Cameras forum

General discussion

Ultracompact (under 1" thick) for indoor use with flash?

I'm looking for a camera mainly to use for group shots with friends when I'm out at restaurants, bars, etc. Most pictures will be indoor with a flash. I know ultracompacts tend to have lame flashes, but I definitely want an ultracompact under 1 inch thick. Do any of them take decent indoor pictures with flash?

I've read good things about the Fuji Finepix F30, but it is too thick for me.

Some models I've been looking at:

Canon Powershot SD1000 (though I don't like the boxy edges)
Canon PowerShot SD750
Casio Exilim Z75
Sony DSC-T100
Sony DSC-W90

Budget - Looking in the $200 - $350 range

Size - Very important. I want to be able to put it in my pocket and not have it be noticeable. I'm looking for something under 1 inch thick with rounded edges.

Features - Don't need a lot of manual settings.

General Usage - Won't generally be making big prints.

THANKS IN ADVANCE!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Ultracompact (under 1" thick) for indoor use with flash?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Ultracompact (under 1" thick) for indoor use with flash?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Stay Away from SVP HDDV 1800 Digital Cameras. Tonka Toys!

In reply to: Ultracompact (under 1" thick) for indoor use with flash?

I can't find the book to understand the more complex uses of the camera. I am trying to figure out how to delete the pictures off the camera to free up more space. Also what is the macro key for and other menu options are not so readily explained in the little booklet that came with it. Any suggestions are welcomed. The camera is definitely not worth $100. It seems like a Kmart toy camera versus a digital camera. Also this is my first day running across you guys. What's this about class action suit?

Collapse -
Reply or new thread?

In reply to: Stay Away from SVP HDDV 1800 Digital Cameras. Tonka Toys!

That has nothing to do with my question. Did you mean to post this as a new thread?

Collapse -
Sorry

In reply to: Reply or new thread?

Sorry. Sure did. I could have sworn I clicked that. I wish you well.

Collapse -
exlim s770

I have the casio exlim s770 and love it. It is very small and performs very well indoors. It is great for taking pics of people.

Collapse -
Ultra thin compact

Here are the specifications for the cameras you mentioned:

Canon SD1000 and SD750 - 11.4 feet
Casio Z75 - 10.8 feet
Sony T100 - 12.1 feet
Sony W80 - 10.8 feet

Those are the maximum distance the subject should be from the camera, while using no zoom.

If you are using some zoom, the distances will be much shorter.

Collapse -
2 More Possibilities

Casio Exilim EX-S770
Sony Cybershot DSCW55

Collapse -
2 more

In reply to: 2 More Possibilities

Casio S770 - 12.8 feet
Sony W55 - 12.7 feet

Collapse -
Casio

If you want he thinnest camera Casio definitely has a lot of the thinnest cameras but as for their flash I just dont know.

Collapse -
Found It

For anyone else who might benefit from this, I finally found what seems to be the best camera that matches my criteria:

The Fujifilm Finepix F40fd. It's 0.9" and seems to have the best picture quality (both with & without flash) in a camera under 1" thick.

Best price I found from a reputable seller (via resellerratings) was $235 from profeel.com

Info:
http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/fuji/finepix_f40fd-review/index.shtml
http://www.megapixel.net/reviews/fuji-f40/f40-gen.php
http://reviews.cnet.com/digital-cameras/fujifilm-finepix-f40fd/4505-6501_7-32343637.html

Collapse -
Flash & dig cams

In reply to: Found It

hey just to let you know, i am totally in the same situation as you. im not a camera afficianado, nor do i plan to be. i dont know anything about manual controls either. i want a tiny camera that will fit in a pocket and i can take out to bars. want to spend around 300 or less.

looking at canon sd750 or sony w80 or t20

the exilims are super tiny, but i have heard from many friends that for whatever reason, the flash is awful. hope that helps

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.