Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Typoglycemia

This looks weird but believe it or not you can read it ...

I cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdanieg The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid Aoccdrnig to rscheearch taem at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Such a cdonition is arppoiately cllaed Typoglycemia :)-

Amzanig huh? Yaeh and yuo awlyas thought slpeling was ipmorantt.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Typoglycemia
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Typoglycemia
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
for some here when the cant argue

In reply to: Typoglycemia

thats all they can do is knock grammer.

but its true very good

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Wow!! That is Amazing!

Collapse -
Very interesting!

I know that before I use Spell Check, what I type looks okay to me! Happy

I started thinking about "speed reading". So I did a Google search. Looking at just one page of results, it looked like there were claims that speed reading is new, and several claim to be the originator.

But there was a woman at least 40-50 years ago who offered a course. I cannot think of her name.

Angeline
Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email
semods4@yahoo.com

Collapse -
Angeline

In reply to: Very interesting!

You are probably thinkg about Evelyn Wood (Speeding Course). I remember that was advertised a lot "back in the days".

Collapse -
Link to Evelyn Wood

In reply to: Angeline

Collapse -
Bingo!

In reply to: Link to Evelyn Wood

Thanks, Walt!

And I was surprised (and pleased) that I had the time frame right. Happy

But I doubt I would ever had remembered her name.

Angeline
Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email
semods4@yahoo.com

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) You're welcome Angeline

In reply to: Bingo!

Collapse -
Doesn't it drive you crazy that something, a name, a phrase,

In reply to: Very interesting!

a concept, a word, that was perfectly accessible yesterday (and probably will be again tomorrow) just ISN'T right now, today. I have so much stuff floating around in my head, but retreival time is way way down these days.

And I couldn't have come up with Evelyn Wood's name on the spur of the moment either.

Rob

Collapse -
Absolutely!

As I just said to Walt, I probably never would have thought of her name.

I use Goggle a lot to try to refresh what I can't recall. Just today I could not think of who worked with Woodward re" All the President's Men". As I recalled the name of the book, finding Bernstein was easy. That is, because I remembered the book title. Happy

That's another good service of Speakeasy. Seems like there is always somebody around to help. Today Ed O'Daniel found a source for a video of "Desert Song"- the Dennis Morgan version. I had spent a long time yesterday looking for it!

Angeline
Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email
semods4@yahoo.com

Collapse -
Can you read this just as easily?

ADOCCNIRG TO A CGMARIDBE UTIERVISNY RRHEESACCH TAEM, IT DOSNE'T METATR IN WAHT OEDRR THE LRTEETS IN A WROD ARE, THE OLNY IROATNPMT TNIHG IS TAHT THE FSIRT AND LSAT LRTEET BE IN THE RGHIT PCALE. I CNUOLDT BVEIELE TAHT I CLUOD AULACLTY UESDNATNRD WAHT I WAS RDANIEG THE PHAONMNEAL PWEOR OF THE HMUAN MNID THE RSET CAN BE A TAOTL MSES AND YOU CAN SITLL RAED IT WOUTHIT A PORBELM. TIHS IS BCUSEAE THE HUAMN MNID DEOS NOT RAED ERVEY LTETER BY ISTLEF, BUT THE WROD AS A WLOHE. SUCH A CDONITION IS ARPPOIATELY CLLAED TYPOGLYCEMIA

Collapse -
This was.....

In reply to: Can you read this just as easily?

actually easier toinal post:) read than the original post

Collapse -
this is too weird

In reply to: This was.....

this is not how the above post looked when I hit submit!!Gremlins again!!! LOL

Collapse -
fascinating and fun

yes, the human mind is truly a miracle and a mystery. I remember when I first decided to focus my college studies in psychology/sociology, in particular counseling (as well as research). Many of the classes dealt with just such things. I remained fascinated with it throughout my schooling, and still am.

Another area where the perception of words as a ''whole,'' rather than each individual letter (hmmm .. kinda' like Gestalt Theory, ''the whole is greater than the sum of its parts''), is in typing / keyboarding. I began taking typing lessons when I was in 7th grade, and by the time I was a Junior in HS was assisting in teaching both beginning typing and Gregg shorthand classes. The reason I became very proficient at typing was due to my HS teacher drumming into us the idea that, unless you are dealing with odd or unusual words or particularly long ones, you do not type by thinking of each ''letter,'' you type by thinking of the ''whole word.''

Don't know if that makes sense to others, but most above average typists do so without really thinking about it. Back in the ''old days'' of the IBM Selectrics and the requirements of ''no mistakes / perfect copy'' I could type around 130 wpm. Can't do that anymore. The fingers and brain are not as swift as they used to be. Happy The last time I was tested for speed was when Orion was a Freshman and made me take some of the timed tests he had to take in his keyboarding class. My best score was 95 wpm with no errors. (He was impressed ;))

Collapse -
You're correct.....

In reply to: fascinating and fun

when typing you should not concentrate on each letter, that slows you down considerably. In college my fastest typing test was 93 WPM with 2 errors.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.