Speakeasy forum

General discussion

U.S. lawmakers order agency to study fencing along Canada-U.

by Mark5019 / September 15, 2006 9:35 AM PDT

WASHINGTON - It's the border-security idea that just won't die.

Despite emphatic White House opposition, the U.S. House of Representatives on Thursday resurrected legislation to consider security fencing along the Canada-U.S. border.

In a 281 to 138 vote, the Republican-dominated House passed the Secure Fence Act instructing the Department of Homeland Security to study the feasibility of ''the construction of a state-of-the-art barrier system along the northern international land and maritime border of the United States.''

The measure was included in the new border-security bill on the recommendation of members of the House Armed Services Committee, which held hearings this summer at the Canada-U.S. border and reported serious concerns about drug trafficking and terrorist infiltration.

The legislation also instructs Homeland Security to take all actions necessary to ''achieve and maintain operational control over the entire international and land maritime borders'' by increasing the use of unmanned aerial vehicles, ground-based sensors, satellites and cameras.

The construction of a physical barrier along the Canadian border ''is very much needed,'' said Rep. Candice Miller, a Michigan Republican whose district borders southwestern Ontario and parts of Lake Huron.

''Every day smugglers are bringing drugs, people and other contraband across our northern borders, which is met with little or no resistance,'' Miller said during heated debate Thursday on the legislation. ''Terror cells that have been rounded up in Toronto, which is literally only a three-hour drive from my district.''

The fence proposal included in this latest border-security bill was almost identical to measures in broader immigration legislation passed almost a year ago by the House. It proposed studying the need for a ''physical barrier'' along the Canadian border.

But that legislation - much to the relief of Canadian government officials - was shelved because of sharp disagreements with the Senate over the larger question of illegal immigration from Mexico.

works for me as we need to secure all boarders!

http://www.canada.com/nationalpost/news/story.html?id=1a4bd137-9e7c-4a78-8b7b-686959bf7c01&k=36856

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: U.S. lawmakers order agency to study fencing along Canada-U.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: U.S. lawmakers order agency to study fencing along Canada-U.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Reply to: U.S. lawmakers order agency to study fencing...
by caktus / September 15, 2006 9:56 AM PDT

I think for now they should be more concerned with security at the US, Mexican border. US and Canada seem to be working together well on border security.

Collapse -
I wish they would
by JP Bill / September 15, 2006 1:07 PM PDT

And I want it made out of 2 x 4 wood, and the wood MUST be purchased from Canada.

Collapse -
we will use american steel
by Mark5019 / September 16, 2006 1:24 AM PDT
In reply to: I wish they would

as wood burns to easy

and it can be electric

Collapse -
and it can be electric
by JP Bill / September 16, 2006 1:28 AM PDT

Good, you can buy the power from Canada.

OR

If you want to generate your own electricity, you can buy the oil from Canada, to run your power plants.

Collapse -
niagra falls seems to come to mind
by Mark5019 / September 16, 2006 1:34 AM PDT
In reply to: and it can be electric

start walking jp

Collapse -
Much of the fencing is big open rectangle fencing,
by Ziks511 / September 15, 2006 5:07 PM PDT

good as a farm boundary marker and to keep the cattle in so long as you have good posts and ride the fence lines regularly, and until recently more than good enough for amicable US-Canadian relations. I suppose we should revisit this issue in the light of terrorism, and gun importation, though I hope it isn't done in the manner of the US-Mexican border which has proved pourous at best (some of the highjackers came in via Mexico on false passports or so I understand). Its a great pity though that amicable relations and the longest undefended border should go the way of the dodo just because of a tiny minority's hate-filled and hate-motivated behavior.

Rob

Collapse -
well rob when canada
by Mark5019 / September 16, 2006 1:25 AM PDT

takes charge ans stops appeasment programs then you might be safer

Collapse -
Yeah,
by John Robie / September 16, 2006 12:29 AM PDT

believe that Canadian fence is just a renewed study tacked on to the House approve bill from yesterday on the 700 mile fence of the Mexican border.

http://blogs.usatoday.com/ondeadline/2006/09/immigration_new.html

There is already a small fence near the North Dakota & Canadian border: Happy

http://www.canada.com/topics/news/national/story.html?id=ae6f9f23-35f2-4293-ab4c-4386b90190aa&k=39045

Believe the previous Senate bill was for a 350 mile US/Mexican fence. Jay Leno made a joke last night something in the order of ....Duh! 700 mile fence on the 2000 miles of Mexican border?

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?