HolidayBuyer's Guide

Linux forum

General discussion

Ubuntu 6.10 (Edgy Eft) released.

by Owyn / October 25, 2006 10:51 PM PDT
http://www.ubuntu.com/

"There are now two versions of Ubuntu, choose which is best for you:
Ubuntu 6.10, the newest Ubuntu release: If you would like to benefit from the latest Ubuntu features, this is the release for you

Ubuntu 6.06 LTS, Ubuntu with long-term support: Choose this to benefit from the long support life-cycle of the 6.06 LTS release. This version is supported for 3 years on the desktop and 5 years on servers.
"

http://www.ubuntu.com/products/GetUbuntu/download?action=show&redirect=download

Time to grab a new desktop CD and re-test the out of box experience on my test system.

Note: My "production" systems are staying at 6.06 + updates, for now anyway.
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Ubuntu 6.10 (Edgy Eft) released.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Ubuntu 6.10 (Edgy Eft) released.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Main download slow. Bittorrent much faster (at this time)
by Owyn / October 25, 2006 11:32 PM PDT
Collapse -
Bittorrent also slow
by 3rdalbum / October 26, 2006 3:40 PM PDT

Bittorrent is also slow, at least for me (it would've taken 20 hours to download through BT). If you can bear the thought of waiting a week, you should wait until demand subsides.

Collapse -
Do you have port 6881 open?
by Owyn / October 26, 2006 7:31 PM PDT
In reply to: Bittorrent also slow

BT usually gets faster as more nodes are added to the swarms.

The two main reasons BT can be slow are (other than not enough seeds)
- Behind a NAT router and inbound port (6881 by default) is not forwarded.
- ISP is traffic shaping. Enabling protocol encryption usually avoids this.

Collapse -
Thanks for the tip
by 3rdalbum / October 28, 2006 1:06 PM PDT

Thanks for the tip. I was uploading to at least one other person at the same time, and I've had fast downloads on Bittorrent before, but I'll try opening port 6881 and seeing if that helps.

Collapse -
Tip MMV
by Owyn / October 28, 2006 10:50 PM PDT
In reply to: Thanks for the tip

The mileage may vary on that (port open / forwarded) tip.

First, it usually only applies when you are behind a NAT router.

Second, if you get good speeds from other torrents then you are probably set up properly.

Third, 6881 is the "classic" Bittorrent in-bound port. Depending on your client it could be set to something else, even random at start. There is usually a preference and test setting for the port in your BT client.

Using protocol encryption to avoid traffic shaping is safe but is not a cure all. However, if there are a lot of nodes in the swarm and your speed is low, then it is definitely worth testing. I have been using it since it became available.

Anyway, BT is usually a great way to get a new distro shortly after release. It is quickly seeded and most Penguin heads are pretty good about leaving seeds around for a while after download complete.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Lots of mirrors now. Speed should be fine.
by Owyn / October 27, 2006 10:24 PM PDT
Collapse -
Ubuntu update is 'Edgy' on boot speed
by Owyn / October 26, 2006 2:49 AM PDT

http://msn-cnet.com.com/2100-1012_3-6129594.html?part=rss&tag=6129594&subj=news

"Edgy Eft also comes with the newest version 2.6 of the Gnome graphical user interface; fans of the KDE alternative can use a variant called Kubuntu.

The new Linux product also includes Firefox 2.0, released Wednesday, and two applications that use Novell's Mono software foundation: Tomboy, for taking notes, and F-Spot, for sorting, tagging and uploading photos. It also includes version 2.8 of the Evolution e-mail software."

Collapse -
Hmmm. That review was just a paraphrase of
by Owyn / October 26, 2006 3:09 AM PDT
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.