Mac OS forum

Question

Two wireless networks with the same name - how to delete one

by fosterpapillon / June 26, 2012 3:54 PM PDT

I have a wireless network called WiMAX - as far as I can see, I have only one. When visitors log in, they are presented with two networks to join, both called WiMAX, one of which is password protected (WPA2 Personal) and one which isn't. How do I locate and delete the un-passworded one?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Two wireless networks with the same name - how to delete one
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Two wireless networks with the same name - how to delete one
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Re: wireless network
by Kees_B Forum moderator / June 26, 2012 6:23 PM PDT

Possibly it's another network with the same name. Why not rename yours to something more unique?

Kees

Collapse -
How do I rename the network?
by fosterpapillon / June 27, 2012 2:45 PM PDT
In reply to: Re: wireless network

If I choose System Preferences->Network, it shows the network name as WiMAX and I can't change it. If I click the Advanced button, I can change the name, which I have done - to TooraMAX. Clicking OK, I return to the main window but the name didn't change there. Some time later, I opened System Preferences->Network again, clicked on Advanced and the window now displays two networks, WiMAX and TooraMAX, both of which are shown as having WPA2 security.

If I then fire up Wi-Fi on another device (Kindle Touch), I'm still given the choice of two networks, both called WiMAX, one secured, the other not.

I guess I could wipe everything and start again but the initial Airpot and network set-up was such a nightmare that I shudder at the thought of going through it again.

The network is via an Apple Airport.

Collapse -
You have an unsecured wireless network running
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / June 27, 2012 9:56 PM PDT

on the Airport.

Use Airport Utility to access the Airport base station and reconfigure the wireless networks on it.

System Preferences will do nothing for you as there is nothing in there that is actually broadcasting the names of your Wireless network.

Resetting everything back to factory defaults and re-reading the instructions would be a good move. Airport setup is really a basic step by step procedure and does not have to be complicated at all.

P

Collapse -
Simple tasks have a habit of complicating themselves :)
by fosterpapillon / June 28, 2012 11:08 AM PDT

Thanks for that info - I may try that later but, in the interim, I have contacted my ISP who tested the router, declared it faulty and will replace it in a day or two. We'll see what happens then.

michael

Collapse -
Answer
Is it possible that your Wireless router
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / June 26, 2012 10:32 PM PDT

is pushing out two signals.

One is the main one, with a password and the other is a "Guest" network which does not have a password.

Refer to your user manual for details of how to set these up, or remove them.

Either way, you will need to access your wireless router to do anything with that other network

P

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.