Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

UH OHH, an un removable ad ware, NEED HELP!

by rayel78 / July 16, 2006 2:41 AM PDT

A friend i know has windows media center, we downloaded some files, but apperently one had a virus, we got rid of everything except three minor annoyances-
1. an icon in the taskbar that cant be closed and keeps flashing a question mark and and an x, it pops up messages that when you click on, directs u to a program called mailware or somthing online.
2. The homepage has been deleted, every time you open internet explorer, it brings you to a page called virus protection and it gives you links to pages, telling you that your conmputer is infected.wors of all, wetever the homepage is, you can no longer go to if you type it in.
3. System restore points dont work anymore, when u do it, it restarts and says "system restore failed"

PLEASE HELP ME get rid og this cursed virus or wetever it is!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: UH OHH, an un removable ad ware, NEED HELP!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: UH OHH, an un removable ad ware, NEED HELP!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
First thing to try
by jnbhoward / July 16, 2006 2:59 AM PDT

Turn OFF system restore and reboot into Safe Mode. Use Google if you don't know how to do this. From there, run a series of spyware removal programs until the pest is gone.

If that fails, you're likely looking at a good old fashioned formatting, and a lesson learned the hard way regarding being more careful about the things you download.

Collapse -
hmmm?
by rayel78 / August 6, 2006 11:36 AM PDT

hey, i had a similar problem on my own computer recently, norton was installed and i couldn't do a restore, i uninstalled norton and restore worked, is norton the root of my friends problems?

Collapse -
Norton.
by VJ_LYNCH / August 6, 2006 4:27 PM PDT
In reply to: hmmm?

norton su***. dont use it . worthless.

do a search here on c/net for spyware/adware.

download the progs-install.
boot into safe mode and commense to removing malware.

sorry to tired to go into detail.

Collapse -
Such words are not welcome on these forums.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / August 6, 2006 9:18 PM PDT
In reply to: Norton.

Pease refrain from using them.

In addition, many people find Norton's products to work very well on their systems and they have few, if any problems. But where a computer is so infested with spyware, (Norton's is primarily an anti-virus and firewall, not anti-spyware), any malware defender is going to struggle.

Once this person clears his computer of all the problems, he may find that his Norton product works satisfactorily. If not, then he can decide.

Mark

Collapse -
??
by VJ_LYNCH / August 7, 2006 2:51 AM PDT

what word ? Su ? its 2 letters together with a few stars beside it.
what about S---- ? or ----s ? doesnt mean anything.

su can mean super usless and i give it stars for being useless.

anyways it like Norton - its your opion that many people find it usefull, personally i havent seen any polls or surveys on the subject , But i know from exp and from research that Norton isnt a great product.

from c/nets sister site zd/net - "Quote"

""Norton AntiVirus traditionally slows all but the fastest PCs. And what's really new about it? I'm sorry to report that nothing has changed this year. In fact, Norton has been coasting on old code for several years, simply dressing it up with an occasional new feature here and there"".

http://reviews-zdnet.com.com/4520-7297_16-5554923.html

I could post Countless other reviews from other sites
but you can google it yourself.

So again its your opion that many people find it usefull, im not one of them .

Consideing the free apps that do what norton at no cost - it doesnt make sense to use norton.

keep in mind - you dont just buy norton and thats it-
it cost to keep updating it ect ect.

Collapse -
ask for help in Virus and security alerts
by vera kofler / August 6, 2006 10:14 PM PDT

You are not the only one with this problem I would post in Virus and security alerts Marianne and Roddy will help you for sure, High jack this forums are stuffed with people trying to solve the same problem you have, I do not know if I can tell you about some highjack this forums but marianne for sure is going to help
good luck

Collapse -
Try This
by Integrity / August 7, 2006 2:45 AM PDT
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?