Speakeasy forum

General discussion

U.S. Vets Make Case for Kerry in Vietnam

Vietnam veterans supporting John Kerry for president made their case Friday in the heart of what was once enemy territory.

Calling President Bush a draft dodger, the veterans in Hanoi donned T-shirts emblazoned with ``Americans Overseas for Kerry'' and showing Bush's face with a line crossed through it.

They said they share a brotherhood with Kerry, who was wounded in Vietnam's southern Mekong Delta and received three Purple Hearts, a Bronze Star and a Silver Star.

http://tinyurl.com/4kyn8

http://cnn.netscape.cnn.com/ns/news/story.jsp?flok=FF-APO-1131&idq=/ff/story/0001%2F20040820%2F1413182649.htm&sc=1131

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: U.S. Vets Make Case for Kerry in Vietnam
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: U.S. Vets Make Case for Kerry in Vietnam
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
6 of one, half a dozen of the other?

In reply to: U.S. Vets Make Case for Kerry in Vietnam

http://www.cnsnews.com/ViewPolitics.asp?Page=/Politics/archive/200408/POL20040820c.html

The Bush campaign has suggested that Sen. John Kerry join President Bush in calling off the dogs -- those "shadowy" 527 groups that run ads for and against Bush and Kerry.

The liberal group MoveOn.org and the anti-Kerry group Swift Boat Veterans for Truth are both 527s, named after a section of the tax code.

But on Friday, a spokeswoman for the Kerry campaign backed away from the suggestion. She said what MoveOn.org is doing is perfectly fine, while what the Swift Boat Veterans are doing is "dishonest" and "dishonorable."

Debra Deshong of the Kerry campaign told Fox News there's a difference between MoveOn.org and Swift Boat Veterans for Truth: "MoveOn.org is an independent organization that existed well before the Kerry campaign," she said, whereas Swift Boat Veterans for Truth "is not an independent group."

http://www.cnsnews.com/ViewPolitics.asp?Page=/Politics/archive/200408/POL20040820b.html

John O'Neill, the co-author of Unfit for Command, a book disputing John Kerry's Vietnam War record, told Fox News on Friday that Swift Boat Veterans for Truth would "never" pull the TV ad that has so offended the Kerry campaign -- even if President Bush asked them to do so.

"There's not a chance," O'Neill told Fox & Friends. "We'd say, 'Forget it.' You see, for us, this is our experience in Vietnam. We lost 51 people there -- there were 15 of them or so killed while I was there. It's deeply personal. And this guy (Kerry) lied about all of us, and then he lied about his own experience there - he passed through in a short period of time. And we have a real obligation to the American people."

www.bulletinnews.com

Meanwhile, former swift boat commander Larry Thurlow, whose credibility was called into question by a Washington Post story yesterday, repeated his charges against Kerry on CNN's Inside Politics and Fox News' The O'Reilly Factor, where he said, "I haven't seen a copy of my citation for over 30 years, but it says in there twice...that I was under intense enemy fire during the operation on the through boat. The fact of the matter is we received no fire on that day from the enemy on the bank."
Collapse -
Strictly off the top of my head and feel free to flame me..

In reply to: 6 of one, half a dozen of the other?

but I don't think GWB would have been sent to The Nam even if he demanded to go,it was out of his hands and the hands of his father!!

During that time as I recall,GB SR. was Director of The CIA.

I seriously doubt if the government would have allowed the son of the CIA director to be put in a position where,as a pilot he could have been captured.

"Three Purple Hearts, a Bronze Star and a Silver Star"????????? Maybe I'll chug-a-lug a bottle of Ipecac and produce the same result.

Later,Tony V.V.A.K.

Collapse -
No flames, Tony,...

In reply to: Strictly off the top of my head and feel free to flame me..

...but just to be fair, it didn't bother the Navy one bit to send John McCain to SEA while his dad was still serving as a senior admiral. I doubt that would have really mattered had the USAF decided that W was needed in theater...

Collapse -
Re: 6 of one, half a dozen of the other?

In reply to: 6 of one, half a dozen of the other?

How did the navy react 30 years ago when he refused to accept the commendation?

Dan

Collapse -
Considering Kerry's support of Vietnam...

both during and after the war this isn't too surprising considering that ALL of them are businessmen making their livings in Vietnam.

I doubt that this group of four or five worries anyone much.

Regarding the last paragraph and searching for missing Americans wonder why this interpreter didn't mention how Kerry praised the Vietnamese and told them he was convinced they were holding none and had turned over all remains. As Chairman of the Senate Select Committee on POW/MIA Affairs and after a trip to Vietnam Kerry and his committee determined in a 500-page final report that American POWs were left alive in Vietnam after the war but felt none were still alive. It made no attempt to identify those left behind, how they died, who killed them or where their remains might be located.

