General discussion

Ubuntu and Fan Control

System Specs:
Mem - 512
Operating system - dual boot ubuntu and xp pro
manufacturer - sony

Okay i just installed ubuntu on an onld harddrive and insereted the drive on to my current computer. I took the old drive out of an extra pc i had. The problem is that when i boot normally into xp, have a fan control aoo that shuts dwn all the noise of the fan. This app doesn't seem to work in unbuntu and i get the full and considerable noise of the fan. How can i turn doen the noise of the fan. And also the fan control app i am talking about is from the sony application cd i got from the computer. I havee tried to install the app on ubuntu from the cd but it doens;t work. Is there any way i can reduce the noise level of the fan in ubuntu

Thanks a lot

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Ubuntu and Fan Control
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Ubuntu and Fan Control
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Isn't that a bad idea?

What happens when the fan really needs to cool the CPU? Are you letting the CPU overheat just for a little less noise?

Bob

- Collapse -
Sony Vaio Fan Speed TOO LOUD

"Isn't that a bad idea?"

No, not at all. The original application he's referring to is a Sony specific driver for older Vaios. It is not necessary to run the fan at the highest RPM all day long. The Sony driver quiets the fan after boot up and for low-load tasks. I actually have this same issue since I have 2 of these older Vaios (circa 2001). Normally it wouldn't be a big deal for me except these dinosaurs sound like a chevy engine block gone bad.

To OP, the key is for us to find a fan app for Linux where we can control fan speed or have it altered based on CPU temp. There is one called SpeedFan for all versions of Windows, but no Linux support. I'll report back if I find anything.

- Collapse -
Chad, here's the prior discussions about this.
- Collapse -
Sony v

oh ok! Thanks. I'll give it a shot. Sorry I misunderstood what was going on.

- Collapse -
fanspeed

I'm trying to use these instructions: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=42737

Unfortunately, I can't get through the 1st step which is to setup lm-sensors. It has its own page here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2780

I can get down to the section where it talks about adding the modules in reverse order. Since I'm not logged in as root, it won't let me make any changes to these files. This may be above my head being a linux noob and all: a lot of trouble to slow down a fan speed! I'm starting to think it doesn't sound that loud. Wink

- Collapse -
(NT) If not root, sudo?

CNET Forums

Forum Info