PC Applications forum

General discussion

U3 software

by OgByron / December 28, 2008 6:56 PM PST

Okay, today i just got an USB 16GB portable drive with U3 technology. The problem is i have no idea how to install some of the programs i have on my PC HDD. Can all programs be installed? I might be a little confused on how this works. Will I be able to run antivirus programs on my USB for another PC without installing them onto theirs? If I can, can someone explain to me how?

If there are only few software that i can run off of my USB, does anybody know about some good antivirus, antimalware or other PC utilities?

I have winXP pro
Scandisk
Thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: U3 software
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: U3 software
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Check the Demo.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / December 28, 2008 9:08 PM PST
In reply to: U3 software

I would visit the U3 web site at http://www.u3.com and watch the demo and the video.

The Demo shows how to use the U3 Start Menu to visit the U3 download site to download software,

I hope that helps.

Mark

Collapse -
A brief overview...
by John.Wilkinson / December 29, 2008 12:18 AM PST

As Mark suggested, it is best to view the demo and information posted on the manufacturer's website. To outline the functionality, though:

-> You can only install U3 and specially-designed "portable" applications if you wish to use them on any computer. Any old application you may have will install to any drive, including that flash drive, but will not work on any computer but that one.

-> Yes, you can download a U3 or otherwise portable antivirus scanner, install it to the flash drive, then run it on any computer without further installation. That's great for removing malware from computers where the user can no longer install software.

-> There are over a thousand portable applications, so you shouldn't have a problem finding useful ones from each category. Each one has 'installation' instructions, so just follow those.

-> Note that U3 applications can only run on Windows 2000/XP/Vista/7, not Windows 95/98/ME, Mac OS X, or Linux distros. You will also need to have administrative privileges on the PC you're using for some of the software to run.

John

Collapse -
Thanks guys
by OgByron / December 29, 2008 2:44 AM PST
In reply to: A brief overview...

yeah, i saw a short video when i first inserted the drive, nonetheless i totaly didnt think about visisting their site. Thanks

Just out of curiosity, will i be able to get portable application torrents and install them successfuly? Are there good antimalware or antivirus programs you can recomend? Of course that are U3 compatible.

Thanks people

Collapse -
I sincerely hope not.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / December 29, 2008 7:19 PM PST
In reply to: Thanks guys

I hope there are no U3 capable Torrent applications.

Why? Even taking ChuckT's guidance that U3 sticks are completely self contained on the USB stick, I would not want to use any P2P, (Peer to Peer), on a host computer and place it at risk of the malware infested files that are now commonly available through P2P.

Why would you do that?

As to anti-virus, I note from the U3 site that McAfee has such an application, but perhaps that site will say what other anti-malware utilities are available.

Mark

Collapse -
Simple misconception
by ChuckT / December 29, 2008 5:50 AM PST

A simple misconception is that the U3 applications are installed on your computer, they aren't!

The idea of U3 is that the applications run wholly from the USB flashdrive. No installation, or modification, of the computer you plug the flashdrive into is done. Once you unplug the U3 drive there is nothing left behind.

This U3 "installation" is just where a U3 mini-operating system is temporarily placed on your computer so that it becomes an item you click on in the (lower-right) System Tray. Once the U3 applications are made known to the U3 OS, then it is a simple click to open any of those applications. Regardless of how you get those U3 applications running, once you unplug the flashdrive, nothing is left behind.

Collapse -
somewhat confused
by OgByron / December 30, 2008 2:58 PM PST
In reply to: Simple misconception

Ok, so i got some free software from their(U3) site. Antivirus programs and many others. However, I am now faced with a very frustrating problem. Just like you said Mark! Their is now a virus on my flash drive. It is an <autorun.inf> virus.

Unfortunately I didnt read your post untill after trying to get p2p software. I installed some portable program and it has that infection(I THINK). Without knowing I had an infection, i removed it.
All of a sudden, the U3 launch pad didnt work, and Avast kept on bothering me about the <F:/autorun> BV:AutoRun-G (worm).

So I panicked and started to download free flash drive anti virus programs. I ran "flash_disinfector" which i happen to get here.
It read or I think it created a fake autorun.inf file on my flash drive to stop the spreading of my virus. I then scanned my drive with several antivirus and removal software I use for my PC and to clean other peoples PC's. So i knew they worked on a HDD, didnt think it would work on a universal bus drive.

As a result, i got rid of the infection. I removed like 3 or 4 infections from my U3 smart drive but i cannot delete some files from it now. It now launches the pad like normal and Avast stopped all the warnings.

However I cannot delete folder <autorun.inf> that contains a file named <lpt3>. It also sais it was created by flas_disinfector.

