TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Uh.. do I really need a 6900 Joule Surge Protector... ?

by Pioneer 420 / February 15, 2007 1:25 AM PST

... and 1080p 2 Meter HDMI Gold Plated Cables for a Sharp Aquos LC-42D62U 1080p LCD HDTV...?

I'm being sheared, right? I'd be grateful for any expert advice. Thanks.

-- Pioneer, Washington, D.C.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Uh.. do I really need a 6900 Joule Surge Protector... ?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Uh.. do I really need a 6900 Joule Surge Protector... ?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
surge
by bevillan / February 15, 2007 3:11 AM PST

First off, you don't need the gold plated HDMI cables as I am sure they are expensive. Get a cheaper Philips HDMI cable from Walmart.

I use a $60 Belkin surge protector/power strip and I rest assured. The Monster surge protector is insanely priced, although it gives you alot of outlets. You definitely need a surge protector, but you really don't need a top of the line one.

Collapse -
oh and...
by bevillan / February 15, 2007 3:17 AM PST
In reply to: surge

The Belkins for $50 offer 3550 Joule protection with $200,000 connected equipment warranty.

Collapse -
Panamax M8C-EX
by EXCON / February 15, 2007 3:43 AM PST
In reply to: oh and...

Costs about $75.00 and uses the same circuitry that the $1500.00 Panamax suppressors use.

Collapse -
Big dollar warranty. You have to sepcify exactly what
by NM_Bill / February 15, 2007 10:15 AM PST
In reply to: oh and...

equipment when you register. Connected equipment changes. Anyone heard of what happens when a claim is filed for that big dollar figure warranty?

Anyhow, in general power surge damage does happen & power surges are decidedly NOT rare. A good power surge is essential. And I'd never again go the cheap route on that even though I did have a sacrificial 20 buck unit melt to save my PC when the electric company,while chainging out the pole transformer, wired it backwards. Neighbors had thousands in damage. The electric company did admit liability.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!