Kerry has been very supportive of the Communist government of Vietnam since 1969 and continues to be supportive of them as this tidbit (which might interest you) shows:
http://www.gb4hr.net/Pages/Kerry%20Stalls%20Human%20Rights%20Legislation.htm

Just another reason he is honored for helping North Vietnam win in Vietnam--he just keeps helping.

Wonder too if any of those four of five Vets have noticed that while Kerry spent 8 years on the Senate Intelligence Committee or that he missed 76 percent of the public committee meetings during those years. The few times when he did show up, he was anything but an advocate for our nation's intelligence gathering abilities. Kerry's idea seems to be to make things easy for the enemy whoever that enemy may be.

Collapse -
I've heard that Kerry has an honored place in Hanoi,

and, I'm guessing, is thought to be a hero there. Could there be a connection between that and what these guys are there for? Strikes me as a poor place to demonstrate for Kerry. Pretty soon we'll be calling him Hanoi John.

Are you sure this isn't a sly Republican operation?

Collapse -
Re: U.S. Vets Make Case for Kerry in Vietnam

All John Kerry did was serve his country with honor and distinction. Now we have this small group of men, most of whom did not serve with Kerry,trying to smear a truly honorable man. He could of hid in the National Guard like Bush. I'll take John Kerry over "little georgie" any day of the week.

Collapse -
You're right!

In reply to: Re: U.S. Vets Make Case for Kerry in Vietnam

But many here will share your respect for combat vets, sadly.

Welcome to Speakeasy!

Dan

Collapse -
Re: spoken like someone who doesn't!!

In reply to: You're right!

#many here will share your respect for combat vets, sadly#

Collapse -
I see, as an offhand remark, you smear Bush while

condemning those who smear Kerry. Isn't that kind of hypocritical?

BTW, 'serve with Kerry' is known to be a DNC play on words. You apparently mean they were not in his crew. They DID 'serve with Kerry' as the military uses the term. They were on other boats and observed Kerry in action.

Collapse -
Re: U.S. Vets Make Case for Kerry in Vietnam

How many names you operate under now?

EVERY ONE served with Kerry despite the DNC and Kerry claims and all in the ad are pictured with Kerry in a unti photo of the Officers. Kind of difficult to claim they didn't serve with him when several are mentioned in the same AARs he has posted on his site.

Collapse -
You're right! (without the typo, Jonah)

But many here will not share your respect for combat vets, sadly.

Welcome to Speakeasy!

Dan

Collapse -
I'll take John Kerry over "little georgie" any day

I will also, although for more reasons than former war records.

The present is enough to convince me.

Collapse -
Not an issue of heroism vs. cowardice

All veterans who served in Vietnam ?gave some,? including John Kerry. There were only 58,000 true American heroes in Vietnam. Those are the 58,000 who ?gave all.?

The Kerry Vietnam issue is not one of heroism vs. cowardice, but rather his demonstrated values and traits. What character trait led him to game the military system so he could leave Vietnam eight months early, take a cushy Admiral?s Aide job and then go on to actively work at betraying and dishonoring the service of the 58,000 ?Band of Brothers [and Sisters]? who also left Vietnam early, but never returned home.

I recently viewed the Kerry mini-movie ?war videos? being carried on the Kerry-Edwards web site. Some facts offered in them? ring hollow. The video entitled ?Under Fire: Band of Brothers on John Kerry? is an example. Ignore that for someone to win three purple Hearts in just three months, without ending up either dead or disabled in the process, must be some kind of record. For Kerry to get his three (3) Purple Heart awards he had to be combat wounded three (3) times. In the Kerry ?Under Fire? video ?Swiftee? shipmate James Wasser says, in talking about his time serving under Kerry, ?We only had one (1) man wounded and never lost a man.? Did shipmate Wasser deem the three (3) combat wounds that ?Skipper? Kerry reported between December 1968 and March 1969 not worthy of noting?

A final thought. How did Navy ?Newbie? Lieutenant (Junior Grade) John Forbes Kerry know about the obscure, little known and little used Military Regulation he employed to ?Boston lawyer? his way out of Vietnam combat duty eight months early, and then be detailed directly into an Admiral?s Aide job? LT(jg) Kerry must have been the ?Swiftee? Officer equivalent of Sgt. Bilko or possibly the Yalee ?ring knocking? equivalent of that other famous Bonesman.

The 2004 Election is a Hobson?s Choice.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GRAMMYS 2019

Here's Everything to Know About the 2019 Grammys

Find out how to watch the Grammy Awards if you don't have cable and more.