When I try to delete it it sais:
Cannot delete lpt3. This folder was created by Flash_Disinfector: cannot find the specified file. Make sureyou specify the correct path anf file name.

I guess i could just format the drive, and reinstall U3 software to it. It is going to be a hassal for me to format the 9GB i have on it. So I would really appreciate another method or advice on what to do.

Thank You

(aside from the little trouble it would be for me to format the USB, i really enjoy learning all i can about computers and its parts. I like to find all methods to solving the many problems a PC can give.

Collapse -
I don't know U3,
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / December 30, 2008 6:53 PM PST
In reply to: somewhat confused

and I have never hear of Flash_Disinfector, so I fear I can be of little help.

However, searching Google for Flash_Disinfector, I came across a forum discussion at TheElderGeek.com;
http://www.theeldergeek.com/forum/index.php?act=Print&client=printer&f=22&t=27815

One of the posts explained how to use Flash_Disinfector, and included this;

"Note: Flash_Disinfector will create a hidden folder named autorun.inf in each partition and every USB drive that is plugged in when you ran it. Don't delete this folder...it will help protect your drives from future infection.".

So, I would leave that folder and file alone.

I hope that helps.

Mark

Collapse -
guess so
by OgByron / December 30, 2008 7:38 PM PST
In reply to: I don't know U3,

yeah, i am somewhat knew at everything. I guess it is not really bothering me. So i will just leave it alone.

Thanks for the help.

by the way, may i ask you(Mark) what part of the world youre from?
(timezone)

Collapse -
UK here.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / December 30, 2008 8:28 PM PST
In reply to: guess so

A small city called Derby in the center of the country. GMT and it is 12:30pm, (just after midday), as I post this.

It's cold, cloudy, miserable, and I want to move to the Bahamas, or Florida, or somewhere near the Equator would do, Happy

Mark

Collapse -
Cool/Help please!
by OgByron / December 30, 2008 10:40 PM PST
In reply to: UK here.

This may sound bizzare, but i need to disinfect my flash drive and possibly my HDD. I thought i did, but as i unpluged and pluged it back in, Avast did it again. It sais it has some sort of BV worm/tojan and asks me if i want to delete it. I put yes, but then it sais it cant.

Would there be any way for you(Mark) and i to start a seperate chat or IM? Well, if you can. I am really starting to worry, because I ran out of programs to use. See, i usualy fix and clean all of my friends/relatives computers with like 4 different programs. Now I am faced with a new problem i have never dealt with or seen before. I scanned the drive with all of my programs and they keep on deleting files, but they dont remove it completley

Perhaps i can get help from a more experienced person. If you will be willing, please let me know asap. maybe a yahoo chat, msn, windows live or somethin.

Thanks
Here, in CA, it is around 6:00am, and i have been trying to fix this problem since 9pm last night!

Collapse -
False Positives.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / December 31, 2008 4:14 AM PST
In reply to: Cool/Help please!

I suspect that's a False Positive from Avast. That link I gave you about the Flash_Disinfector also mentioned about anti-malware utilities reporting false positives, so what I think has happened is that the Flash_Disinfector has created a file to protect the USB drive but which looks like a virus.

My guess is that this alert isn't a virus, but is a false positive.

However, if you are concerned about it, then you may want to reconsider what you said earlier about reformatting the drive and starting again. Maybe also, not using Flash_Disinfector again. You said the USB drive was recently acquired by you, so reformatting and starting again perhaps would not be a great loss.

I can't help you with IM's unfortunately. I don't use them myself, and the helpers here, Moderators and other regulars alike, tend to prefer to keep the discussions within these forums.

There is another alternative. If that alert worries you, head over to our Spyware, viruses, & security forum and post a question there. They have more expertise in malware detection and removal.

Good luck.

Mark

Collapse -
Okay, thanks
by OgByron / December 31, 2008 4:17 AM PST
In reply to: False Positives.

sounds like a good idea. I will inform you when i solve this prob!

thanks

Collapse -
Finaly!!!
by OgByron / December 31, 2008 10:07 AM PST
In reply to: False Positives.

So after running various scans WITH my U3 drive plugged in, i couldnt disinfect anything. However, after getting tired of so many avast warnings, i decided to unplug the drive. I then ran 1 avst scan and it said it deleted 3 autorun.inf infections! I was not content untill i plugged in my drive and nothing happened! All my files were there and I scanned it again with ad aware and malwarebytes. Nothing found.

thank you people for your support! couldnt of done it without you!

Collapse -
Ahh, excellent.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / December 31, 2008 7:10 PM PST
In reply to: Finaly!!!

Good work, and thanks for reporting back.

Mark

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!