Mac Hardware forum

General discussion

Typing Problems (missing characters)

by DTDunn / December 29, 2009 6:49 AM PST

I am trying to see if anyone else has this problem. I am a two finger typer, but type fairly fast. I write a lot on my computer, every day. Generally, I look at the keyboard when typing. I also tend to type hard, but this issue is there even when I try to type softer.

My problem is that I'll type a paragraph and then look up to proof my text and a significant number of characters are missing. This has continued with three different systems and multiple keyboards (wired and wireless). Apparently, the problem is me, but I am still fascinated by this matter.

I spent a tremendous amount of wasted time adding characters that are missing. Given I type with two fingers, AND I stare at the keyboard, I cannot fathom how so many characters do not appear.

So far on this posting, I have had to add five missing characters. Just imagine how many corrections I have to make in a year. This single problem must cost me days of wasted time.

If you have any suggestions, I am open to anything. I have even thought of filming my typing to assure I hit each key, but could not get a good camera angle. I would need to use at least two cameras.

Anyone else experiencing this?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Typing Problems (missing characters)
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Typing Problems (missing characters)
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Film from the Screen side of the keyboard
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / December 29, 2009 9:10 AM PST

I cannot offer any reason as to why the keys are being missed, if indeed they are, but I could offer some help when it comes to adding the characters back in.

Do you have the System Wide spell checker turned on? If so, all the words with missing characters should show up as spelling mistakes.
Right click them, choose the correct word and replace the word.

Gotta be faster than inserting a character.

Collapse -
System Wide Spell Checker?
by DTDunn / December 29, 2009 10:48 AM PST

I use 10.6.2 OS. Where do I turn on system wide spell checker?

There is some sort of spell checker running in most applications, so I suspect it is on. However, for some reason, in many cases where a character is missing, the computer does not report it as a misspelled word.

Anyway, thanks for your help. I tried filming from the front, but could not get a good camera angle. I'm thinking maybe I need another person to film as I type, moving the camera as needed.

If I am physically missing this many keys, I may need my brain jump started. Typing this simple passage above, I had to insert four missing characters. I am perplexed.

BTW, I am a 53 year old man, educated, and a writer. Just in case someone might think I'm 18 and really have not typed that much.

Two years ago I went to an Apple store and had someone watch me and he said I was hitting the keys, even when charters did not appear. He thought I typed too hard, but as an ex computer tech, I cannot see how that would matter. I try not to type too hard.

Collapse -
Spell Checker,
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / December 29, 2009 8:58 PM PST

if you are seeing Red underlines when you type in this forum, then the Spell Checker is on.
To check, go to Edit > Spelling & Grammar > Check Spelling as I type.

Spell checker should see words with missing characters as misspelled, unless the word still makes sense.

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?