Computer Help forum

General discussion

Ulead VideoStudio (10 or 11) crashes at opening

by jhedelin / October 18, 2007 12:06 AM PDT

Recently I got problems when starting Ulead VideoStudio 10 Plus (or VideoStudio 11 Plus) from the main panel of VideoStudio (Editor, Capture,DV to DVD). The message is:
The instruction at 0x0774415b referenced memory at 0x00000000 The memory could not be written.

Contacting Ulead (Corel) and following their advices (checkdisk, disk clean, remove every temp files, Ulead directories, etc.) did not solve this nasty problem (they suggested to reinstall from scratch Windows XP, but I'm reluctant to do it): it used to work fine a few weeks ago.

System: Dell Inspiron (3 years old), 512K mem, Windows XP home with up to date updates, more than 35 GB of free space

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Ulead VideoStudio (10 or 11) crashes at opening
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Ulead VideoStudio (10 or 11) crashes at opening
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Look for more clues (where.)
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 18, 2007 12:45 AM PDT

Share what appears in the EVENT VIEWER after that.

Collapse -
Event Viewer Ulead Vstudio
by jhedelin / October 18, 2007 1:27 AM PDT

Event viewer in System shows this

\Application popup: vstudio.exe - Application Error : The instruction at "0x079d415b" referenced memory at "0x00000000". The memory could not be "written".

Click on OK to terminate the program
Click on CANCEL to debug the program

and cliking on Help and Support gave:

Explanation
The program could not load a driver because the program user doesn't have sufficient privileges to access the driver or because the drive is missing or corrupt.

User Action
To correct this problem:

Ensure that the program user has sufficient privileges to access the directory in which the driver is installed.
Reinstall the program to restore the driver to the correct location.

Collapse -
Sorry.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 18, 2007 3:03 AM PDT

I don't see the usual information that the Event Viewer provides such as EventID and more. Sorry, but the clues are not in your posts.

Bob

Collapse -
More info Ulead VStudio
by jhedelin / October 18, 2007 3:27 AM PDT
In reply to: Sorry.

Category none
User N/A

Product Windows Op System
eventid = 26
Source Application Popup
Version 5.2
Symbolic Name STATUS_LOG_HARD_ERROR

Collapse -
From a Ulead discussion board.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 18, 2007 4:00 AM PDT

"When I get the error, I finally found a place I can DL SP2 from Microsoft and I have it installed on my CPU, so I can reinstall it when I need to do so.

When I reinstalled it, that seemed to fix the problem, for a while, then it happened again. So I reinstalled SP2 again and now it is fine."

Shorter link to said discussion.

Bob

Collapse -
Ulead and Windows XP SP2
by jhedelin / October 18, 2007 10:46 AM PDT

Thanks Bob,
I downloaded XP SP2 and installed it and now Ulead VStudio is OK.
I wonder what will happen when the numerous updates after this version of SP2 are installed by Automatic Update..

Thanks again.

Collapse -
Glad you fixed it.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 18, 2007 11:51 AM PDT

It is a bit of a stumper but thanks for hanging in there and supplying me a few more clues to work with.

Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?