General discussion

ubuntu install issues on dual boot raid

simply put. I have 2 HDs in RAID 0 a 3rd HD for back-ups and a 4th HD for media. I backed everything up and created a partition on the "back-up" drive. I wanted to install ubuntu to it. My Main OS is XP and is on the RAID array. I booted from the latest ubuntu .iso and found the 50gb partition I wish to use on the "back-up" drive. I selected it and told it to install. It finished installing and said to reboot, took the disk out, and the system booted right into windows. When I went into the file browser, the whole "back-up" disk does not show up now. Plus the computer won't propmt me to boot to ubuntu. Anyone have any suggestions on how I can get my disk back? and how I can get it to dual boot.

Notes: I did not install any "raid drivers" before the OS install because I figured ubuntu didn't need them. I think it's possible "grub" did not recognize the windows raid partition and got lost somehow.

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: ubuntu install issues on dual boot raid
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: ubuntu install issues on dual boot raid
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
You have your reasons

But IMHO, I do not use RAID setups on Home Systems. One reason is due to the nature of the Cavernous availability of today's HDD is not really a need for them. Other, is the way the files are stored, if one drive bites the dust, depending of RAID setup, you loos it all. If they are mirror, just cuts your size by half.

I rather deal with individual discs, in case if one fails, I do not at least I can recover what is on other drives.

A nice thing that you can do is, use a secondary drive to place your Page and/or Swap file. That will free up a drive to read/write on a application and another drive that plays as Virtual RAM. That will boost some performance, no for much, but some.

I did my home setup with one drive dual boot with Win and Linux and used the rest for storage. You could do RAID on the storage, but as I said before, I do not really see a real gain to set up a RAID system on home computer without an external media backup (tape, DVD, etc..)

I use Mandriva Linux 2010 and I can say is much easier to use and setup than the *buntus... Happy

- Collapse -
Got ya

Well noted. Although my 2 Raptor drives in Raid 0 have been performing wonderfully. I think it may be time to retire the raid. To update my original question. I am thinking that the GRUB (linux bootloader) did not recognize my raid array as a boot disk (my XP) and there for did not configure itself properly by overwriting the XP MBR with the newly installed GRUB. Hence why I could not boot into ubuntu. The ubuntu DID install on the "back-up" disk partition as I wanted HOWEVER, the GRUB information wrote to the disk (primary partition)that I did not want it to. So even though it was NTFS and had an image file on it. Windows did not recognize it because it had GRUB information on it and flagged it as something other then "extended storage" for windows.

Two possible solutions. I chose to purchase a Western Digital Black edition HD 640Gb 32Mb cache over at the egg. With the promo code it's cheaper then the 500Gb Black. According to tests and specs, this new hard drive will get better readings than my first generation Raptors. Once I get my current OS image on it, I will have no more raid (thank god, the floppy was cramping my style). Then I should not have an issue with ubuntu or any others for that matter.

- Collapse -
Is that...

GRUB 2, I heard that is not fully developed and is fielded on the *buntus already.

- Collapse -
agree

GRUB2 I guess only comes with the latest version of buntu 9.10 and higher. It actually gets more complex to upgrade your original grub. I am taking out the RAID 0, but I read GRUB 2 is going to make it easier for people like me with many disks and different arrays. I will believe it when I see it.

- Collapse -
Boot a live disc and

Well first make sure you didn't format your backup data
* Boot with a live distro disc and see if you can view all the partitions in Linux and that the data is all there. Look at the program gparted and the Places area at the top of Gnome panel. Ubuntu's default is to wipe the partition and install using a linux file system like ext4 or xfs which windows doesn't see.

Ubuntu also defaults to installing grub. you may have chosen to install it using the advanced options to install only to that backup partition and not the master boot record.

If you're up for it, try to install it again using a manual partitioning option (you need a root partition / and a swap partition) and try to look carefully at grub installation options (the default grub option should be what you want).

good luck

CNET Forums

Forum Info