Speakeasy forum

General discussion

U.S. aid to N. Korea 'not enough'

by Mark5019 / June 22, 2005 12:37 PM PDT

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- The United States said Wednesday it would provide 50,000 tonnes of food aid to North Korea, but the World Food Program said it was not enough to meet the "desperate" need of the North Korean people.

U.S. Deputy State Department spokesman Adam Ereli said the pledge was made in response to a WFP appeal as a humanitarian gesture unrelated to efforts to restart stalled six-party talks aimed at ending North Korea's nuclear program.

"Our decisions are made on humanitarian considerations solely," he said, adding the amount was determined after a review of the need in North Korea, competing needs around the world and the ability of humanitarian organizations to monitor the assistance.

In an exclusive interview with CNN, WFP Asia Director Anthony Banbury called the donation "an important contribution but it is not enough."

and were bad huh wheres the rest of the world geesh

http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/06/22/nkorea.foodaid/index.html

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: U.S. aid to N. Korea 'not enough'
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: U.S. aid to N. Korea 'not enough'
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Response
by JP Bill / June 22, 2005 1:37 PM PDT
US pledges food aid to North Korea

Japan was the largest donor to North Korea through the WFP last year, followed by South Korea and the US. China is the single largest supplier of food, but contributes directly.

N.Koreans starving for global food aid, May 29, 2005

This year, the WFP has only received 15,000 tons of the 504,000 tons of food it needs annually for North Korea. Food donations came from Canada and Finland, while Norway donated $800,000, he told reporters in Seoul on Friday.

The United States, which provided 100,000 tons of food in 2003 and 50,000 tons in 2004, has not donated this year, Mr. Banbury said. Some donor nations have mentioned their concern over North Korea's stated possession of nuclear weapons, he said.
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) oh well let others feed the 3rd world
by Mark5019 / June 22, 2005 1:40 PM PDT
In reply to: Response
Collapse -
Doesnt matter how much Japan gave
by Dragon / June 23, 2005 10:47 PM PDT

compared to us. Im sure we are giving more than they are, if you count other countries. Plus they dont have any military to speak of. That tends to take a bite out any economy.

Collapse -
My response
by JP Bill / June 23, 2005 11:44 PM PDT

was in response to Mark's question

and were bad huh wheres the rest of the world geesh

just showing some of the other countries that contributed.

Collapse -
show some why not all?
by Mark5019 / June 23, 2005 11:50 PM PDT
In reply to: My response

seems little funny huh.

Collapse -
Well
by JP Bill / June 23, 2005 11:59 PM PDT
In reply to: show some why not all?

If you and I were rulers over every country in the world, every country would be donating.

But as Dragon said

Some countries have a military and other priorities to pay for.

Collapse -
And you don't think the USA does?
by TONI H / June 24, 2005 12:36 AM PDT
In reply to: Well

No matter how much we spend to help other countries, we are always bad-mouthed anyhow and either called a superpower trying to throw our weight around or cheap SOB's who don't give enough.

Doncha think it's time we started pulling back and taking care of our own for a change, including removing support for the UN, and let other countries either figure it out or cry louder to the UN who has basically ignored all but a few? After all, the UN has NEVER encouraged other countries to come to OUR aid when we've needed it.

They already think we're the bad guys so matter what we do, so why should we keep trying to show other countries that we aren't (they don't think we're the bad guys when they have their hands out...until they figure what we give is not enough) and instead use that money for our own people? If we don't start caring about our own, it's been obvious the rest of the world won't.

TONI

Collapse -
Since you mentioned
by JP Bill / June 24, 2005 12:53 AM PDT
They already think we're the bad guys so matter what we do,

Canadians' view of U.S. dimmer

WASHINGTON (CP) - Canadians are becoming even more negative about the United States and Americans, viewing them as ''rude, greedy and violent,'' suggests a survey released Thursday by the Pew Research Center.

And while a majority of Canadians agreed Americans are inventive and hardworking, less than half called them honest, said the poll, which charted some minor improvements in a major global image problem that spiked after President George W. Bush's invasion of Iraq in 2003.

But the survey, conducted among nearly 17,000 people this spring in the United States and 15 other countries, suggested America remains ''broadly disliked'' in 10 of them and regard for Americans is going down, said Pew director Andrew Kohut.

Your question was

And you don't think the USA does?

