Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Two Schoolyard Bullies, chapter one

by netsky / November 1, 2004 11:10 AM PST

Coral Gables Elementary School.

A beautiful old building- do a google. in America's most well planned city, "The City Beautiful".

My dad attended there. So did I.

now it is 1965 again.

Eddy T is one of the few students smaller than i.

He's a tough kid, though. As Irish in manner and swagger as James Cagney.

He hangs with giant, cretinous lunks who even at age 11 loom large over the elementary population.

Eddie is always proving himself worthy of association wth the foot-taller big dogs by acting the part of wise-guy tough guy.

He jeers and works me to get my temper up every chance. He sticks his face into mine and threatens. I shove him away and aim a pencil at his arm like a dagger.

"HEY, you STUCK me!!" "NOW you're gonna get it!!"

His lunk-head protectors all laugh at this comedy.

"Yeah, Welch- you and EDDY are gonna have to fight this one out!"

Eddy says "YEAH! After school today you are coming with US" he says with a sweeping gesture to his three goliath protectors.

But i know, i know, the fight is strictly between Eddy and myself.

Class lets out. We five leave the grounds on foot. We march across Ponce de Leon Bld, down Minorca a few doors to an allyway between two buildings. THIS is the place for the fight.

GET him, Eddy!

And the fight is on.

Five seconds of footwork. Eddy dances within my superior reach.

POP.

"OWWWWWWWW! By Doze!"

(that's Eddy talking, not i)

A dripping of blood from a pug's nose. No more fight; both hands to his face and tears already starting.

"SHEEEESH, what a *****!" unisoned the three hulks. Off they stalk in disgust. Fight OVER.

Eddy and I are left alone.

We walk the block together to the Bus Terminal.

He goes his way, i go mine and never was there another cross word between us.

I hung alone after that day.

So did Eddy T.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Two Schoolyard Bullies, chapter one
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Two Schoolyard Bullies, chapter one
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
chapter two
by netsky / November 1, 2004 11:23 AM PST

Leonard G was another kind of bully. An independent bully. A big, heavy kid of black hair and black heart.

Forcing pain on other kids was his lifesblood.

I forced back one day on the playing field and would've been murdered i think, save for an unexpected intervention:

"No, leonard! Don't do it! For my sake, don't hit reid!"

Bobby Chumbley saved my doze that day and I never forgot his instant, manly aid.

Leonard left me with a sneer and a warning.

I watched him go through middle school and high school. Always a controller, always malevolent.

I read about him in the paper a few years back. The family business a ''' products company here in Miami.

The largest in the South. He had taken over from his aging and ailing dad not long before.

Newly expanded, hundreds of new employees. Gross annual revenue- i kid you not- of four billion dollars per year.

So, bullies DO not finish last, not always.

more Epilogue: Eddy T I last saw at the 1992 twenty year reunion. An attorney in private practice then, upstate. A very convivial, glad-handing, still Cagney-looking fellow. Forced his card into my hand with a two handed hand shake. No hate and no imbalance that i could see in him anymore.

The lunks who once abandonned Eddy on the battlefield? One i know met with an early end of dissoluion. Another I ran into quite by accident in the aftermath of Hurricane Andrew. A broken spirited broken shell. Full of Jesus and quite clearly a babbling mental case professing all his love and salvation comes from Jesus. Not his fault-it was some sort of chemical problem in his brain. So sincerly well-wishing to me, and taking care of his dying mother even tho he had no employment nor other family or prospect for future happiness.

I suppose by now he is evaporated and here I give a final mourn for that once formidable giant who was really never more than just another lost child.

Collapse -
Re: chapter two
by netsky / November 1, 2004 11:33 AM PST
In reply to: chapter two

required all of 13 minutes of my time.

the more i write the easier it is to write.

THIS sort of stuff I could not do one year ago.

Therefore, what i propose is for you readers to be brave and test and train and put up your own "life essays" of whatever has happened to you over the years.

the well is inexhaustible.

mine and yours.

the material is all there to be hauled out by bucketsfull.

What i do with easy prose and massive typos is no great feat. It's in you, too.

let it out, it is there. let it out and do a public good if only by diversion and entertainment.

There are no other comparisons between me and thee to be made other than this: that you have stories to tell too- original truths of unique circumstance.

I used to think that nothing much ever had happened in my life. No, that was wrong and shrinking of me.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?