HolidayBuyer's Guide

Samsung forum

General discussion

UE46B8000XWXXU wont play Downloaded 720p video files

by Amsterdampaul / November 28, 2009 2:45 AM PST

Hi, Ive just got a new UE46B8000 (model UE46B8000XWXXU) and when I try to play media from USB or DLNA half of the media files do not play correctly..

Its strange but stuff for the UK such as Spooks/TopGear etc work correctly, but shows from the USA such as CSI, StarGate Universe seem to play at 2x speed with no sound...

VideoInspector shows most of the files as being:

csi.ny.s06e09.720p.hdtv.x264-immerse.mkv
Video:
Resolution : 1280x720 (16/9)
FPS: 23.976
Codec: MPEG4 ISO advanced

Audio:
Number of channels: 6
Sample Rate: 48000 Hz
Codec: (Dolby(TM))AC3

Im hoping ive not got a media playing turkey in this TV Sad
Ive been using the playstation3 to play my media up to now and was hoping the TV would take up that role, but with it playing nothing I download from the USA its usless in that role...

Anyone from Samsung got a response?

It seems the UE46B8000 does not play almost all of the 720p x264 encoded tv shows from the USA.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: UE46B8000XWXXU wont play Downloaded 720p video files
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: UE46B8000XWXXU wont play Downloaded 720p video files
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Update the firmware
by panzer008 / November 28, 2009 3:16 AM PST

Firmware update might be able to fix this...... I hav the 40" 7000 LED and it plays all the mkv files I throw at it, updated to FW 2004.

Everyone knows tht DTS audio doesnt play on Samsung 2009 models but hav not encountered a single mkv file(720p/1080p)with ac3 audio tht hasnt played on Samsung.

Collapse -
Already updated the firmware
by Amsterdampaul / November 28, 2009 8:29 AM PST
In reply to: Update the firmware

Already tried a firmware update, didnt help.. same as with older firmware... Sad

Collapse -
Already updated the firmware
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / November 28, 2009 11:20 AM PST

Amsterdampaul,

I'm thinking it's likely because of the PAL vs. NTSC format issue between the two units. I'm unable to verify that at this point, but if I had to guess, I'd suspect that to be the culprit.

--HDTech

Collapse -
Dont agree
by panzer008 / November 28, 2009 2:59 PM PST

I dont agree with HD_Tech

MKV files donot follow PAL or NTSC

They r encoded with x264 codec into mkv container..... so there i no question of PAL or NTSC

Collapse -
my solution
by whackawookie / November 28, 2009 8:50 PM PST

you could try using XenonMKV, its a free app that doesn't touch the resolution but converts the audio and spits out an mp4 thats 360 compatible. very short process and everything has played perfectly on my tv

Collapse -
sorta worked
by Amsterdampaul / November 30, 2009 2:11 AM PST
In reply to: my solution

It did the job, the file plays, but sadly it converted the 6channel audio to 2channel Sad loosing the surround sound isnt what I want Sad

Collapse -
Frame rate?
by jw650 / November 29, 2009 7:16 PM PST
Collapse -
Sad but probably true
by Amsterdampaul / November 30, 2009 5:32 AM PST
In reply to: Frame rate?

seems the media player in the TV is next to useless for me, certainly not going to replace the PS3 as a media player

Shame when one spends over 2.4K on a tv...

Im using is more as a monitor now, surround sound system, PS3 media playing.. tv for display only.. Pah silly me

Collapse -
46B8000XW - mkv files - firmware issue??
by pito7 / December 3, 2009 4:42 AM PST
In reply to: Sad but probably true

Hi, my samy 46B8000XW does not recognise mkv files (renamed to .avi) from usb hdd (firmware 2009 and 3000 as well) attached. The same hdd with the same content connected to a 40B8000 located in the shop plays the mkv files without a problem. Most probably the 40B8000 has an older firmware (as they got that tv much earlier than the new 46inch came to the shop). Do they stopped mkv support?

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.