I didn't say that, and the US does a lot and I also think that if North Korea was more cooperative it would receive more food aid from the US.
Collapse -
Who the HELL CARES that we've lost
by TONI H / June 24, 2005 1:18 AM PDT
In reply to: Since you mentioned

the admiration of Canada????????? When Canada steps up to the plate and does even a FOURTH of the good that the USA does in this world, come back and talk to me. Otherwise, salute my .......

N. Korea with the insane bloodthirsty jerk they have as a leader will NEVER COOPERATE under any circumstances with the USA.....why should we help them?

TONI

Collapse -
Response
by JP Bill / June 24, 2005 1:57 AM PDT
When Canada steps up to the plate and does even a FOURTH of the good that the USA does in this world

You want a country with 10% of the population of the US to do 25 % of "the good that the USA does in this world"

But the survey, conducted among nearly 17,000 people this spring in the United States and 15 other countries, suggested America remains "broadly disliked" in 10 of them and regard for Americans is going down, said Pew director Andrew Kohut

I don't know if this means Americans are concerned about their image around the world but it does show that they realize there might be a problem.

Americans seem to know all about their public relations crisis. Only 24 per cent reported thinking their country is well-liked around the world.

why should we help them?

So they won't use a nuclear bomb?
Collapse -
Again, WHO CARES
by TONI H / June 24, 2005 2:13 AM PDT

Do the math.....if Canada, based on its population did one FOURTH of what the USA does for the world, based on OUR population, come back and talk to me. Otherwise, keep your smugness across the border.

Tell me where the rest of the world was when our country needed aid after 9-11, the San Francisco earthquake, the hurricanes in Florida, Louisiana, NC, Georgia, Alabama, and Texas, tornadoes that wiped out Xenia, Ohio literally, and all other disasters we have had........and include Canada in that list, please.

The countries who 'think less of us' are normally the first ones with their hands out when they are in need of ANY kind. How many of them have actually turned down the aid when they discovered it came from the USA.....other than N. Korea who has insanity at the helm anyhow, but now wants it and wants more. Trust me......N.Korea has NO desire to strike the USA with any nuclear weapons and won't. They 'might' attack another country....but they really will NOT screw with us. Even that whacked out leader knows better, and we DON'T have to bribe him with goodies when he cares less about his own people.

I'm inclined to let Canada send billions to him instead, and we'll keep ours here.

Lemme ask you something......even if Canada doesn't like us, does that mean your country would be willing to take a stand and refuse to allow USA citizens in as tourists and lose all that ready cash? Will Canada be stupid enough to stop trading with the USA to prove a point? Politics make strange bed-fellows and when money is involved, everybody is best friends, no matter what you think of on a personal level. How many mom and pop companies that are near the border of USA and depends on OUR money will thumb their noses at that cash in order to make a point about how much they don't like us?

Get real.........The only problem the citizens of the USA have is people like you bitching and moaning about everything to do with the USA and yet taking our money when it's convenient (or asking for military help when they need it).

TONI

Collapse -
Response
by JP Bill / June 24, 2005 4:17 AM PDT
In reply to: Again, WHO CARES

You asked me

Lemme ask you something......even if Canada doesn't like us, does that mean your country would be willing to take a stand and refuse to allow USA citizens in as tourists and lose all that ready cash? Will Canada be stupid enough to stop trading with the USA to prove a point? Politics make strange bed-fellows and when money is involved, everybody is best friends, no matter what you think of on a personal level. How many mom and pop companies that are near the border of USA and depends on OUR money will thumb their noses at that cash in order to make a point about how much they don't like us?

I ask you

Lemme ask you something......even if USA doesn't like us, does that mean your country would be willing to take a stand and refuse to allow Canadian citizens in as tourists and lose all that ready cash? Will USA be stupid enough to stop trading with the Canada to prove a point? Politics make strange bed-fellows and when money is involved, everybody is best friends, no matter what you think of on a personal level. How many mom and pop companies that are near the border of Canada and depends on OUR money will thumb their noses at that cash in order to make a point about how much they don't like us?

I think that my answers to your questions would be the same as your answers to my questions.

and we DON'T have to bribe him with goodies

The US was giving North Korea a deal on coal so they wouldn't get involved in nuclear power which would've (and did) get them involved in nuclear weapons.

