Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Two WinXP instances on one laptop

by togauk / March 25, 2011 10:49 PM PDT

My laptop from work is completely locked down, I can't install anything so can't really use it for personal use.

Instead of buying another laptop to use at home I was wondering if it would be possible to use an external hard drive with another instance of Windows installed? At work I would boot from the laptop drive to my work WinXP but to use at home I would go to BIOS setup and change it to boot from the external drive which has my personal version installed.

Is this kind of setup possible and would there be any issues running these alongside each other?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Two WinXP instances on one laptop
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Two WinXP instances on one laptop
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Several problems . . .
by Coryphaeus / March 25, 2011 11:41 PM PDT

Two of which are the most important.

You expect us to tell you how to break into a corporate computer?

You expect us to tell you how to break into a corporate computer?

It's locked down for a reason. It's theirs.

Collapse -
Good point but...
by togauk / March 26, 2011 1:15 AM PDT
In reply to: Several problems . . .

I just want to make efficient use of the hardware. Seems a pity to have to carry 2 laptops & chargers around.

Collapse -
I understand.
by Coryphaeus / March 26, 2011 5:49 AM PDT
In reply to: Good point but...

But as once being part of a corporate IT department, what you want to do is major frowned upon. My first quiestion, as someone who might need to reconfigure, reimage, or repair said corporate laptop, and if I found evidence of other "stuff" on that corporate hard drive, which it WILL show up in a cache, buried deep in Documents and Settings, etc., trust me, I might have to report you.

Just trying to help you keep your job. Where I used to work, if it was found that you even put a wallpaper on the machine, you were gone.

Collapse -
Just to add to that.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / March 26, 2011 5:56 AM PDT
In reply to: I understand.

Where I worked, in charge of 200 or so computers, anyone found tampering or changing things with the computers they were allocated became subject to disciplinary proceedings.

The fact is, these systems are not personal computers but belong to the employer and are their property. Any changes need to be approved first.

Mark

Collapse -
If I ignore that it's not your laptop.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 26, 2011 5:54 AM PDT

Windows as supplied does not boot and run from common external drives. And even if you managed to fix that issue, the USB 2.0 speed is so bad that you would realize why so few are stepping up to help you do this.

You might expect them to help you make it run nicely.
Bob

Collapse -
Thanks for the answers
by togauk / March 26, 2011 8:07 AM PDT

Thanks for the answers guys. This is clearly not the way to go - much better to buy another laptop I think...

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

We are giving away 'Black Panther' swag!

Four lucky readers will be taking home *Marvel*ous "Black Panther" prizes, including magazines autographed by the King of Wakanda himself! Giveaway ends Feb. 25, 2018.