Linux forum

General discussion

Ubuntu 10.04 Drivers for a homemade computer

by Elljl / August 1, 2010 7:29 AM PDT

Hi, I am looking to build a computer with the following parts:

-AMD Athlon II X3 445 Rana 3.1GHz 3 x 512KB L2 Cache Socket AM3 95W Triple-Core Desktop Processor ADX445WFGMBOX

-Western Digital Caviar Blue WD6400AAKS 640GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

-Crucial 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10600) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model CT2KIT12864BA1339

-GIGABYTE GA-880GA-UD3H AM3 AMD 880G HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard

-SeaSonic S12II 330 Bronze 330W ATX12V v2.3 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply

-ASUS Black 24X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 12X DVD+R DL 24X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA 24X DVD Burner - Bulk - OEM

I am just hoping to make sure that all these parts would work with Ubuntu 10.04, since I have never used Ubuntu before, and don't want to pay for Windows 7. Should Ubuntu come with the necessary drivers, or will it download them automatically, or will I have to get by with generic drivers until I can find Linux drivers for each part? I want to save the money spent on Windows 7 for a monitor, and my budget already is $750-$800 CAD. If any of the parts won't work, could you please recommend a similarly priced product that is? Thanks in advance.

*NOTE* All parts are from Newegg Canada.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Ubuntu 10.04 Drivers for a homemade computer
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Ubuntu 10.04 Drivers for a homemade computer
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Ubuntu will come with the necessary drivers
by GODhack / August 1, 2010 4:01 PM PDT

Ubuntu will come with the necessary drivers for these parts in this list.
For some other parts they are downloaded automatically trough proprietary driver manager.
For some rare parts manual 'hacks' are needed.

Try QCad community edition for linux is free (GPL as Linux itself).

Collapse -
The only question on my mind would be...
by ahtoi / August 2, 2010 12:25 AM PDT

the support for usb3 and sata6. Everything else should be no problem.

Collapse -
Linux was first with USB3 support
by GODhack / August 2, 2010 5:23 AM PDT

It was quick with SATA 6 Gb/s too.

Collapse -
USB3 and SATA 6Gb/s
by Elljl / August 2, 2010 5:30 AM PDT

Linux had support for USB3 first? I guess it could, since it has the community developing for it. So, if I'm understanding this right, I shouldn't have to manually download any drivers? I've checked on most of the manufacturers web sites, and none even mention much about Linux support, except for the Gigabyte motherboard which says to download drivers for each individual chipset. So Ubuntu I guess must come with some pretty good hardware support, then. Oh, and what is this about a proprietary driver manager? Would it have to be downloaded from somewhere? And how would I make these rare manual 'hacks'? It sounds good, though, so maybe I'll just get the parts and try it.

Collapse -
Before You Take the Plunge
by nbahn / August 2, 2010 9:25 AM PDT
In reply to: USB3 and SATA 6Gb/s

You may want to consider seeking advice at any &/or all of the below resources:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/InternetRelayChat
https://lists.ubuntu.com/
http://www.ubuntu.com/support/community/webforums

and by the way, if you're planning on exclusively using (at least, at this point in time) a desktop environment -- as opposed to a server environment -- then you MAY want to consider a Linux flavor that doesn't have a server component as such flavors are simpler and less complicated.

Curiously enough, the below URL is for an author whose opinion on Ubuntu's strengths are different from my own.....
http://www.reallylinux.com/docs/which.html
Here's a search page of a comprehensive database of Linux flavors.....
http://www.linux.org/dist/
and here are links to comprehensive lists of Linux applications.
http://www.linux.org/apps/

Happy reading!

Collapse -
Forgot To Include This Link
by nbahn / August 2, 2010 10:17 AM PDT
Collapse -
Thanks for your advice
by Elljl / August 2, 2010 10:41 AM PDT

Thanks for your advice and the links. I've taken a look at them, and they have been extremely useful. I think I may stay with Ubuntu just because I have played with it a little on a virtual machine, not much since I only have 3GB RAM on my laptop. I've used Fedora as well, and don't have anything against it, but I just think I'll stick with Ubuntu. Further on, if I get more hard drive space, I'll maybe set up a dual-boot system with some different flavours, including Ubuntu, Fedora, Linux Mint, and others maybe. By the way, do you know who would have more/better hardware support (ie. drivers)? Fedora or Ubuntu? Thanks.

Collapse -
Links
by Elljl / August 3, 2010 3:55 AM PDT
In reply to: Here Are Some Links

Thank you so much! I've been trying to find stuff like this. Now I'm 99.9% sure I won't be installing Windows on this build.

