HolidayBuyer's Guide

Linux forum

General discussion

Ubuntu Connect

by StargateFan / October 16, 2007 1:08 PM PDT

Hey everyone, my system setup for this question is a Thinkpad T42 with a 40GB hard drive. 30GB is reserved for WinXP my primary OS, therefore it is a NTFS partition. The rest of the drive is partitioned in an extended partition. 6.19GB is partitioned as ext3 and holds Ubuntu, the rest of the drive, 337MB, is reserved as Swap Space.

Now I have GRUB configured to boot Windows as the Primary OS. What I would like to do is access my Ubuntu OS and partition from inside XP. This means full GUI (X System, Nautilus, the whole 9 yards) is this possible?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Ubuntu Connect
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Ubuntu Connect
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Doubbtful.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 16, 2007 11:15 PM PDT
In reply to: Ubuntu Connect

Did you notice you knew exactly which file system you used for Windows but didn't tell for Ubuntu? This is usually why this question can't be answered. For most file systems, Windows can't support it. There is FUSE noted at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Filesystem_in_Userspace which is used not only on Linux but MacOSX to solve this issue. For Windows users they have to provide a common ground for exchanging files with Linux.

Bob

Collapse -
Bob,
by StargateFan / October 17, 2007 4:41 AM PDT
In reply to: Doubbtful.

Thanks for the response, I appreciate it. As far as stating the filesystem Ubuntu uses I believe I did, it uses ext3. As far as sharing files across platforms, thats not what I am trying to do. I want a non virtual way to access the Linux Partition and open it as a X System Window in Windows. As far as I know, and I am sure of this, software called coLinux which is an emulation program can do this through the use of running a debian kernel with backports tied to the Ubuntu partition. Hence forth booting the Ubunut partition from inside Windows via coLinux. Unfortunately coLinux will only provide access to the bash terminal, therefore I need to reconfigure TCP/IP Protocols to allow for network sharing via PCAP, which will then allow the Ubuntu system to be seen in it's entirely X System and all via a Remote Desktop software like VNC, or even Remote Desktop(I need to cross check this one I am not sure).

My question was there any alternative programs out there that does this. Or do I have to do it the hard way.

Collapse -
4 letters. Sorry it was there.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 17, 2007 4:43 AM PDT
In reply to: Bob,
Collapse -
Running your Ubuntu...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 16, 2007 11:17 PM PDT
In reply to: Ubuntu Connect
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.