Speakeasy forum

General discussion

U.S. aircraft on watch along U.S.-Canada border

by Mark5019 / October 16, 2006 11:53 PM PDT

GREAT FALLS, Mont. - Blackhawk helicopters and interceptor jets have begun patrolling Montana airspace along the U.S.-Canada border, and American officials say unmanned drones could be deployed as early as next year.

But the U.S. is playing down the new security measure, claiming it has little to do with Canadians but more to do with the threat of terrorists using Canada as a staging point for attacks in America.

And they say that as long as the terrorist threat exists, border security will continue to be a high priority.

On Monday, the U.S Department of Homeland Security officially opened its Customs and Border Protection air facility in Great Falls, Mont. - the third of five air wings to be set up along the Canada-U.S. border.

Equipped with two Blackhawk helicopters, two Citation jet interceptors and one Pilatus surveillance plane, the detachment is responsible for 800 kilometres of land border with Canada. Similar facilities are up and running in Bellingham, Wash., and Plattsburg, N.Y. Two more are planned, in Detroit and Grand Forks, N.D.

"You have to have some visibility of physical support, and I think our enemies have to understand that, too,'' said Senator Conrad Burns, one of Montana's two Republican senators. "We have real eyes, real ears, in our effort to protect the integrity of our border.''

The air wing, which employs 52 people, will fight drug smuggling, human trafficking and gun running, and could also help in rescues and natural disasters on both sides of the border.

However, their top priority is fighting terrorism, and in particular, the threat of terrorists coming illegally into the U.S. from Canada.

http://www.canada.com/nationalpost/news/story.html?id=83ed3cf5-b413-4bcb-9ec6-8f5d0d8e93fd&k=52497

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: U.S. aircraft on watch along U.S.-Canada border
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: U.S. aircraft on watch along U.S.-Canada border
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Good for them
by JP Bill / October 17, 2006 12:13 AM PDT
Collapse -
I saw an item on the news
by Dragon / October 17, 2006 12:27 AM PDT
In reply to: Good for them

about how we weren't sure exactly where the border was. There are markers along the border, and people are now looking for them.

Collapse -
Ah yes,
by duckman / October 17, 2006 12:39 AM PDT

very subtle but it would seem King George is attempting to either illegally invade Canada or to steal land for a northern ranch to hide like the coward he is from former Nobel Peace Prize candidate Cindi Sheehan

Collapse -
Look further north.
by Kiddpeat / October 17, 2006 1:12 AM PDT

Think liberation!

Devil

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Good time for 54
by duckman / October 17, 2006 1:16 AM PDT
In reply to: Look further north.
Collapse -
think again
by Mark5019 / October 17, 2006 12:32 AM PDT
In reply to: Good for them
Collapse -
Excuse me
by JP Bill / October 17, 2006 12:56 AM PDT
In reply to: think again

I thought your original post was about the US/Canada border.

Collapse -
you made a statement
by Mark5019 / October 17, 2006 1:00 AM PDT
In reply to: Excuse me

that they havent done anything
as you were wrong
and if i read my other reads they just started maybe on canadian boarder

Collapse -
you were wrong
by JP Bill / October 17, 2006 1:47 AM PDT
In reply to: you made a statement

That's right I was wrong,you were right, they did so something.

He chased a kitty back across the border

Minutemen watch U.S.-Canada border

BLAINE ? Civilian volunteer Mark Forest of Oregon took a week off from work, left his wife and five kids at home in Salem and drove north to stand guard near here as a Minuteman at the U.S.-Canada border.

Yesterday, though, among the thicket of trees that surrounded Forest and separated him from Canada, there was little activity, save for a startled black cat that darted from the bushes, spotted Forest and quickly retreated.

"Forest surrounded by trees"

Ya get it?

and if i read my other reads they just started maybe on canadian boarder

I suggest you do more research, this story is from 2005

Collapse -
and
by Mark5019 / October 17, 2006 3:11 AM PDT
In reply to: you were wrong

Kerry Williamson, CanWest News Service; Calgary Herald
Published: Tuesday, October 17, 2006
was today what my original post was about

and as i recall there was the case of canadian guards abandoneing there posts when they got a report of armed fugitives heading there way.

so all in all its good were watching the boarder

Collapse -
were watching the boarder
by JP Bill / October 17, 2006 3:21 AM PDT
In reply to: and
and as i recall there was the case of canadian guards abandoneing there posts when they got a report of armed fugitives heading there way.

If you would keep/capture your crooks/killers BEFORE they get to the CANADIAN border (in Canada) Canada would be better off.

Do we have to do your work?

They're your problem, take care of them.
Collapse -
well as we all know
by Mark5019 / October 17, 2006 3:35 AM PDT

why they head for canada dont we:)

Collapse -
why they head for canada dont we
by JP Bill / October 17, 2006 3:56 AM PDT
In reply to: well as we all know

I've got a good idea why.

As long as you don't have to take care of them, you don't care if they escape, let some other country be bothered by them.

Collapse -
well jp
by Mark5019 / October 17, 2006 3:59 AM PDT

whos fault is that?
canada welcomed all the chicken chit draft dodgers seems to me canada is wellcomeing the dregs so as long as you want them we want to make sure they stay there, as your country seems to attract people who want to be appeased

Collapse -
I'm waiting
by JP Bill / October 17, 2006 4:02 AM PDT
In reply to: well jp

for your response on wmd.

Collapse -
well jp you seem to for get the kurds dont you
by Mark5019 / October 17, 2006 4:11 AM PDT
In reply to: I'm waiting

or do you consider poisen gas not a weapon?
remember it kills mass amounts of people, and i guess all the other countries were wrong including the UN!

WASHINGTON ? The United States has found 500 chemical weapons in Iraq since 2003, and more weapons of mass destruction are likely to be uncovered, two Republican lawmakers said Wednesday.

"We have found weapons of mass destruction in Iraq, chemical weapons," Sen. Rick Santorum, R-Pa., said in a quickly called press conference late Wednesday afternoon.

Reading from a declassified portion of a report by the National Ground Intelligence Center, a Defense Department intelligence unit, Santorum said: "Since 2003, coalition forces have recovered approximately 500 weapons munitions which contain degraded mustard or sarin nerve agent. Despite many efforts to locate and destroy Iraq's pre-Gulf War chemical munitions, filled and unfilled pre-Gulf War chemical munitions are assessed to still exist."

? Click here to read the declassified portion of the NGIC report.

He added that the report warns about the hazards that the chemical weapons could still pose to coalition troops in Iraq.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,200499,00.html

Collapse -
You guys want all the deserters and draft dodgers up there.
by Kiddpeat / October 17, 2006 7:18 AM PDT

Now you want an extrance exam?

Collapse -
LOL
by ice_bear_joe / October 17, 2006 5:43 AM PDT

JP Bill and Mark at it again.
Reminds me of a picture I seen years ago of 2 little boys standing by the side of a house with their d icks out seeing who could leave their mark the highest.

Collapse -
;););););)
by JP Bill / October 17, 2006 5:53 AM PDT
In reply to: LOL

dm.kp an edH were working yesterday

Collapse -
well as you can see
by Mark5019 / October 17, 2006 5:57 AM PDT
In reply to: LOL

i wasnt the troll but then again your buddy is being his usual trollish self glad he has a frind like you

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.