Collapse -
That's good to hear.
by ahtoi / August 2, 2010 8:53 AM PDT

I think I will give that a try also. I recently bought a usb3 controller and installed it to my win2000 OS computer but I was unable to get it to recognize the controller even though it came with driver, but it just wouldn't install correctly. So I will give the Linux box a go. I have the latest PClinuxOS.

Collapse -
Installing Ubuntu
by Elljl / August 3, 2010 5:14 AM PDT

I haven't ordered my parts yet, I'm probably going to do that on Thursday. In the mean time, I thought I could burn an ISO to a disc to install it. But before I download using the CD torrent, I should ask, the CD installer is OK to be burned onto a DVD, right? I shouldn't have to use the DVD download just because I'm using a DVD? It's all I have, and I don't want to go out and get a pack of CDs just for one. I hope this is making sense.

In a nutshell: Is it OK to use the standard CD installer for Ubuntu on a DVD (-R), or do I have to use the DVD download? Thanks.

Collapse -
Yes it's fine
by 3rdalbum / August 4, 2010 11:30 PM PDT
In reply to: Installing Ubuntu

Yes, you can burn the CD image onto a DVD and it will work. I've done it before.

RAM does not require drivers, nor does your CPU, power supply or DVD drive. (well, the DVD drive just uses a standard driver like flash drives, keyboards, USB sound devices and the like).

I'd actually recommend also a basic Nvidia graphics card, such as the GT210 or GTX220. You'll get better performance than the onboard graphics, and you'll even enjoy some video decode acceleration (unlike with ATI graphics which I assume is what this motherboard comes with). Of course, if you have the budget, a mid-range or upper-range card is also good! It's just that the basic Nvidia cards are cheap and pretty good.

Nvidia's graphics drivers are years ahead of ATI's, so pick Nvidia wherever possible.

Collapse -
I'd really like a video card...
by Elljl / August 5, 2010 2:58 AM PDT
In reply to: Yes it's fine

But I just can't afford it. I already have met my limit, and I can barely also pay for a monitor, and my parents are paying for about half of it. I don't even have a keyboard! I've seen one at The Source for $20, so I may just get that. For the time being, I'm going to stick with onboard graphics, then most likely further down the road I'll get a decent video card. And I never knew the CPU and RAM didn't need drivers, I had always thought pretty much every part except the power supply and case needed drivers.

I had tried the live CD of Kubuntu on my laptop, and burned it onto a DVD, but I just wanted to make sure it would work fine.

Thanks for the insight.

Collapse -
Let's say budget is an issue.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 5, 2010 3:03 AM PDT

Since there is no gaming here why not see what is on the free area of craigslist or the even nicer Freecycle (see google.)

I've seen desktops show up aplenty on both pages and these are free. Then you load your Linux and maybe add some wifi card for 20 bucks if you need that.

This way you save your bucks for some laptop.
Bob

Collapse -
Great Idea!
by Elljl / August 5, 2010 4:20 AM PDT

I think I may look at Freecycle for a video card and wireless PCI card. Thanks for the idea, I would have never have thought of them!

Collapse -
New Hardware Configuration
by Elljl / August 3, 2010 1:03 PM PDT

Hey, I was just looking online at newegg.ca, and seen a combo deal with my motherboard, with this:

Mushkin Enhanced Silverline 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model 996768

I tried looking on the Mushkin website for drivers, but they have none. Should this work with Ubuntu as well? It's sounding like most parts will, but I just want to make sure. And also, it doesn't say on the Gigabyte website for the GA-880GA-UD3H that it supports this memory, or any other Mushkin memory. Should I be concerned about this, or does it matter? It is still DDR3 1333, just with a different PC3 number (like 6 lower), and the same cas latency as the other memory, and same voltage, 1.5V. It should still work, though, right? Thanks.

Collapse -
Yes it will work
by GODhack / August 4, 2010 12:34 AM PDT

And it is much easier to download Ubuntu CD and try out in live mode then linger around hardware manufacturer websites.
---
In Linux things are bit different than in DOS. Most drivers are integrated into kernel so none waste time with driver disks driver download pages etc. Linux kernel auto-detects your hardware and load appropriate modules at boot. All you have to do is wait a few seconds. Wink
Of course it is automation not magic, sometimes it fails, but only when this fails you should start worrying checking sites asking forums etc.

Collapse -
Try
by R_Head / August 5, 2010 7:13 AM PDT

Downloading Mandriva One, is a live distro and see how works on your new rig.

http://www2.mandriva.com/downloads/

No need to go to distrowatch to get it.

If you like it, you can load the Free version or pay for the Power Pack (that one has more commercial and proprietary drivers).

Been using it since 2000 and never looked back.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.