse -
thats only when Kerry is on the giveing end
by Mark5019 / February 20, 2005 2:49 AM PST
In reply to: I have no

since we proved our point the french you know the country that has lost more wars and has a surplus of unfired rifles for sale.

there new flag is based on the color yellow.
and as to gernamy there just wanting to be with the president of the usa as they relize how much they have to gain on out good graces.

maybe we will let them sell sour kraut

Collapse -
gernamy there just wanting to be with the president of the u
by JP Bill / February 20, 2005 8:51 PM PST

If I was the President and thoiught that some country wanted to "suck up to me" I would tell them

You come to me, I'm not going to you!

Collapse -
it takes a big person
by Mark5019 / February 20, 2005 9:19 PM PST

to go to the country to let them know you forgive them for they new not what they did.

remember that they said never be elections in iraq seems to me they were wrong.
so by the pres going there means more than them comeing to us.

Collapse -
Can you show me where any country said
by JP Bill / February 20, 2005 9:36 PM PST
In reply to: it takes a big person
never be elections in iraq

I don't recall that statement being made by the government of any country.

Many people may have said it, but no country that I recall.

If you are using "they" as people then you are correct.

it takes a big person to go to the country to let them know you forgive them for they new not what they did.

But, you, don't forgive them.

Well, I forgive you.
Collapse -
its good of you to
by Mark5019 / February 20, 2005 10:12 PM PST

aploigize for your mistakes

Collapse -
Response
by JP Bill / February 21, 2005 2:32 AM PST
In reply to: its good of you to
Collapse -
Speaking of forgiving
by JP Bill / February 20, 2005 10:00 PM PST
In reply to: it takes a big person
Collapse -
when was the written no date?
by Mark5019 / February 21, 2005 4:14 AM PST
In reply to: Speaking of forgiving

and he forgave the french and germans for hes a better man then the moneymakers from saddam

Collapse -
If the UN failed on one count, why would we give it renewed
by Kiddpeat / February 19, 2005 12:27 AM PST
In reply to: Question

credibility on a second count? I guess we need to know a lot more about who the inspectors were, and what makes us think their work was any better in the second case. Corruption does not beget integrity.

Collapse -
If the UN failed on one count, why would we give it renewed
by JP Bill / February 19, 2005 3:49 AM PST

credibility on a second count?

Your position on the UN should make it easy for you to understand that many nations of the world would be cautious, about any information that is distributed concerning nuclear weapons in Iran after the WMD fiasco in Iraq.

Collapse -
yes the uns fiasco
by Mark5019 / February 19, 2005 10:26 AM PST

your absolutely right the uns cowardness to be pushed around by saddam

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?