Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

Two viruses I was unaware of and can't find any information

hello to whom ever can help me track down some information on two viruses, one is reflive.exe and mathfragbold.exe, I believe it is spyware but I am not sure, my virus protect went down for a day or two and all I had was my anti-spyware protector. whoever it didn't stop these virus or spyware to invade my computer. I reinstalled a new virus protector and that couldn't get rid of them it just says its at risk. I searched google and other sites but have nothing on them yet. Please help me to investigate and rid this problem I have.

thank you muchly,
Colin

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Two viruses I was unaware of and can't find any information
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Two viruses I was unaware of and can't find any information
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Colin.. it would help to know

In reply to: Two viruses I was unaware of and can't find any information

which 'anti-spyware protector' identified this....in addition to the name of your 'new virus protector' that couldn't get rid of it and say's you "are at risk".

I'm sure other's have more questions, but you may as well begin here, as the information is important.

For starters..

Carol

Collapse -
Sorry I am knew with the forum world

In reply to: Colin.. it would help to know

Okay, I use spy sweeper I am not sure of the version right now I am on another computer but its the latest with all the updates I have made sure of that. For anti-virus I have been using Norton Systemworks 2005 with all the updates as well. I searched Nortons website for any indication of reflive.exe and mathfragbold.exe but nothing came up. However I know that norton indicated them as well. Oh another to mention is nt_hide79.dll and pokapoka79.exe, this is the first time I have encountered an issue that I couldn't get rid of. I guess when I said to my friend I haven't had a virus on my computer yet, I should have knocked on wood.
I am running Windows Xp with service pack 1, I found to many issues with service pack 2.

Colin

Collapse -
You have the EliteBar at the very least

In reply to: Sorry I am knew with the forum world

Marianna gave me this link and suggestion. ''pokapoka79.exe'' is part of EliteBar. PLEASE read the whole page so you know what is going on and then try the tool. IF it doesn't work, don't get disappointed, we can try other things.

EliteToolbar Remover v2.1.1
Freeware anti-malware

http://www.simplytech.it/ETRemover/index_e.htm

Scroll down till you see: Bottom of the page

To download the *new* version 2.1.2 of the program click here! <<< This will be a direct zip file download at the website.

Collapse -
Okay, I got it taken care of

In reply to: You have the EliteBar at the very least

Hey, I was looking at another section in the forums and tobeach mentioned a site that allows you a free full version of a program EWIDO it worked great got rid of the spyware on my laptop but once I have an opportunity to look at my home PC I will see how that turns out. thanks for everyones help on this. However, it still irritates me that all you can do is get rid of it and not prevent it from happening again, I might just try this program EWIDO on my computer on more time and see how it works and then order it.

Collapse -
you are right!

In reply to: You have the EliteBar at the very least

it was an elitetoolbar and it was probably the worst one I have ever encountered, usually it was a simple remove or uninstall, but this one was deep into the registry. I might try your option on the next issue if EWIDO anti-malware doesn't work. thanks

Colin

Collapse -
Hi Colin, ewido is a great tool

In reply to: you are right!

but it's not going to work on EliteBar. Try what I suggested earlier. Also, there is not a special website that has a free version of ewido. It's free for everyone after the 14 day trial period regardless of where you download it from. The only thing you lose if you don't buy it is the process guard and the auto updating but you can still update manually and scan with it. I would suggest using it on a regular basis on both of your computers. I usually prefer to download these programs from the author's website myself, which is here.
http://www.ewido.net/en/

Collapse -
AS Curcat Said : More Info. Look at This Site & See if Any .

In reply to: Two viruses I was unaware of and can't find any information

Collapse -
No indication of the anti-spyware program

In reply to: AS Curcat Said : More Info. Look at This Site & See if Any .

Thanks for the site I didn't know that there were that many out there. But I didn't see any indication of Spysweeper. Its a good information site. Don't mind if I use it to research a better anti-spyware program. as I said to curcat its spysweeper and norton systemworks 2005 with all the possible uupdates that I know of.

Colin

Collapse -
Maybe A Scan for More Info?

In reply to: No indication of the anti-spyware program

Hi, Colin,
SpySweeper is fine.

One of those file names sounds familiar.

Do you by any chance use MessengerPlus? It is not written by Microsoft and can install spyware.

Try an online scan at Panda and see if it finds anything.
http://www.pandasoftware.com/products/activescan.htm You need to use Internet Explorer for this scan.
[*]Once you get to the Panda site, scroll down a bit and click on Scan your PC
[*]A new window will appear; click on Check Now!
[*]A new window will appear; fill in the boxes (Country, State, email addy)
If you have never used ActiveScan before, you will be prompted to install an ActiveX control (asinst.cab) : Click on Install. Panda will install the component, and then install the latest signature files.
[*]From ''Select a device to scan...'', choose ''My Computer''
[*]Allow the scan to run. It'll take a while.
[*]When complete, click on ''See Report'', and then on ''Save report''; save it to a convenient location.

The scan might not fix anything, but it will give you more informaton.
Let us know how things go.

Collapse -
I am not sure

In reply to: Maybe A Scan for More Info?

I don't like the idea of using an online scan, I just have a bad feeling about it. I am not saying I have a logical or technical reason. Maybe it was word of mouth or the idea of some online software can access my hard drive deeply. Thanks for the idea though in most cases if it happens again, I will most definitely take that in consideration. But EWIDO seemed to have worked so far. But I usually get my hopes and then kicked to the curb so if it does work you will hear from me in the future to reply your option after trying it. Cheers!

Collapse -
You're Right to be Cautious of Free Online Scans, Especially

In reply to: I am not sure

from pop-up ads or "sponsored" ones.
There are a number of Reputable ones including (but not limited too) Trend Micro Housecalls (for either IE or any browser using Javascript) Panda, F-secure, Norton etc. Best to get recommendations from a reliable site and always use originators site.
Several listed here:
http://reviews.cnet.com/5208-6132-0.html?forumID=32&threadID=114259&messageID=1298628
Personally use & trust Housecalls. The Javascan is much quicker than Active-X ones as it doesn't have to download "the works". Enjoy! Grin

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.