Computer Help forum

General discussion

Ultra ATA/ Serial ATA disk??

by Sharif / May 18, 2005 4:51 AM PDT

Hi

I wanted to upgrade my disk, by adding a new hard disk with a greater capacity, it's them when I got confused with the Ultra ATA & Serial ATA, I have no idea which one I can buy/use.
It seems that the Ultra is a more recent technology than serial ATA, is that right?
My disktop is a little bit old, I am using Pentium 3,window xp pro. & I am not sure that the motherboard will support a new technology, or if I have to add something extra to my computer inorder to be able to support the Ultra ATA.
However, if my computer can't support the Ultra ATA, does this mean that I can Use the Serial ATA with no problem, or may be simply my computer is outdated?

Looking forward to receiving your kind reply & help

Thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Ultra ATA/ Serial ATA disk??
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Ultra ATA/ Serial ATA disk??
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
In short...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 18, 2005 5:05 AM PDT

1. Ultra ATA drives work on older ATA IDE channels.
It's that simple.

2. Serial ATA drives should work but in your case you'll need an adapter card.

Bob

Collapse -
Many thanks
by Sharif / May 18, 2005 5:52 AM PDT
In reply to: In short...

Thanks a lot for your very kind help & concise information.I highly appreciate it

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!