Computer Help forum

General discussion

two video cards - one pc?

by pagow / March 28, 2004 11:12 PM PST

I have a Windows XP machine with lots of memory and more hd space than I can fathom.

I have a Radeon 9600 Pro that is unable to run an older 3dfx based game, even with the latest Glide wrapper (crashes out).

Can I safely install an old 3dfx card into a free PCI slot? I understand that XP will allow you to set up different hardware profiles. Would this allow me to select which card to load on startup?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: two video cards - one pc?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: two video cards - one pc?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:two video cards - one pc?
by Yew / March 29, 2004 5:17 AM PST

You might have a problem finding drivers for XP, since nVidia bought out 3dfx and basically killed the line off. Some of the fomer developers have been keeping the drivers up to date in their free time, or were last I knew a few years ago.

Assuming you can find drivers, there shouldn't be much of a problem with the video cards conflicting if it doesn't work like you want.

Just remember that all 3dfx cards (that I know of) only accelerate 3D graphics at the 16-bit color resolution. So if you run 24 or 32-bit on your Radeon card, it might default to that even if you use a different hardware profile.

Collapse -
by GeeBee / April 2, 2004 6:57 AM PST

In the past (many years ago) we used to have a PC with three 3D cards in. One was a a TNT2 Ultra (2D + primary 3D), a Righteous 3Dfx Voodoo 2 (Secondary 3D), and a Videologic PowerVR1, and they all happily co-existed in one PC.

There's still a use for setups like this, as you've rightly pointed out that 3Dfx GLide wrappers for old "classic" games just don't seem to work on modern graphics cards. The trick is to use an application to control what 3D card is to be used by the games.

The "Help" page that explains how to do it is still located at :

http://members.lycos.co.uk/gording/

GeeBee

Collapse -
by ronclon / April 2, 2004 1:39 PM PST

if you have a voodoo 2 you dont even need to set up a profile. it will run when you use a game that uses glide. in fact you can put in two voodoo 2's together for double the memory via a sli cable.you can get drivers here http://www.3dfxzone.it/index.php

Collapse -
Re:Re:two video cards - one pc?
by ronclon / April 2, 2004 1:40 PM PST

you connect the them to your existing vga card. forgot to add that.

Collapse -
Huh?....
by John Robie / April 3, 2004 1:29 AM PST

News to me. Never knew you could install a older video card in WinXP to make older games compatible and play. I just don't believe that would work. Can't find anything from Microsoft that indicates a connection to the video card for game compatibility with WinXP. For compatibility of older stuff with WinXP go here for tips/info:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/using/howto/gethelp/appcompat.asp

You didn't indicated what game you are trying to play on WinXP that doesn't work. It may be listed here (scroll down):

http://home.earthlink.net/~angeldancer27/XpGameList.htm

John
Also a non-pro or hard core gamer (72 yrs old). Wink

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?