Canadian Red Cross Volunteers Assist in Hurricane Relief in US

Hydro One Helps Florida Power

Many parts of Canada sent power crews to help in restoring power after the hurricanes

And speaking of electrical power distribution systems, It seems that every time there is a ''stiff breeze'' in certain parts of the US, poles are down, towers are down and power is out. I'm not talking about hurricane force winds.

Collapse -
Excuse me?????
by TONI H / June 24, 2005 4:29 AM PDT

>>>>The US was giving North Korea a deal on coal so they wouldn't get involved in nuclear power which would've (and did) get them involved in nuclear weapons.>>>>>

This makes no sense the way it's worded. Please expound how giving NK a deal on coal stopped them from developing nuclear anything? And you are suggesting that we 'help' them again and trust them to be good?

Is the Canadian Red Cross a government agency there? I'm interested in knowing what your COUNTRY did to help us with various disasters I mentioned, not a couple of isolated one time instances. There was a helluva lot more help people could have used than just get their electricity back up and running and the various States of the USA actually contributed alot more to help our own than Canada did.....or any OTHER country. Why wasn't help given in other areas that would have helped, such as rescue teams, supplying trailers for those without homes to live in (we did that), food, water, clothes, construction and road crews in various states other than just Florida.

Of COURSE Canada and the USA wouldn't stop money and trade from being exchanged.......BUT you will find that if Canada had a catastrophe occur, the USA would be right in there immediately helping. You can NOT say the same....which is why I say to you WHO CARES IF CANADA DOESN'T LIKE US. The difference between our countries' attitudes is that EVEN IF WE DON'T LIKE YOU, WE WOULD HELP YOU.....and you would take that help. In Canada's case, the majority of the time, they turn deaf, dumb, and blind when it comes to helping US....on just about every level.

TONI

Collapse -
and when you need help
by Mark5019 / June 24, 2005 5:15 AM PDT

ask france, russia, and germany

Collapse -
and
by Mark5019 / June 24, 2005 2:17 AM PDT

when canadas acts just like france, germany and russia who cares about candians opinions?

Collapse -
So you yield to...
by caktus / June 24, 2005 4:31 AM PDT

threats, much less empty threats. Go hide under your bed if you want.

Collapse -
That is nothing new, JP !
by Angeline Booher / June 24, 2005 2:29 AM PDT

.... that in my memory, polls have shown that the USA has been disliked for a long, long time.

The exception was after 9/11 for a while, but even then, some thought we got our "comeuppance".

Cuban exile friends said that when Castro took power, the first thing people on the streets did was attack Coca-Cola signs, tear them down, etc.

Some South American countries felt "exploited" by us, hence JFK's initiative attempt there. Remember when Nixon's motorcade was attacked in South Africa?

We have not often been very popular world wide. There have been many demonstrations against us in "friendly" countries for decades/

Thus the poll you cited is not surprising.

Angeline
Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email
semods4@yahoo.com

Collapse -
Re: Pew Research Center
by MarciaB / June 24, 2005 3:24 AM PDT

Did a bit (meaning I didn't spend a HUGE amount of time on it ;)) of looking at PRC. I am not an expert by any means in the fields of research and statistics, BUT, I'm not so sure this group is totally on the up-and-up in regard to reliable use for backing up a claim of anything for (not alot there) or against (TONS there) the United States and/or Americans.
PRC ''About us'' page:
http://people-press.org/about/

What caught my eye in this particular survey was the numbers in general: (...)conducted among nearly 17,000 people this spring in the United States and 15 other countries(...) Just thinking right off the top of my little pointy head, ''nearly 17,000'' people out of a world population of ''nearly 7,000,000,000'' seems to be a rather small - actually an extremely small - sample.
**the world pop. estimate was retrieved from**:
http://www.cia.gov/cia/publications/factbook/fields/2119.html

The full PRC report:
http://pewglobal.org/reports/display.php?ReportID=247

Just some thoughts about it. I took just barely enough stats. and research studies in college to realize that any survey can convey a rather twisted/skewed view of what is being looked at depending on the methods and reporting of such data.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) So, why doesn't Canada make up the difference?
by Kiddpeat / June 24, 2005 2:28 AM PDT
In reply to: Well
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) So, we don't OWE them anything.
by C1ay / June 23, 2005 10:58 PM PDT
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Maybe nukes are edible...
by C1ay / June 22, 2005 1:47 PM PDT
Collapse -
Of course it's not enough !
by Angeline Booher / June 24, 2005 12:35 AM PDT

Tons and tons and even more would not be enough. Hunger is rampant in N. Korea.

