Computer Help forum

General discussion

ugh..can someone help me?? Please =(

by pingu13 / January 19, 2006 7:26 AM PST

Hey, i'm pretty computer illiterate and I would totallly appreciate it if someone could give me step by step directions on how to do this:

Extract STB Updater ver3.31 and Blacklist Updater to a directory. Call it ?Satellite Files? Place this directory on your desktop.

I have windows xp

Thank you so much for reading.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: ugh..can someone help me?? Please =(
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: ugh..can someone help me?? Please =(
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Pingu, What Are You Extracting It From?
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / January 19, 2006 7:48 AM PST

A little clearer explanation of EXACTLY what you're trying to do would certainly help.

It appears like you've got a compressed file (.zip or .rar) and you need to uncompress or extract the various files inside to a separate folder/directory on your desktop.

So you'll need to create a new folder/directory on your desktop and name it Satellite Files. (RIGHT click on the desktop, choose "New", select "Folder", then immediately type the name as "Satellite Files".)

Now, using your Unzipper tool, extract the files out of the compressed file and place them in the new folder that you just created.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
thanks....does this help?
by pingu13 / January 19, 2006 7:51 AM PST

im extracting them from an email I got. Your instructions are awesome..but umm.(embarassed) whats an unzipper tool?

Collapse -
one more thing
by pingu13 / January 19, 2006 7:55 AM PST

how do I place the files from the compressed files into the new folder??

Collapse -
am I wasting my time?
by pingu13 / January 19, 2006 8:09 AM PST

i dont get it? Are my questions too dumb for this forum? Is no one responding because the answer is so simple? I just searched for a computer help forum and got this one. I've been trying to do this for an hour. If I'm in the wrong place, can someone at least tell me? Thanks!

Collapse -
Pingu, Please Slow Down...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / January 19, 2006 8:20 AM PST
In reply to: am I wasting my time?

Recognize that all members of this forum are here because they want to be...Even the moderators, such as myself, aren't paid to be here. If all the members are out eating dinner, it may be a while. So please be patient...It may take 24 hours for a response to be made.

Some of the response time can certainly be helped if you explain things clearly..

As I asked before, what EXACTLY are you trying to do with these files..Those files are intended for a program of some type..What kind?

We don't know whether you need an Unzipper tool or not..You mentioned that you got the instructions and a file in your e-mail..What type of file attachment came in the e-mail? (What was the file extension of the file?) Or did you not get an attachment at all?

Hope this helps and let us know more.

Grif

Collapse -
so sorry
by pingu13 / January 19, 2006 8:32 AM PST

im dumb....its a .zip

Collapse -
A .zip On Windows XP...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / January 19, 2006 9:11 AM PST
In reply to: so sorry

If the file came as an attachment in your e-mail, RIGHT clickon the attachment, choose "Save As", then save the .zip file to any location on your computer..I prefer the desktop but make sure you remember where it's being saved to.

After it's saved and after you've created the new folder "Satellite Files" on your desktop, close your e-mail and navigate to the saved .zip file..It should look similar to a folder with a zipper on it..Double click on the .zip file and you'll see the other files inside.RIGHT click on the "STB Updater ver3.31" file inside, choose "Copy"..Now open the "Satellite Files" folder, RIGHT click on the blank area inside, choose "paste". The file should be copied to that location..Now do the same for the other file you need to extract.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Detailed instructions with pictures...
by Edward ODaniel / January 19, 2006 4:01 PM PST
In reply to: so sorry
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?