Resolved Question

UE55JU6400 Setup help needed

Feb 6, 2016 12:23AM PST

First off, aerials do not work in our rural area so I have just bought a Samsung smart TV just for use with Netflix. I have set it up but on every turn on it gives me the error "no stored channels found please run auto tuning". I have run auto tuning (and it didn't find anything because I have no input.)
Whenever I use the smart hub I get the same error behind that too (are you meant to have a nice picture like on the box?)
Netflix itself works fine and the picture is fantastic but I would like to tidy up the intro and background. Does anyone know what I am doing wrong?

Discussion is locked

Guy Sherborne has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Follow
Reply to: UE55JU6400 Setup help needed
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: UE55JU6400 Setup help needed
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments

Best Answer

- Collapse -
ALWAYS call this in.
Feb 6, 2016 11:51AM PST

For some unknown reason Samsung on most models doesn't have an option to turn that off.

You have choices to make here. Call it in and confirm then decide if the set is going back as its design doesn't work for you.

- Collapse -
Additional question
Feb 6, 2016 2:26PM PST

Thank you, I will call them. Do you know if there is a way to get the TV to boot directly into the Smart Section? and do you know about how to engage the background picture?

- Collapse -
Sorry no.
Feb 6, 2016 2:39PM PST

There are prior replies to this question and for reasons I can't imagine, many models don't do this.

What is this "background picture"? This is a TV, not a PC. Some folk thing Smart TVs to have capabilities like their PC.

- Collapse -
Thank you
Feb 7, 2016 11:27AM PST

Thank you for your time in replying. I am aware that this is a TV and not a PC, my apologies if somehow my question alluded that I didn't. I thought it was a fair question given that the TV runs on a Linux based operating system, I must admit to being ignorant as to what modern TVs can actually do.

- Collapse -
The current models
Feb 7, 2016 3:14PM PST

Don't appear to be Linux based. I know folk want it to be more like a personal computer but so far, it falls far short. I took another look at the product specs and manual and find nothing about changing the image background.

Can you share where this feature is?

"Modern TV" appears to be more under the maker's control than ours. I wrote about this a little at http://www.cnet.com/forums/post/ed2e51ff-ab2a-47a4-9124-db84771b0cd6/

- Collapse -
The Current Models
Feb 9, 2016 3:12AM PST

I thought Samsung switched to Tizen operating system from 2015 onwards? If so then that is based on the Linux kernel.

I have just heard from Samsung support who were helpful. They have given me a work around for the error message which I will try later when I get home. In case anyone is using their TV just as a smart hub and without an aerial input and are faced with the "no stored channels found please run auto tuning" error, here is Samsung's response:

There is no way to turn off the error message in the general screens, however you can turn the error message off in the Smart Hub section. After that you can keep the TV in the Smart Hub section simply by ensuring that you are in Smart Hub when you turn the TV off. When you turn it back on again you will go straight into the Smart Hub. This way you never see that error message.

- Collapse -
Sounds like some progress.
Feb 9, 2016 8:06AM PST

Wish they would upgrade their TV to avoid all those calls and give what users want.

I looked at the model with Tizen again and no GPL or sign of Linux. Are they disregarding the Linux license model?

- Collapse -
Nearly
Feb 10, 2016 2:09AM PST

I tried their workaround last night and part of it involved putting the TV into the 'Store Mode'. This has a side effect of resetting the picture every 5 minutes so probably not ideal.

Having said all this, once you are past the error message the picture itself is fantastic, which is the main reason I bought the television in the first place!

CNET Forums

Forum Info