Samsung forum

General discussion

UE40C6005 and H.264 video

by B0er / November 10, 2010 8:16 PM PST

I have a bunch a movie files an a USB stick on the side of my UE40C6005. Playing those is really a hit-and-miss experience. Some work some don't. Those that do not work play audio but the screen remains blank.

I have encoded the movies with the same software using the same H.264/MPEG-4 AVC high profile settings. Why some of them work and some not I think is due to shoddy playback codec on the TV.

I would be more than happy to provide Samsung movie samples should that improve the chances of them ever fixing this issue.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: UE40C6005 and H.264 video
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: UE40C6005 and H.264 video
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Do they
by Diligent1 / November 11, 2010 12:53 AM PST

play good on your pc? Ive had problems like this where I was sure the file was good only to find out that it must have screwed up during conversion and plays the same way on the pc.

Collapse -
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / November 11, 2010 8:36 AM PST

B0er,

The file types would have to match the container specifications listed in the manual. The video codec, audio codec and resolution all have to match in the chart listed. It may be that a brief re-encoding might allow several of the files to play back fine.

I can't accept video samples at this time.

--HDTech

Collapse -
by B0er / November 11, 2010 1:25 PM PST

Thank you for your interest in my problem. Here is what I can tell you:

- I have a couple of dozen H.264/AAC movie files, some of them work on the TV some not (screen is blank, audio plays).
- All the files have been encoded using the same software and settings (x264 encoder).
- The parameters of the files fit well within required resolution, fps and bitrate detailed on the manual. They are SD content not HD.
- All the files work well on my Mac with QuickTime.
- The TV can create preview icons for every files, so the TV can decode the files ok. It just won't play some of them back for some reason.

As is the TV does not meet with my quality expectations. I am considering taking mine back. If you cannot accept samples, could you at least confirm if Samsung is aware of these issues and working on them?

Collapse -
by B0er / November 11, 2010 4:46 PM PST

Also it might be of interest that in addition to Mac/QuickTime, for example PS3 plays all the said files without problems.

Collapse -
Not that interesting.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 12, 2010 12:24 AM PST

Those players are far more capable than what's in the HDTVs. Your complaint is well known and the fix annoys folk. You must find the encoding that works.

Let me be blunt. Folk are download such from the internet and it plays on Mac/QuickTime/PS3 and they want it to play on these HDTVs.

Sorry, for today, now, not going to happen unless you take control and encode it in what coding works.

Sorry to be so blunt but it looked like you needed it laid out in bare form.
Bob

Collapse -
roger that
by Diligent1 / November 12, 2010 3:01 AM PST
In reply to: Not that interesting.

Ive encoded many different ways to see what works and what dont. I use what works. Ive read somewhere that mkv compresses to a smaller size but I use DVDFAB8 and whether I use mkv or avi, they are both the same file size. You have to play with your encoding software and pick what works best. I got a 12.5 gig m2ts down to 2.4 gig using both mkv and avi. Looks just like the m2ts and video audio sync is right on the money.

Collapse -
by B0er / November 12, 2010 3:05 AM PST
In reply to: Not that interesting.

I see where you are coming from, Bob, but I can assure you that all the information I have given is correct. My files are legit, I have encoded them myself and the shoddy Samsung codec is acting all irrational on them. I would not go through with the trouble of complaining here had I just downloaded some random files from the net.

Collapse -
See post 7.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 12, 2010 3:08 AM PST

The story repeats over and over. The codecs are not very good. So we dance around it by going with what works.

I apologize but it looked like you needed it written plainly so to avoid losing time waiting for updates to firmware and the runaround.

--> It's great the files are legitimate. That only means that we get to find the encoding that works.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?