Linux forum

General discussion

Ubuntu 9.04 wireless issue

by Kiwipeter / December 11, 2009 4:26 PM PST

Hi

I am installing Ubuntu 9.04 to a Foxconn e-bot PC, and cannot get my wireless network to work. The wireless card is an ASUS WL138G v2 or a WL-138E card. I have taken these details off the Windows driver cd that came with it.

When I click on the Network Manager my wireless network is not recognised. I tried setting it up manually. I've read that there is a rather complicated way of installing the Windows wireless driver however the message being returned is that the device is Disabled. It's not meant to be disabled, and it was enabled in Windows.

Can anyone advise me what to do? I did wonder about taking the card out and reseating it

Below is the dump from executing the Terminal command as recommended by the Ubuntu Help

administrator@administrator-desktop:~$
administrator@administrator-desktop:~$ sudo lshw -C network
*-network:0
description: Ethernet interface
product: SiS900 PCI Fast Ethernet
vendor: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS]
physical id: 4
bus info: pci@0000:00:04.0
logical name: eth0
version: 90
serial: 00:01:6c:b9:02:1d
size: 10MB/s
capacity: 100MB/s
width: 32 bits
clock: 33MHz
capabilities: pm bus_master cap_list ethernet physical tp mii 10bt 10bt-fd 100bt 100bt-fd autonegotiation
configuration: autonegotiation=on broadcast=yes driver=sis900 driverversion=v1.08.10 Apr. 2 2006 duplex=half latency=32 link=no maxlatency=11 mingnt=52 module=sis900 multicast=yes port=MII speed=10MB/s
*-network:1
description: Network controller
product: BCM4318 [AirForce One 54g] 802.11g Wireless LAN Controller
vendor: Broadcom Corporation
physical id: 8
bus info: pci@0000:00:08.0
version: 02
width: 32 bits
clock: 33MHz
capabilities: bus_master
configuration: driver=b43-pci-bridge latency=32 module=ssb
*-network:0 DISABLED
description: Wireless interface
physical id: 1
logical name: wlan0
serial: 00:22:15:13:39:f5
capabilities: ethernet physical wireless
configuration: broadcast=yes multicast=yes wireless=IEEE 802.11bg
*-network:1 DISABLED
description: Ethernet interface
physical id: 2
logical name: pan0
serial: 96:4a:cb:cc:15:72
capabilities: ethernet physical
configuration: broadcast=yes driver=bridge driverversion=2.3 firmware=N/A link=yes multicast=yes
administrator@administrator-desktop:~$

Peter

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Ubuntu 9.04 wireless issue
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Ubuntu 9.04 wireless issue
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
sugestions
by GODhack / December 11, 2009 10:00 PM PST

Generally it work automatically.... Except very bad cases when hardware manufacturers do not write Linux code themselves and even do not give technical information to ones who want to write drivers for free.
In this situation still possible to get wireless working. You have to use ndiswrapper (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NDISwrapper):

NDISwrapper is a free software driver wrapper that enables the use of Windows XP drivers for network devices (cards, USB modems, and routers), on Unix-like operating systems. <...>

How-to get it working in Ubuntu in detail described here:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WifiDocs/Driver/Ndiswrapper

Also try 9.10 maybe better luck with it.

Collapse -
Just an idea.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 11, 2009 10:01 PM PST
Collapse -
Thanks Guys
by Kiwipeter / December 12, 2009 6:29 AM PST
In reply to: Just an idea.

Thanks for the thoughts. They are in line with my own thoughts. I've looked as the ndiswrapper guide but it just seems way too hard

I'll see if I can get release 9.10 working on it, failing that I think I will replace the card with a dlink card which I see is well supported

Collapse -
BCMfirmware cutter?
by 3rdalbum / December 18, 2009 6:14 PM PST
In reply to: Thanks Guys

1. Hook your computer up to the router using an Ethernet cable. This gives you an Internet connection.

2. Go to System > Administration > Synaptic Package Manager, and click the Reload button. It will load the list of available Ubuntu packages.

3. Close Synaptic. Go to System > Administration > Hardware Drivers. If your card has a driver available from online, then it will tell you and give you the option to download and activate it. Do this.

4. Shut down your computer fully, and then start it up without the Ethernet cable. Go to the Network Manager applet on your top panel, which will probably look like an aerial and some dots next to it. Click this applet and choose your wireless network.

Hopefully that's all you need to get it going.

If this fails, THEN try Ndiswrapper.

Collapse -
Thanks!
by Kiwipeter / December 19, 2009 1:37 AM PST
In reply to: BCMfirmware cutter?

Thanks for that process - it looks much more achieveable than the NDSWrapper route, I'll give it a go today

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.