TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

two-way radios

by TheWebWorks / March 17, 2005 8:05 PM PST

I am having trouble finding information on 2-way radios. We would like to get a set that has a 5 or 7 mile range, but I cannot find any reviews that state which type is better. We currently have Motorola Talkabout 5820's, but the range on those is terrible. I have seen Cobra and Uniden models, and I wonder if anyone can give me an opionion on what would be a good choice.

Thanks in advance!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: two-way radios
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: two-way radios
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Buyer beware
by noemybwenda / October 31, 2005 1:24 AM PST
In reply to: two-way radios

Before you make your purchace be sure look up the price, is it for one or two that they are quoting.
Good luck
Noemy

Collapse -
2 way GMRS, 22 channels plus side channels
by Bulldozer1 / June 13, 2006 6:51 PM PDT
In reply to: two-way radios

Ha ha looks good ''Benjisbest promoting Benjisbest.com''
Anyway I use the Cobra and the Uniden brand but cannot say one is better than the other. I bought a cheap set first to see if they where anygood at all. The cheap set(Uniden)was good for about half a mile clearly, but no where near the promoted 3miles. I was then told that the GMRS would be a far better choice, this product was promoting a range of 8 miles, I'm lucky if I get a mile. I could get a fair distance on open water I'll grant you that, but not the stated range on the packaging. Once you get around the bend on a lake forget it. Drop in a mountain or a hill... Line of sight just like a bullet, the more obsticles the worse it gets. For small hand held communication, shrt distance they are great, they go farther than the 2way VHF radio's we use at work and clearer sound quality. I attempted when I first got the GMRS radio's to call UNIDEN customer support. I wanted to know which channels where GMRS? The lady on the phone could not answer me, all she said was "It must be the first 8 channels I think",( on these GMRS radio's 8 channels are GMRS the rest(14)are FRS) It comes down to ''You Get What You Payed For'', but don't believe the promoted range till you try it for yourself.
One of the features that the Unidens have is the ''Channel Scanner'' you can set the channels to flip through the 22 channels, I found this good on the lake to evesdrop on other fishermen, find out what's workin where they maybe biting. ''Channel Monitoring'' was also handy when your other party was dropping outta range, although it was very noisy when in this mode.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?