And I have heard little, if any evidence, that the government there is doing much, if anything, to solve it.

I could be wrong, but didn't they refuse help we offered in the recent past?

There are hungry people in African countries, as well, due to drought and civil wars. We and the rest of the industrialized world have sent much help to those in famine there. Then we read of rebels intercepting the trucks and confiscating the food for themselves.

Angeline
Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email
semods4@yahoo.com

Collapse -
Here's a thought on North Korea...
by caktus / June 24, 2005 4:19 AM PDT

Until they decide to be part of the free world,
scrooo-em.

They can't even feed thier soldiers. Why should we pay any mind to thier threats to nuke the world. If they expect us to work with them, they should first work with us.

We should, in a sense be dealing with them the way Reagan dealt with the Soviet Union. He knew they were broke and he used that knowledge to destroy thier communistic fascism.

Collapse -
NK.....your suggestion that we 'negotiate'
by TONI H / June 24, 2005 5:38 AM PDT

and/or bribe NK with more money for food for their people, and bring THIS example to show how trustworthy they are? YOU give them the money for food in exchange for stopping their nuclear weapons program.....let's see if Canada has any better luck taking them at their word.

What did it cost your country to have the planes diverted to a small community? It was a nice neighborly gesture in order to not have those planes have to turn around and go back to where they started since most were already in the 'past the point of no return' point in the air. However, how many other choices were there? I don't know what Canada's reaction would have been had there been anywhere else for those planes to go right that minute....I like to think they would have made the same decision, but we'll never know because that was the extent of the 'help' given to the USA when an entire city was devastated and thousands of lives were lost when those towers went down damn near on your border.

The people in that community were wonderful to the plane passengers......where were any of the government officials of Canada trying to welcome them, assure them, protect them if need be?

This is an example of why I don't believe your numbers regarding the PEOPLE of Canada not liking us......when it's your government officials who don't. There IS a difference, and your government has been snubbing their noses at us for a while now....the whole time having a spokesman here and there make a comment about how you shouldn't be smug in the hopes that we won't notice that you are.

TONI

Collapse -
You asked
by JP Bill / June 24, 2005 11:49 AM PDT

about Canada doing anything to help the US about everything from the 1905? eathquake in San Francisco to hurricanes and 9/11.

I've answered, you don't like or agree with the answers.

and bring THIS example to show how trustworthy they are?

I didn't bring THIS example to show how trustworthy they are, I brought it to show that the US was bribing the North Koreans not to have a nuclear program. That's what your original question was about.

What did it cost your country to have the planes diverted to a small community?

What did the US pay? (nothing)

However, how many other choices were there?

There was another choice, the planes could have landed in there original destinations. Or be diverted from New York and Washington to other US airports. You want the US to ''go it alone'' and the rest of the world can ''salute your

towers went down damn near on your border.

I don't think so.

and your government has been snubbing their noses at us for a while now....the whole time having a spokesman here and there make a comment about how you shouldn't be smug in the hopes that we won't notice that you are.

Sometimes you're the snubber and sometimes you're the snubee.

Now will you answer a question for me?

Using the same criteria as you are applying to me when you want an example of Canada helping the US during a disaster.

Can you give me an example of the US "helping" Canada during a disaster?

Collapse -
ok and how much is canada paying
by Mark5019 / June 24, 2005 11:53 AM PDT
In reply to: You asked

the usa to protect there skys?

Collapse -
That's your answer?
by JP Bill / June 24, 2005 12:11 PM PDT

ok, just ok.

That's it, that's all you have to say to my question?

Then you ask me a question.

Here's my answer to your question.

ok

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) thats right canadas not paying
by Mark5019 / June 24, 2005 12:30 PM PDT
In reply to: That's your answer?
Collapse -
Korea seems to be a country trying to commit
by Dragon / June 24, 2005 11:03 AM PDT

suicide via its psychopathic leader. Other countries are keeping it alive just a little bit longer. If there were some way to get rid of the leader, things would surely change for the better, if not radically so. It would be worth more to Korea than all the humanitarian assistance anyone has given them.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Turn up the volume with our Apple Byte sweeps!

Two lucky winners will take home the coveted smart speaker that lets Siri help you around your connected house. This sweepstake ends Feb. 25, 2018.