Cameras forum

General discussion

Ultracompact Cameras

I'm looking to buy an ultracompact camera. Basically I want it for casual use, vacation photos, etc. The most important features to me are:
small camera size
image quality (I think I should get 5 mp minimum)
less than $400
durability
battery life
ease of use

I don't care too much about a lot of manual features, although any useful ones for an amateur are obviously a plus.

So what's my best choice?

Thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Ultracompact Cameras
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Ultracompact Cameras
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Ultracompact Cameras

In reply to: Ultracompact Cameras

Sony DSC-T7 over 5 mp smallest camera out there got it at best buy for only $376 after MIR easy to use.

Collapse -
I just did the same seach...Panasonic DMC-FX9

I went with the Panasonic DMC-FX9 (LUMIX series in black) and only payed $300 through Butterflyphoto.com. I wanted something I could put in a jeans pocket for going out and for extensive travel but still delivers simplicity and excellent photo quality. It's 6 MP and has a Leica lens, plus nearly unheard-of image stabilization. It packs about as much as you can into its small size. The image stabilization is worth so much more, too- it's like having a much higher-end camera and with small cameras being prone to jitters it
s especially helpful. And it is really small. The case is metal on the sides and plastic on the front. Panasonic has an excellent repair history and puts out some awesome cameras that get overlooked.

CNET didn't seem to think as much of this camera as the Casio z750 and the new Powershot 450, but I read reviews at dcresource.com and dpreview.com that convinced me it is as good or better now that Panasonic addressed some battery issues and a couple other things in previosu versions. Frankly I think CNET punted on this particular review. They scored the fx7 at 7.2 but this one at 7.0 even though Panasonic apparently addressed the problems inherent to the already recommended (Editor's Choice for ultracompacts) fx7.

I found these other reviews helpful:
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/specs/Panasonic/panasonic_dmcfx9.asp
http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/panasonic/dmc_fx9-review/index.shtml

Collapse -
Ultracompact

Check out the Canon SD 500 Sure Shot 7mp. Fits into a small shirt pocket and produces exceptional results. I upgraded from an S400 that was great also. Check them out.
-Kevin

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.