The CNET Lounge forum

General discussion

UK wants to require passports to buy/register cell phones

by Slikkster / October 19, 2008 1:23 AM PDT
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: UK wants to require passports to buy/register cell phones
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: UK wants to require passports to buy/register cell phones
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Great idea.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 19, 2008 2:25 AM PDT

Remember that each country controls, monitors all communications so this will at the very least remind you that all communications can be monitored.

Collapse -
I went through this
by crankycanuck / October 22, 2008 12:18 AM PDT

When I moved to Ireland, I was required to show my passport at an 02 store in order to get a mobile phone and it was just a pay as you go, not a pay monthly, and they photocopied it. Not sure where it was faxed off to though.

But there is an issue that is happening in Ireland so I can understand. Although I am not sure if an Irish National would have to turn over a copy of their passport like I did.

But many of the E.U countries are dealing with more then just terrorists. There is a thriving drug and money laundering problem that they are trying to tackle as well.

Cranky Canuck

Collapse -
sheeple taking it and smiling about it too
by Chris_the_crazy / October 22, 2008 12:37 AM PDT
In reply to: I went through this

>There is a thriving drug and money laundering problem that they are >trying to tackle as well.

It seems that youve been trained well to spout inane comments like the politicians taught you.

Is it legal for drug and money launderers to have guns?
No. Yet they have them.
Is it hard for them to then get cell phones?
No.
The authorities cant stop drugs and weapons from entering prisons and they check up your bum when you go there so how hard do you think it is for criminals to get cell phones in a country?

You dont think that the guy who buys his weapons can get a cell phone from his 'guy' as well?

Of course he can but this is one of those measures that sheeple agree to in the name of security when in reality it inconveniences the public and not the criminals.
The bonus in all of this is people are required to give out their passports to minimum salaried clerks who could just as easily fax the info to a fraud ring (hey, if youre gonna promote stupid reasoning, so can I!).

Next, you will need to give your passport to buy toilet paper.
But Im sure if they come up with some half-assed reasoning people will gladly goosestep along.

Collapse -
Political Rhetoric
by crankycanuck / October 22, 2008 5:11 AM PDT
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.