Speakeasy forum

Question

Typing and typing speeds.

by FrankQC / May 2, 2011 3:15 PM PDT

I feel like asking this question to see other people's habits.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Typing and typing speeds.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Typing and typing speeds.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Haven't tested myself in a while
by Steven Haninger / May 2, 2011 7:05 PM PDT

I have a standard qwery keyboard. It's a Cherry brand from Germany and 16 X 7" so smaller than some. I took typing on an old "Blunderwood" Happy in high school back in the '60s...a mechanical type, of course...and still use the classic position. As for touch typing, it comes rather naturally for all letters, numbers, basic punctuation, etc. I will need to look when using the numeric keypad or typing special characters...whatever they are called. As for speed, I said I've not bothered to test myself as I'm not sure what the rules are now. I believe, back when, it was based on a 5 character word average and being mistake free. I'm fairly certain I could hit 80 wpm at one time when using the Blunderwood but that was when sprinting. Long distance typing I don't know about. Happy

Collapse -
Answer
My poor excuse I call typing
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / May 2, 2011 7:29 PM PDT

Which keyboard layout do you use? - Standard Desktop PC type keyboard.

How do you place your fingers on the keyboard? - Wherever they happen to fall! Happy

Do you touchtype? - Yes

How many words per minute can you achieve? - I haven't reached 'words per minute' yet!

I am self-taught, and frankly, (no pun intended with your name Frank), it shows. If I can type a single, simple, sentence without typing errors that is an achievement.

I blame the keyboard.

Mark

Collapse -
Good response, Mark. You wrote what I feel.
by Ziks511 / May 5, 2011 4:31 AM PDT

!!!! You mean some people can type more than 5 words a minute !? Wow !! Wink

Rob

Collapse -
Answer
My only "special" thing is
by Roger NC / May 3, 2011 7:49 AM PDT

I much prefer what they call the "natural keyboards". That's the one with a slight angle in both up in height and angled away from user from the center toward the edges.

Collapse -
Ditto on the keyboard. Thanks for the mouse link.
by drpruner / May 5, 2011 2:45 AM PDT

PARC would be proud of you. Happy

Collapse -
Answer
Standard keyboard
by Diana Forum moderator / May 3, 2011 12:08 PM PDT

I touch type. As to speed, it depends on whether the cat is between me and the keyboard or not. Grin

Diana

Collapse -
They're always in the middle of what you want to do, aren't
by Ziks511 / May 5, 2011 4:35 AM PDT
In reply to: Standard keyboard

they. In the middle of the newspaper, and usually on the article you're reading. On the keyboard. A friend's cat used to curl up on top of the TV box, blocking all air circulation. Of course, it was nice and warm.

Rob

Collapse -
Answer
IBM standard keyboard
by James Denison / May 3, 2011 11:26 PM PDT

Anything smaller is too small for my hands and I'd have to jab instead of touch type.

Collapse -
Answer
Tried Dvorak once but QWERTY is too ingrained.
by drpruner / May 5, 2011 2:38 AM PDT

I once tested for a job requiring 45wpm and passed.

For extra credit: I took typing in HS (manual Remingtons) in order to meet girls. Found out a typing nerd is still a nerd, but I did learn to type, which has served me well since. Happy

Collapse -
Yeap, Dvorak is designed for speed
by Roger NC / May 5, 2011 8:10 AM PDT

whereas QWERTY was deliberately designed to slow the fastest people down. Original manual typewriters jammed too much when used too fast.

Collapse -
I don't doubt a huge increase. And accuracy comes
by drpruner / May 5, 2011 9:45 AM PDT

at the same time. Our school tests always factored both, as does most typing s/w.

Collapse -
Interesting.
by FrankQC / May 6, 2011 7:31 AM PDT

I should get familiar with Dvorak then. Currently I'm averaging ~130-140 words per minute on Qwerty. If it indeed doubles the speed, I wouldn't mind having 260-280 words per minute =)

Collapse -
A claim I've read,
by Roger NC / May 6, 2011 10:05 AM PDT
In reply to: Interesting.

don't know if there is any data to really back it up or not.

Collapse -
A little google research suggests the Dvorak
by Steven Haninger / May 6, 2011 10:20 AM PDT
In reply to: A claim I've read,

might realize a gain of somewhere between 15 -25% depending on the individual. I'd agree that becoming proficient at both would be very difficult if not impossible. A proper measurement of speed improvement would involve two separate groups....each of whom learned or stayed with one method. There's something in learning processes called positive or negative "transfer". This means that some things we learn to do can be an aid to learning something else while others do the opposite and impede the learning process. I would think that learning one keyboard layout would be an impediment to learning one that was largely different.

Collapse -
(NT) Much more reasonable % claim, I figured other was hyperbole
by Roger NC / May 7, 2011 8:02 AM PDT
Collapse -
The record for typists, in the days
by drpruner / May 9, 2011 5:47 AM PDT
In reply to: Interesting.

when such contests were sponsored, was close to 200, I think. (Ask the Great God Google, to be sure. Laugh )
That would be electric and QWERTY.

Collapse -
Answer
QWERTY. Home row asdfg ;lkjh, Yes, but I learned very late.
by Ziks511 / May 5, 2011 4:27 AM PDT

I have no clue, but it's not fast. Probably not more than 30 wpm, probably closer to 20 when I'm composing.

Rob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?